collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth Yakima Early Archery Cow Elk  (Read 4008 times)

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Youth Yakima Early Archery Cow Elk
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »
the kid drew and was able to burn all his remaining youth points his last year of eligibility and pulled the Yakima Early Archery Cow Permit (336, 340, 352, 356, 364) and our only concern is that it is open (Sept. 11-23) the same time as the archery spike elk OTC hunt...hoping we don't get guys in there bumping the cows as spikes will be with them until the big boys push them off. Planning on doing some scouting over the summer in the backcountry (our preferred way to hunt). In case anyone is wondering, he is 15 (obviously) and is an avid hunter with every weapon type, including his bows (he shoots both compound and traditional...he will be using his compound for this hunt) and killed a whitetail buck when he was 13 by "spot and stalk" with his bow...(figured I'd shut up the internet police on their thoughts on a youth archery elk tag before they start giving "advice" in equipment and proficiency).

Always looking for areas if anyone has any input...we mostly hunt across the highway to the north...in the backcountry.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Youth Yakima Early Archery Cow Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
I've been in two of those units and you should have a good chance of running into cows.  I haven't hunted archery, but if it's anything like rifle you will have plenty of company.  It was unreal how many people hunted a general tag.

With 5 units, as long as you don't get shut out by big fires you should be able to find a place with reasonable hunting.  The one suggestion I would have is to stay mobile, scouting is great, but it will all change a day or two before the general opener.  Be ready to move as necessary.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 11:56:55 AM »
Thanks Stein....and that is the plan! He really wants to do a backcountry hunt, but with school back in full time next year (last year he did a lot of "remote" school via idaho deer and elk camps) we know that we need to not put all our effort into one hike-in spot and then find out its popular with spike hunters too. He will only have the two weekends to get it done, as we are heading to Idaho in Oct and he can't miss that much school. We plan on having several "back up" plans!

Grade

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 12:01:06 PM »
I've done internet scouting, found a great place, hiked in 5-6 miles and then stumbled on a huge horse camp site more than once in those units.  I'm glad I did that scouting and not hunting as it would have burned a day or two.  That's the big problem with backcountry hunting is that you are committed to an area and it takes time to get in, out and move as opposed to day hunting where you can move in minutes.  It can be a beautiful oasis all to yourself in July and August and then a huge traffic jam in September through November.

Both are great and work, I wouldn't do backcountry without plenty of scouting and backup plans, especially on a permit hunt.

Good luck, wish I was hunting that tag.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 12:11:07 PM »
My 13 year old daughter drew a late season archery cow tag this year.  Will be here first attempt at archery hunting.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »
Stay out of manastash and Rimrock and you'll be pretty alone with even a moderate distance from the road. You'll be walking past elk to find elk if you pack in fyi. I get and support the desire to backpack hunt though so if thats what he wants to do I say go for it  :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 05:22:16 PM »
As Karl Blanchard said stay out of Rimrock but since the rule change disallowing cow tags I've heard the archer numbers are way down in Rimrock unit. If that's the case, that area might be an ideal hunt. The backside of rimrock is full of elk. You could camp at any number of places and be a few minutes away from any number of good spots. If you hit Rimrock, I would camp at clear lake and have several spots that you can jump around to.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 10:33:35 PM »
Thanks everyone!...scouting season to begin, along with daily bow practice for the kid...looking at several spots and being mobile, yet still hike into some places.

Grade

Offline Danjoyls2k

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 09:13:51 PM »
Look into previous burns. LN has a few that are looking productive. My plans changed and I am heading for unit 249 (my 12yo son has dreams of getting a bull) but I'll be back in this burn from the 15-19. Good luck out there.
Caaacaaa

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 06:28:25 AM »
There is not many archery " spike " hunters out , I definitely wouldn't worry about being crowded. The ones that do try realize it's futile after the first weekend.  Also as stated if hiking in ur probably passing a lot of the better hunting plus not as far to pack out. Good luck .

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 06:37:21 AM »
Look into previous burns. LN has a few that are looking productive. My plans changed and I am heading for unit 249 (my 12yo son has dreams of getting a bull) but I'll be back in this burn from the 15-19. Good luck out there.
Caaacaaa
if LN stands for "Little Naches", you should know that there is no general archery season open in 346 and there are no archery cow tags valid in 346.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Danjoyls2k

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 04:54:45 PM »
Caaacaaa
if LN stands for "Little Naches", you should know that there is no general archery season open in 346 and there are no archery cow tags valid in 346.
Yeah, just had a little brain fart, I thought the youth cow included 346.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 09:35:29 PM »
thanks for all the info! (we already knew 346 was not part of the permit/tag...) and heading in tomorrow to do some scouting and exploring. The kid was going over maps tonight and realized he has a ton of area and is getting excited for the hunt. Now to narrow it down and see what the area is like. Going to backpack in to a spot overnight, with thermacells as bugs are bad right now, and sleep under the stars...though it looks like clouds will make their way in by Sat morning. Then spend the day flyfishing the streams and rivers and scouting the roads for the back-up plan B come Sept.

Grade

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
thanks for all the info! (we already knew 346 was not part of the permit/tag...) and heading in tomorrow to do some scouting and exploring. The kid was going over maps tonight and realized he has a ton of area and is getting excited for the hunt. Now to narrow it down and see what the area is like. Going to backpack in to a spot overnight, with thermacells as bugs are bad right now, and sleep under the stars...though it looks like clouds will make their way in by Sat morning. Then spend the day flyfishing the streams and rivers and scouting the roads for the back-up plan B come Sept.

Grade

Nice. If you catch some bull trout treat them with care. Make sure you drive tieton road along the back side of Rimrock and Clear Lake. The hillsides/ridges to the south of the lakes are pretty loaded, but its thick.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 08:41:06 AM »
Thanks OutHouse...the bull trout were safe, as he only got to fish a few minutes at some alpine lakes...mostly because we were trying to cover some ground for scouting his elk hunt. We found elk, lots of them, and few people, learned some new areas and are excited for his Sept. hunt. So glad we did this scouting trip, as we covered 11.7 miles of trails, learned water sources (clean to drink for us, and some wallows for the elk) and also learned to scratch one trail off our list as it was brutal! (exposed rocks, roots, and steep....ok to go up, but not to pack an elk out....my ankles are still hurting!).

The kid is pretty hard set on the backcountry part of the hunt...we saw lots of elk sign down "low" driving to the trailhead, but once we were in the high country and playing with the elk the decision was easy, it's about the hunt, not the kill...plus we drew Idaho cow elk tags (rifle) and he mentioned how he just want's to hunt elk in the bugle with his bow, even if it's just for a cow or spike, but he can play with the bulls and have fun, knowing he still has a late rifle hunt in Idaho.

It was a great scouting trip and thanks everyone for the info! Sept can't get here fast enough!

Grade

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]