collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Frank Church  (Read 5689 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Frank Church
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 07:15:37 PM »
You fellas are in denial. This area is one of the two ground zero spots in Idaho for Canadian Wolf introduction. I talked to an old salt in Elk City that was there when the idiots released the first few breeding pairs. He said the hippies (his words, not mine), we’re howling and cheering like they had did something good. Again, yes there are still elk there but a minuscule amount to what they were. The folks in elk city can tell you in graphic detail how the wolves come in, close to town and other calving areas, to kill the calves and recovering cows. It’s no joke. I know my buddy and I saw more wolf sign than elk on our hunt. And yes, we covered some area. Hunt there if you wish, good luck. Beautiful country, some of the best.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:23:36 PM by WapitiTalk1 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 07:38:24 PM »
Exactly. If your gunna pay the money for a guided back country elk hunt do it somewhere with good numbers.
Go hawks

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
Well someone is killing 205 bulls last year.

I'm not going to try encourage or discourage anyone, but that is 1 bull taken for every 11,750 acres over the course of 2+ months.  I have hunted FC 10 years between 8 and 16 days every trip and love it, and do see bulls but I would go somewhere else if paying a guide. Myself would probably lean toward Bob Marshall but more because I have never been there.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »
You don't go to "Church" to kill a big bull...you go there to attend Church. It is an amazing place, deer numbers are good (not necessarily big bucks), elk numbers are enough to make it worth while but it is the experience that draws me to the Frank...been there 15 times in the last 30 years and can't wait to go back.

Here is a movie made in there last year, a deer hunt, but it gives you an idea of the area and the hunt for a DIY style...

https://www.westernhuntingjournal.com/fng-in-the-frank-church/

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 06:58:38 AM »
Rory mentioned the wolves... ive been hunting idaho for 20 years, in a lot of different units and though I hear them every few years, ive yet to actually lay my eyes on one, though not for a lack of effort when I hear them.  So last year due to a wyoming elk hunt messing up my general season idaho trip, I opted to hit the church early for deer. Like I said previously I couldn't swing a dead cat around that place without hitting a bull. I saw 15 different bulls in 8 days of hunting. Anyways, deer was a different story. I was 6 days into my hunt and I'd only seen maybe 4 or 5 dinker bucks and a couple doe's. Evening of day 6 I finally got glass on a shooter and he was big big big. Day 7 I couldn't turn him up. Morning of day 8 found me glassing from a different angle and sure enough there he was. I probably could have killed him from where I was but i needed to cover about 600 yards to put me in a slam dunk solid shooting position. So i drop out of sight and beat feet to a small knoll I was gonna kill him from. Get to the knoll, drop pack, catch my breath, deploy the bipod, and slither up to the edge. As im scooting the gun into its final position a doe damn near runs me over. Then another. There's deer scattering in all directions. Then out ahead of me I see a massive set of antlers screaming across the hillside heading for a big deep canyon and he has two wolves hot on his tail! They were out of sight in a flash. I wanted to cry!

Few minutes go by and out of the bottom come the howls.  So I howl back. Then they howl back. I respond again, then silence again. Ive hunted enough canines to know I should be somewhat ready though I'm thinking no way they are coming up here. Well all be damned if they didn't.  Unfortunately the timber below was thick and the thermals screwed me and away they went. I got a crack at them as they blew out across the open on the other side but it was a hail Mary at best.

Ive always wanted to see a wolf and even more so want to kill one but not at the expense of a buck of that caliber :'( I tracked them into the drainage as best as I could to see if I could either find that buck dead or maybe find him in there resting but no dice. I day drream that he got away sigh
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 10:29:15 AM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fbennett12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
Bear hunted the church in 19'... My buddy was calling and she came in on a rope at a full sprint.... we hunted for 10 days and saw lots of elk a few bears and this one lone wolf. Double D Ranch has a nice set up and does spike hunts if that is your thing. We packed in and were DIY... great to never see another sole for miles in god's country!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »
You don't go to "Church" to kill a big bull...you go there to attend Church. It is an amazing place, deer numbers are good (not necessarily big bucks), elk numbers are enough to make it worth while but it is the experience that draws me to the Frank...been there 15 times in the last 30 years and can't wait to go back.

Here is a movie made in there last year, a deer hunt, but it gives you an idea of the area and the hunt for a DIY style...

https://www.westernhuntingjournal.com/fng-in-the-frank-church/

Grade
I watched the entire video; it was awesome. Thanks for sharing that.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »
Great Video

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 04:15:23 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why Karl is packing dead cats into that country...I can barley get my camp in under weight.

Also pro tip of the day ..if you fly in make sure your life insurance is current...for some reason that's the only place that's tried to kill me on multiple occasions flying in ...weird, I know.  :chuckle:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 05:49:34 PM »
Cool video 👍 I will be in there this year

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 09:32:09 PM »
The best part of that video is the last 30 seconds...the very last 30 seconds...after the credits. A short blooper reel, and it's a good laugh if you have ever tried to film a hunt!

I am missing out on the Frank this year, heading to a whitetail unit for my deer tag and a cow tag for a high desert area, plus tagging along for a backcountry elk hunt (just packing for a buddy...but taking a 6.5 Needmoor for wolf), then off to Montana and some Washington hunts...ironically, with all of those hunts planned, I would trade them all for a late season NR draw deer tag and an elk tag for the Frank. I will be back next year!

Grade

PS. sorry to hijack the thread, but I think the consensus is to go hunt it, a bull is a bonus.
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 09:44:44 PM »
You fellas are in denial. This area is one of the two ground zero spots in Idaho for Canadian Wolf introduction. I talked to an old salt in Elk City that was there when the idiots released the first few breeding pairs. He said the hippies (his words, not mine), we’re howling and cheering like they had did something good. Again, yes there are still elk there but a minuscule amount to what they were. The folks in elk city can tell you in graphic detail how the wolves come in, close to town and other calving areas, to kill the calves and recovering cows. It’s no joke. I know my buddy and I saw more wolf sign than elk on our hunt. And yes, we covered some area. Hunt there if you wish, good luck. Beautiful country, some of the best.

:yeah: I haven’t been in there for a while but we took our own horses into 17 and the rancher down in the bottom showed us cages where they kept the wolves before release. It was truly ground zero and there was very few elk. I’m going this year but more deer hunt we will probably have 1 elk tag out of 3 hunters. It’s so huge I’m sure there is some good elk areas in there. I would agree that to pay a guide I would do Wyoming wilderness hunt. It’s awesome place though

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 05:30:35 PM »
Dude, if you’ve got your mind made up on the Frank then I would absolutely go for it. You truly won’t find another experience like it. Before me and my buddy went in 2019 we heard all the stories about his the elk and deer numbers are dwindling but we still went and there’s still game in there. Probably not as plentiful as it was in 1995 but you can find them.

We took our own ponies in but met a few outfitters in town and in the wilderness. From our experience I would recommend Mile high and elk springs. They both seemed very knowledgeable, experienced, and had the drive the put their clients on animals.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]