collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kapowsin/Hancock Area Newbie Question for Deer Hunting.  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Learo2000GT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Kapowsin/Hancock Area Newbie Question for Deer Hunting.
« on: September 22, 2021, 09:20:28 AM »
Good Morning-   This is my first year buying a kapowsin/Hancock key and I am trying to get an idea of what the deer hunting pressure is like on opening morning of modern rifle is like and through out the season.   

I have only been in there once this spring before fire ranger shut it down and opens back up on 9/24.  So going in to do some scouting this weekend and trying to gauge what the hunting pressure is like to get an idea of how far I should look at hiking in to get away from road hunting pressure and such.   

Ps- If any old permit holders or néw for that matter have any recommended locations within the area they are willing to share would be much appreciated to get a PM.   Or any tips for that area.  I obviously don’t expect any honey holes to be sent my way but it never hurts to ask.  Hahah. 

Thanks in advance Doug. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Kapowsin/Hancock Area Newbie Question for Deer Hunting.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »
I usually hunt behind gates in there, even the gates usually have lots of trucks parked at them. But when I get in a ways, I usually don’t see many people.  My buddy used to road hunt the place and quit buying the pass because he said it was a zoo.  I can’t stand road hunting so I really don’t know. But certain walk in gates do get crowded, just hike in and you should be fine, just don’t go to the gate I go to please  :chuckle:  Even off main roads, if you get out of your truck and explore, you should be fine. God Bless lazy hunters.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Learo2000GT

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 09:45:07 AM »
I usually hunt behind gates in there, even the gates usually have lots of trucks parked at them. But when I get in a ways, I usually don’t see many people.  My buddy used to road hunt the place and quit buying the pass because he said it was a zoo.  I can’t stand road hunting so I really don’t know. But certain walk in gates do get crowded, just hike in and you should be fine, just don’t go to the gate I go to please  :chuckle:  Even off main roads, if you get out of your truck and explore, you should be fine. God Bless lazy hunters.
Yeah same here.   I am not a road hunter myself unless setting up coyote call stops.   Do u need a pass to walk in and hunt just wondering but I see what you’re saying.

My hope is to find some difficult roads the average pickup would try and travel being I have a built rubicon and park then walk in a few miles.  Going to do some map scouting next few days.   

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »
There are no "difficult roads the average pickup would try"...as it's a managed timber forest and the mainlines are basically gravel highways and the sideroads are maintained for timber cruisers...the only exception is overgrown roads and tree limbs/brush scratching paint...I had that pass for years until they decided to set their own rules on harvest animals (such as take away the youth doe hunts...and make up their own rules...Ok, not the post for my soapbox). You are hunting blacktails, which means they can be and will be anywhere...it is nice to get away from people by hiking the gated roads but I've seen just as many deer cross the mainline while driving out at dark as I have seen hiking the gated areas. One area to look is the 7 road system, lots of gated roads in there and is a fun place to hunt. Be sure to take a paper bag with you for chantrelles and look into the dark forested areas, at least you will come home with something yummy!

Grade

PS. if you have the multi-season tag, the best hunting in there is when it snows (late archery or muzzy season).
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »
Waaaay too much info grade!!  You didn’t have to get that specific, enough trucks parked there already!!  7 system sucks learo!

:chuckle:

“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:12 PM »
Sorry Trophy!!!! :) I meant 17 system, ya, that's what I meant... (there isn't a 17 system that I know of, for all the Kapowsin internet police). Joking aside, kind of, I actually did well on the mainlines on the drive out! Back on topic, find a clear cut and watch the edges the first hour and last hour of light, other than that, still hunt the big timber (what's left of it) and wait until the late season!

Grade

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 06:14:11 AM »
...I had that pass for years until they decided to set their own rules on harvest animals (such as take away the youth doe hunts...and make up their own rules...Ok, not the post for my soapbox)...

I'm pretty sure it's only the 'Antlerless' category doe hunts and general season antlerless they don't allow. The youth/disabled/65+ is, last I looked at it. Pretty cool if you ask me for them to step in and try and improve things when WDFW's rules for the GMU are the same as anywhere else despite the deer struggling so bad. Best part of that area IMO is the 2 point minimum they have. Should help lift up the quality of deer in there so everything doesn't get whacked as spikes. I buy Weyerhaeuser's Vail permit and sure wish they'd do something similar. It's an annual spike slaughter up there! I can remember 15 years ago in Vail before the 7 days/week motorized access I could go see 30 deer a day - on a pedal bike! Nowadays if we see 10 deer a day its a solid day. 10-12 is more the norm, and mostly does/fawns/spikes. I think it has to do with folks purchasing $130 multiseason tags and $350+ access permits feeling like they need to take some meat home to justify the cost whacking does in late archery if they didn't get a buck in the earlier seasons.  :twocents:

As far as Kapowsin goes, the further south you go the better the deer numbers, at least from what I've seen while looking at timber sales. Havent been in there much during deer seasons,, but if it's anything like Vail, expect lots of company. And generally speaking (not just Kapowsin), you don't have to get behind gates to find deer, just get out of the truck. That tree farm is pretty cut over so it can be difficult to find nice huntable timber, but getting 100 yards from the road is really all it takes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:22:46 AM by Alan K »

Offline Learo2000GT

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »
Big thanks to everyone for the feedback. That helps greatly.  Going to do some map scouting today and come up with a plan for scouting this weekend and if I see a bear even better.   Take care.

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 07:55:11 PM »
I hunt in there every year and you will have plenty of company.  I try and get behind locked gates too but those also usually have a few trucks at them.  I pray for nasty/horrible weather, one to lessen the hunters and two because I kill a lot of deer in weather,  As has been stated, a lot of hunters are road hunting or glassing cuts they can see from a road or landing that they can drive to.  With so any roads in there, it is really hard to get very remote where someone else won't be/go.  I've been fortunate and only ran into one jackwagon that drove past me, parked, got out and decided to hunt where I was walking to on the dead end road I was on, the rest have all been normal folks just trying to hunt.

The deer are where you find them.  I've killed deer 4 miles behind a locked gate and I've killed some within sight of the mainline.  Hunt hard, enjoy the experience, and you will figure out what works best for you relatively quickly.  Once you are seeing deer, you are doing something right.

and plenty of bears in there, I run into them during deer season, every year.

Good luck to you! 

Offline Learo2000GT

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 07:39:34 AM »
Thanks all.   Just a point of clarification when you guys are talking about parking at locked gates do u mean gates that are inside the main entrance or gates that are locked on the boundaries of the area.  I would imagine you mean the boundaries of the property.   

Does elevation make much of a difference for general modern fire arm season.   I understand wind and thermal flows but wasn’t sure if black tails stick low or are are up high where there is timber or if it doesn’t matter at all.  Going out Friday to stock and going to see what I can do to get on a bear at the same time.    Thanks again for all the help.   

One last question off topic for deer but later this winter I want to go cougar and coyote hunting.  What is the snowfall like in that area in the winter.   Thanks. 

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »
Read the blacktail hunting books by Boyd Iverson and Scott Haugen...you will learn way more in those books about hunting blacktails than you will get info on from this (or any) forum site.

Grade

PS. gated roads means the wildlife escapement areas/walk-in only areas inside the timberlands...

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 10:35:03 AM »
 :yeah:  What Grade said....

I've been out there in snow before but it was when we had snow everywhere in the area.  I've never ran into much snow otherwise, maybe a little at some higher elevations but nothing significant or that would stop me from driving roads, etc.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 08:27:31 PM »
Thanks all.   Just a point of clarification when you guys are talking about parking at locked gates do u mean gates that are inside the main entrance or gates that are locked on the boundaries of the area.  I would imagine you mean the boundaries of the property.   

Does elevation make much of a difference for general modern fire arm season.   I understand wind and thermal flows but wasn’t sure if black tails stick low or are are up high where there is timber or if it doesn’t matter at all.  Going out Friday to stock and going to see what I can do to get on a bear at the same time.    Thanks again for all the help.   

One last question off topic for deer but later this winter I want to go cougar and coyote hunting.  What is the snowfall like in that area in the winter.   Thanks. 

I don't hunt Kapowsin (thank God)l....RE: elevation - Deer choose their habitat.  Every deer is different.  Some like it high, some like it low.  Some like to sit in young clearcuts and get shot at.  Use the sign at the elevation you're hunting to get you close.

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal