collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is It That Common  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Ronquillo08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Is It That Common
« on: September 22, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
Throughout the years I have been hearing stories from Elk hunters that mostly have the same ring to them. Either they walk up on an Elk they downed and somebody else is dressing it or they have a gun shoved in their face telling them to leave. I am not saying that this never happens, but is it really that common that this happens on a regular basis? Just want to hear your thoughts and quite frankly these stories has kind of kept me away from Elk hunting.
It only takes one man to turn something that you love doing, into something that you despise.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Is It That Common
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
I have never heard of this actually happening. Pretty silly thing to be so afraid of you don’t elk hunt. Some saying about excuses..

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
I believe there have been a couple of stories on here over the years. If it's common at all, I would think it would be more modern than ML or Archery.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 09:16:01 AM »
Wouldn’t let the one off stories keep me from hunting.   I have heard stories but always take them with a grain of salt.   Remember your only hearing one side of the story and it is likely exaggerated a bit. 

Also….assume it happens to you, just walk away….no elk is worth confrontation that involves weapons.   Call the cops / gamies and let them sort it out.   Really simple
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 09:24:40 AM by jrebel »

Offline Ronquillo08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 09:18:33 AM »

I have never heard of this actually happening. Pretty silly thing to be so afraid of you don’t elk hunt. Some saying about excuses..

1. I never said I was afraid, I had more than my life's worth of guns pointed at me. 2. If the stories I hear are a common occurrence why would I want to put myself and my son in that kind of situation. 3. I only lived in Washington for a few years and rely on advice from people like you. Hence why I am asking. 
It only takes one man to turn something that you love doing, into something that you despise.

Offline KP-Skagit

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:29:43 AM »
Not common but also not specific to elk hunting, I have heard more stories like this about deer hunting than elk.

Had a friend a few years ago shoot a nice 4x4 mulie with a wounded front leg. It was a fresh wound and there was snow on the ground making tracking easy. Sure enough, here comes the other hunter and a shouting match broke out. My buddy basically said told the guy his shot was nonlethal, it was public land and if he didn't like it to shoot better next time. Finally the guy tossed up his hands and left.

Later in a local bar another friend heard what must have been the same hunter retelling how he had had a buck stolen from him he had been tracking for a mile and he only let the guy have the animal when a gun got pulled on him. The gun part was fiction, but the guy probably wanted to save face in front of his buddies.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 09:34:25 AM »
I've never heard of it happening from anybody I know.   If it happens, it's not common.  And I wouldn't think such incidents would be specific to elk, if they happen. 

Go enjoy your hunt and time in the woods with your son. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
Wouldn’t let the one off stories keep me from hunting.   I have heard stories but always take them with a grain of salt.   Remember your only hearing one side of the story and it is likely exaggerated a bit. 

Also….assume it happens to you, just walk away….no elk is worth confrontation that involves weapons.   Call the cops / gamies and let them sort it out.   Really simple

Gamie honors the first tag to be attached to the carcass, regardless of shooter.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
If you're worried about this, hunt deeper!

The types of people who do this need quick access to a downed elk, which means roads. 

I could easily see situations where an elk has been shot (or shot at) by multiple people, and two people arrive at the same time, each thinking the other is attempting to take "their" elk.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »
I've only ever red stories of it happening on the internet. I've never had it happen to me or anyone I know.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »
Yeah, like others have said. Does it happen? Maybe it happens every once in awhile, but I've never experienced it nor anyone that I know or hunt with. It's a real rarity. Go hunt with your son, the value of that time in the woods far outweighs any negative that MIGHT happen.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Ronquillo08

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 09:48:10 AM »
If you're worried about this, hunt deeper!

The types of people who do this need quick access to a downed elk, which means roads. 

I could easily see situations where an elk has been shot (or shot at) by multiple people, and two people arrive at the same time, each thinking the other is attempting to take "their" elk.

Yeah, That's what I was thinking.  I did that for deer last season, didn't run into any hunters but i ran into a guy talking into and listening to a coke can like a phone. Thanks for the advice :tup:.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 09:53:02 AM »

Gamie honors the first tag to be attached to the carcass, regardless of shooter.

That may be the case...but they will deal with firearms being pointed at peoples faces and threats to others lives.  That is a criminal offense that will land those people in jail.  Especially if you have witnesses or video. 

Online BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »
Throughout the years I have been hearing stories from Elk hunters that mostly have the same ring to them. Either they walk up on an Elk they downed and somebody else is dressing it or they have a gun shoved in their face telling them to leave. I am not saying that this never happens, but is it really that common that this happens on a regular basis? Just want to hear your thoughts and quite frankly these stories has kind of kept me away from Elk hunting.

Vey legit question and far from an "excuse". I don't elk hunt so I can comment on that specifically. However there are a few pheasant release sites that I don't take my dog and son to on weekends because of seeing past fights both human and dog over a silly bird.  That is not an excuse just looking out for the family I love. BTW...welcome to Hunt WA...most of the people are really nice and provide useful information/answers/conversation...most but not all  ;)

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 10:23:27 AM »
It has happened twice to me,once during rifle season and once during archery.Also a group of guys I used to hunt with were held at gun point by Elk poachers in the late 90's.There are definitely plenty of sketchy people out in the woods at any given time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]