collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Limping puppy  (Read 6916 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Limping puppy
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »
I'd give it a few more days, try the swimming and see if soft surfaces still limp then time for vet by next friday unless marked improvement.

Ok sounds good I’ll try that man. I didn’t see this before my last post

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 12:58:33 PM »
Could be a bruised pad, youd not see it but it happens and makes them limp.......Ive had labs steady since 1978 and seen it more than once.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
I know that if he picks up a cheet grass seed in his pad he will have a sore paw and will limp as well. They will tuck right up into the folds of the paw.

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
I’ve extended his elbow out when he’s relaxing and bent it straight then up bent multiple times. Flexed his joints and he acts like nothing is wrong at all

This leads me to believe it's most likely not elbow dysplasia, most likely a sprain from rough play.  It could be a tweaked toenail too or tweaked finger.

Take him swimming and see if he's using full range of motion in the water, otherwise I'd try to just keep things low key for another week or so and see if it resolves.   :twocents:

Unfortunately he was chasing toys on the patio in the back. He doesn’t know how to take it easy. Everything is 100% as fast and as hard as he can. So definitely no more concrete playing. That’s good news about you not thinking it’s his elbow. I’ve pinched and pushed on every part of his elbow and he never even lifts his head up. So no signs of pain when touched. Idk if elbow dysplasia is sensitive to the touch?

I went through something similar recently with my female lab. Got X-rays done and everything, ended up being a soft tissue injury to her paw. When I would press on it she showed signs of pain.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 03:27:34 PM »
I’ve extended his elbow out when he’s relaxing and bent it straight then up bent multiple times. Flexed his joints and he acts like nothing is wrong at all

This leads me to believe it's most likely not elbow dysplasia, most likely a sprain from rough play.  It could be a tweaked toenail too or tweaked finger.

Take him swimming and see if he's using full range of motion in the water, otherwise I'd try to just keep things low key for another week or so and see if it resolves.   :twocents:

Unfortunately he was chasing toys on the patio in the back. He doesn’t know how to take it easy. Everything is 100% as fast and as hard as he can. So definitely no more concrete playing. That’s good news about you not thinking it’s his elbow. I’ve pinched and pushed on every part of his elbow and he never even lifts his head up. So no signs of pain when touched. Idk if elbow dysplasia is sensitive to the touch?

I went through something similar recently with my female lab. Got X-rays done and everything, ended up being a soft tissue injury to her paw. When I would press on it she showed signs of pain.

I pressed on all his pads and didn’t get a reaction. Is elbow dysplasia usually tender to the touch?

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »
My girls pads were fine, it was when I pressed on top that she showed a reaction. Could be his shoulder as well.

Offline Shoofly09

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 06:01:39 PM »
I know that if he picks up a cheet grass seed in his pad he will have a sore paw and will limp as well. They will tuck right up into the folds of the paw.

This happened to my springer.   Cheat grass seed worked itself in between pads, and was two centimeters inside her foot.    They had to knock her out and have surgery to open it up and dig it out.

Offline Moccasin_Mountain

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »

This happened to my springer.   Cheat grass seed worked itself in between pads, and was two centimeters inside her foot.    They had to knock her out and have surgery to open it up and dig it out.

That staff's nasty, it'll get in their ears too sometimes
Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

FRANK OUTLAW

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 08:41:04 AM »
Typically a good plan of action when a dog comes up with a limp and an obvious injury or injury event is not apparent then crate rest for 2-3 days and reevaluate. If it is just a sprain or strain then it needs to rest. If you don't see improvement in a few days then jump down the rabbit hole and see where it leads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 08:58:09 AM »
My female black lab is limping around the back yard this morning.  We were throwing the ball for her and my male, she may have gotten ran over by the male trying to catch the ball not sure.  We will keep an eye on her this week and see if it improves.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 09:13:15 AM »
My female black lab is limping around the back yard this morning.  We were throwing the ball for her and my male, she may have gotten ran over by the male trying to catch the ball not sure.  We will keep an eye on her this week and see if it improves.

Sounds like the exact thing that happened to him except we were just by ourselves one dog. But today I woke up and thought he was walking a little better finally. My gf thought the same thing so crossing my fingers. He’s been resting in the living room and no toys allowed inside so he’s being lazy getting rest for sure

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 10:13:05 PM »
Well my dog started limping bad again about a week ago. I don’t know what happened but he was fine before we left for a hospital visit. Then came home and he was limping holding his paw up. He’s slowly getting better I feel like but tonight I noticed him curling his paw. I straightened it out flat just wondering maybe coincidence but then he curled it three times after i straightened it. He’s never once indicated pain anywhere I touch or stretch. He jumps up on the wood pile and wants to play. Would a hurt elbow make the paw want to curl?

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 11:59:48 PM »
Does he seem ok neurologically? Do anything goofy on a regular basis or more so lately than before? Look up knuckling and see if you think it could be something like that. Hopefully not but a Vet would be able to tell you if it's something that's serious like that. Good luck!

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 12:17:46 AM »
Does he seem ok neurologically? Do anything goofy on a regular basis or more so lately than before? Look up knuckling and see if you think it could be something like that. Hopefully not but a Vet would be able to tell you if it's something that's serious like that. Good luck!

He acts normal but did get sick day before yesterday. Just puked a few times and was lethargic for the day. But then bounced right back only sick one day. It’s definitely not neurological.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 07:48:48 AM »
Looks like you on month 2 of not knowing...if it were me I would have already visited my vet :dunno: Best of luck for your pup...nice looking dog.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal