collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WSU Wildland Fire Training- an appeal for help  (Read 3095 times)

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
WSU Wildland Fire Training- an appeal for help
« on: September 08, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
*Mods- please remove if not an appropriate or permissible request- thank you*

Dear Hunt-WA,

Some of you might be aware that I am involved with forestry and wildlife education at our great land grant school, Washington State University, and that I really am passionate about giving our natural resource students the best education they can get, regardless of their major.

I have long pushed to get a wildland fire training course for our students, and we succeeded this year in getting one on the books.  Part of the course is having the students work through the online courses and field days necessary to qualify for Firefighter Type 2 (the "Red Card" that is the basic credential for fireline work).  We have a ton of opportunity to get these students out on planned prescribed fire events that restore habitat for a number of wildlife species. 

So here's my request: If any of you have used fireline boots that meet NFPA 1977 standards for firefighter protection, and would like to contribute them to a "boot library" for students who can't afford their own fireline boots, I would be incredibly grateful.  Other fire gear is welcome too, if you want it to find a good home.  PM me for details. 

And, of course, if any of you are Coug alumni (or not!), and want to support our wildland fire program in any other way, I am all ears and grateful in advance!

Thanks for considering this appeal.  I really appreciate you all.  Good hunting this fall.

-Mark
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:49:53 PM by elkboy »

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: WSU Wildland Fire Training- an appeal for help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
Hey Mark,

How used are you looking for? I have a pair that needs rebuilt from whites or in best case just resoled.. If that doesn’t work, I’ll throw in a monetary donation for the cause and be willing to come up and present on fire jobs/help people through the USA jobs fiasco.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 12:14:11 PM »
Hey Mark,

How used are you looking for? I have a pair that needs rebuilt from whites or in best case just resoled.. If that doesn’t work, I’ll throw in a monetary donation for the cause and be willing to come up and present on fire jobs/help people through the USA jobs fiasco.

Thank you, Naches!  The boots can be pretty beat up- it is to get students through the field day; likely students who are in the course more for the academic content, and won't make a career out of fire, or those who may go into fire but can't afford boots at the moment.  I am throwing some of my own money into this, so I'd be happy to to take care of the resoling on our side. 

And yes, if you are in the area, we'd love to have you be involved!  We'll be doing prescribed fire in Whitman County and Latah County, and possibly in collaboration with some folks elsewhere. 

Online Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »
I've got at least one set of nomex i can hand off. I've got an old pair of boots but I think its frowned upon to have your big toe poking out. Also I took several of your classes years ago :tup:

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »
I've got at least one set of nomex i can hand off. I've got an old pair of boots but I think its frowned upon to have your big toe poking out. Also I took several of your classes years ago :tup:

The Nomex is much, much appreciated!  That stuff is not exactly inexpensive!  And no worries on the boots- sounds like you put some great miles on them.   :tup:

Great to hear you and I have shared the classroom and the field!  PM me if you'd like to catch up!  I'd love to hear how things are with life and career. :)

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »
What about the firefighters “rubber boots?” Knee boot type yellow and black. Probably not the best hikers, but very spendy. I have some 12’s I grabbed at goodwill that I don’t need.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 09:30:47 PM »
Can you post and address so we can send funds?
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 07:37:24 AM »
Can you post and address so we can send funds?

Thank you, Wadu!  And thanks to the community. :)  I know that good resource management education for the next generation will help us all- people, wildlife, landscapes.  I am proud to be both a forestry faculty member and a member of the hunting community. 

* Here is a direct link:
https://foundation.wsu.edu/give/?fund=6ce24263-c0a3-41a9-91d5-e779358cf7a2&cat=idonate_colleges&area=idonate_agricultural_human_and_natural_resource_sciences&utm_source=cahnrs&utm_medium=wsu-link&utm_campaign=forestry-excellence-fund

* Or a donor can just go to https://foundation.wsu.edu/give/ and search for "Forestry Excellence Fund" using the search option.  It will come right up.  I am working to get a specific option for fire education on the Foundation site, so just PM me to let me know that you donated a specific amount to go to the wildland fire initiative. Sorry for the inconvenience.

* You can mail a check or money order made payable to “WSU Foundation”.   On the memo link of the check, please write “Forestry Excellence Fund GF006502- FIRE”.  That will ensure that the funds will go to the wildland fire equipment and training.  I will be in charge of the expenditure of those funds, and can answer for that process.  PM me for more details.   

Please mail the check or money order to Mrs. Britta Nitcy in the College of Agricultural, Human and Natural Resource Sciences:
WSU CAHNRS
Attn:  Britta Nitcy
PO Box 646228
Pullman, WA  99164-6228

Again, thanks everyone! 

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 07:42:20 AM »
What about the firefighters “rubber boots?” Knee boot type yellow and black. Probably not the best hikers, but very spendy. I have some 12’s I grabbed at goodwill that I don’t need.

Thank you, Rainshadow.  I think we are limited to all-leather general wildland boots for now.  Sorry.   :sry:  But thank you so much- I really appreciate your generosity!  :)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »
I have none, but good on ya, Mark, for helping the kids out. You're a nice man.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
A retired firefighter (Ft. Bliss TX) I know said to try the DRMO website. They auction gov surplus, that's where they took all old gear. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 05:40:12 PM »
A retired firefighter (Ft. Bliss TX) I know said to try the DRMO website. They auction gov surplus, that's where they took all old gear.

I know that public entities get first crack at them before they get sold. I belive all current sales are going through Government Planet wich is a Richie Brithers subsidiary.

Several members on here wirk for the Grant County fire and I know they are well versed with DRMO aquisitions  i belive @C-money is part of the FD.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline hawks33

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 09:11:16 PM »
Gofundme...MY FD has had some decent results using this platform.  I'll throw some money at ya. May have some old haix running around too.    :tup:

Offline Bone collector 13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 09:18:59 PM »
Wildland firefighter foundation would be a good start, they can point you in the right direction, and if you need any help with teaching or outside instruction I’m game!

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 08:50:37 PM »
free bump

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics