collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First buck  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: First buck
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 05:02:57 PM »
That's awesome!
 :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 06:18:45 PM »
Congrats thats awesome!!!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 07:42:55 PM »
Dandy buck

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »
Nice! 
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 08:55:06 PM »
Congrats to Bridget on a great first buck. Thanks for sharing the story Uncle JD. I always appreciate the way you spin a tale. Rock chucks to big bucks way to keep them in the outdoors.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 09:53:31 PM »
Congrats to Bridget on a great first buck. Thanks for sharing the story Uncle JD. I always appreciate the way you spin a tale. Rock chucks to big bucks way to keep them in the outdoors.

Funny you should mention it the kids are already looking forward to chuck shooting in the spring. 

Bridget has a new AR and I have a Howa Mini in 223 sitting here that I just need time to get bedded into a Boyd’s AT-One stock for the little ones. 

I’m going to get another MGM Contender 17 Hornet barrel ordered and set it up for Bridget and just figure on kissing another of my G1 frames goodby. 

She is a south paw and the right hand bolt CZ 527s are clumsy at best or I would just turn mine over to her.  Bridget is big for her age and the stock she has been using is too short now, but just about perfect for the little ones.  There are plenty of G1 carbine stock sets laying around here so it’s just going to cost me a barrel to get her set up and turn her old rig over to “the kids,” as she refers to them as. 

You can flip a coin, the CZ 527s and the Contender Carbines are equally accurate and both have good triggers on em.  I don’t know that I prefer one over the other for chuck shooting. 

The 17 Hornet is a 175 yard proposition, and the kids want to stretch it out to at least three hundred next year.  The Magpul UBR stock makes an AR about as good a 300 yard chuck shooting outfit for Bridget as a person could ask for. 

I don’t get much shooting in the field in any more, it’s just as much fun to let the kids get all of the shooting.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:51:36 AM by JDHasty »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 06:52:31 AM »
Congratulations to both of you! That’s gotta be a great feeling when they get it done.  Hopefully she didn’t feel the bite of the gun too much.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »
Thanks everybody. 

Here's a photo of the tripod setup of which I spoke.  Manfrotto 128RC VPHs are dead silent, smooth and stable.  We also have a half dozen of them.  055ProB tripods are practically indestructible quick to set up.  Here is a hint:  Professional photographers government contracts frequently come with an equipment list that is to be supplied and becomes the property of the photog after.  That is how I picked up our tripod legs and heads on the cheap.   

The table is just 3/4 plywood with three 1/4-20 T Nuts sunk in so that it can be centered or offset over the pan head.  Does the table need to be that wide?  It depends, a crossbow will take a kid's thumb clean off.   I don't want the kid's forward hand anywhere near the finger remover.  That hand goes on the tripod handle or the tripod column.  Period. Full stop.  The table will also accommodate a Bulls Bag, but that was a secondary consideration.

Regarding the length of the ethafoam channel.  It's fine, works great, but shorter is better.  I just haven't decided where to cut that one yet.  The channel we used in the blind is glued up from black ethafoam and is shorter.  That white one was for Beta testing before I started cutting and gluing the black foam I had to pay good money for, the kids use it in the yard for target shooting.   

Offline castie2504

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
Outstanding! Love seeing these types of success stories! Good work
Life's a garden, Dig it!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal