collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which Tuner? 99 Powerstroke  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Which Tuner? 99 Powerstroke
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »
Dealer flashed my Dyna Source chip circa' 1999.  What tuner should I get to replace it?

I believe the chip had added 70 to 80 HP and 160 +ft-lbs of torque. 
I see good reviews of "dash" tuners from Superchip, Bully Dog, and Banks.  All in th $400 to $600 range.  It would be nice to be able to see temps and adjust for towing  and speed/ performance....I mean economy ( sure I do)

I liked the better throttle response and umph the chip gave me.  Guessing it got me some mileage too. 16 mpg most of the time just driving ( I have a heavy foot quite often). 12 mpg with camper and or boat or empty trailer.  Right around 10 pulling excavator - maybe a touch better.

I have a camper and also tow a 5k lb dump trailer and 9k lb excavator.  it is an auto (heavey duty build), 4wd, and has 35" tires. Original factory exhaust and air intake, but k&n filter. 

190 k on the truck.

Thanks for input.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Online HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Which Tuner? 99 Powerstroke
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 12:22:41 PM »
Edge Evolution!

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:05:43 AM »
I touched base with Randy at Randy's Offroad Friday.  Diesel Guru.  They are my go to shop but unfortunately they are booked out months in advance so the truck had to go to a dealer - and this time it caused some pain.  Dealer helped on my bill so I think we are square.  Anyway.  Sounds like the 99 Superduty's and most of the tuners out there don't play well together.  Randy has one for $335 and tax that gets along with the truck real well.  I go grab it this week.  It will give me everything I had plus some and options for tune.  Plug and play and super easy.  Forget the name.  Maybe TSE? He recommended if I wanted guages, we do those separately and I would be much happier.

I picked the truck up from the dealer yesterday and it definitely is a different animal without the chip.  Won't set you back in the seat and way rougher trany shifts.  The problem it went to the dealer for is fixed though, so in the end , I will be happy.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »
Get yourself the TS 6 position switch. It is very easy to install and will wake up your truck! There are lots of places to buy online and info. I have it in my '97 F350 7.3l and it performs awesome.

I wouldn't buy the Edge. I had one for a couple of years and didn't like it. It is hard on the transmission by raising line pressure creating harder shift points. And you have to reprogram every time you want to change power level. The TS changes power levels on the fly.

https://www.xtremediesel.com/ts-performance-switchable-6-position-chip-73l-powerstroke

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:58:17 PM by timberghost72 »

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 01:50:49 PM »
Do not know if it is available for a 99 but the tuner that came with my delete kit is EZlynk by Auto Agent. Is extremely easy and quick to install between doing the delete,on my 15 F250, EGR and DPF and installing the programmer took a total of 8 hrs in the garage. Programmer is plug and play and comes with A 5 position power switch, can get from 440hp stock at level 1 to 770hp at level 5.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline papisjeep

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 05:45:27 PM »
Hydra

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »
I have the Hydra in mine and it really makes a big difference in power and super easy to use.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
Are you using the K&N oil soaked air filter? I had one on my '09 and the shop told me not a good idea to have on a turbo diesel. Turbos suck a lot of air and the oil gets sucked into the internals, bad idea. Had them pull it out and put in some wiz bang filter system, can't remember the name.

Offline MR5x5

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
The 99 Powerstroke is the strong one - forged rods.  You should take a look at DP Tuner they will have a variety of selectable tunes for the various towing loads you are hauling.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 10:04:18 AM »
Got an SCT X4 at Randy's Offroad yesterday.  Woke the truck back up on the "middle setting". Snappier than what I was getting out of the 22 year old chip for sure. 

However, on the drive home while um.."breaking it in" .....discovered that issue that it had went to the dealer for, that started this path, did not get resolved.  Grrr :bash: I will be on the horn with them today to get that straightened out. 
Issue is when you step on it and stay in it,  power gets cut at around 3000 RPM. Lasts for a few seconds after you let off of it.  Acts like computer traction control on a newer rig, which the old girl does not have. Dealer told me it was exhaust back pressure sensor and guarenteed that change out took care of the problem. 

And yep, oiled K&N.  I know I have always ran a paper towel around in the down stream side of the intake and never get any residue of any kind.  I suppose.that over 20 years of use it could build up though.  I will do some research.  Thanks

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:40:58 PM by Cylvertip »
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 10:35:08 AM »
Just checked the brand on mine that the shop put in, it's a S & B system.

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 10:56:53 AM »
I ran a hydra in my 99. liked it alot better then the edge my buddy had, and being able to switch tunes on the fly was pretty nice.
I run a SCT device on my 6.7, its nice, but I wish it was a hydra for simplicity.

Offline MR5x5

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 04:00:21 PM »
I'd suggest you spend some time on this site.  Tons of knowledge.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

Do you have gauges?  definitely a good idea if running chipped. Pressure and EGT at least... I suspect your power loss problem is the ECU de fueling do to excessive boost - if memory serves the ECU kicks in around 25 psi which any decent tune will blow through.  If that is the case then you can put a boost fooler ahead of that sensor - it is basically a little regulator that limits what the pressure sensor sees.

The EBPS that was replaced controls the exhaust back pressure valve which in theory helps the truck warm up faster.  If you ever hear the "jet engine" noise when the truck is idling cold that is the exhaust back pressure valve kicking in.  A lot of people unplug the valve at the turbo pedestal as it really does not seem to do anything but be annoying...

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
Edge is a good one. Put a better exhaust on the truck before your turbo gets  torched!

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 02:41:18 PM »
Still chasing the bug.  Truck has a boost fooler.  Thought maybe it was plugged.  Cleaned it up and made sure everything was positioned correctly .  Still had the issue.  Then tried disconnecting the tube from the sensor altogether. Still have the issue.  Truck runs fine other wise.  Just has an issue if you pin it to the floor for more than a second or two.  Normal driving is not an issue.  Concern is what will happen when towing a heavy load up a big hill or that it will it degrade to a point where it affects normal driving. 
Don't Tread On Me!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU