collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Off Grid Communication - 2-way messaging, tracking and SOS capabilities.  (Read 1618 times)

Offline IslandStorm62

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Hi All,
    In my younger days...yesterday, I enter the forest without a care.  Now that I am a little older and wiser, I'm also trying to be a little more considerate for the family.  I mean if I die in the woods,  they'll never find me and the family would not know it's time to collect the Life Insurance :o.  All kidding aside, I have always had this thought about using a " Off Grid Communicator / GPS Satellite Tracker Communicator.  As a matter of fact 2 - 3 years ago I purchased the SPOT, but it turned out to be incompatible with my Chromebook.  So I returned it and did not try another system.  Here recently, I have been going to areas where service has been nonexistent. 

So, who uses one? What brand?  Are you happy with the service or looking to try a different brand/service? Do you have another recommendation / option?

Here are some brands that I have just glanced at:  InReach & SPOT; others that have popped on on the google: BIVY Stick, Zoleo & Iridium Go.

https://www.iridium.com/satellite-phones-messengers-hiking-fishing-outdoor-adventures/#iridium-go-section

I was gonna post this on the Back Country topic, but I think it would better serve us here "in your local area, trying to track you on cell phone may not work."

I would like to start a poll listing a few that I have heard of, but I am not sure if the poll allows comments or ratings.   Thanks for the advice.

Admins - If you think a Poll would serve us, pleas advise or create one.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Off Grid Communication - 2-way messaging, tracking and SOS capabilities.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
There are a ton of threads on this topic, I would search around and read those first.

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 11:00:15 AM »
I have the inreach mini since last year, so far really like it and I have had no problems with communication

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 11:18:09 AM »
I have the In Reach and leave it in my pack no matter where I'm going.  I show the people I'm hunting with where it is in my pack and advise them how to use the SOS function if necessary.  In my opinion, it's the cheapest insurance policy you can buy should something happen that requires professional assistance.  A good friend of mine had some serious heart issues while hunting a few years ago.  Luckily, in that situation, I was able to climb a hill and get enough cell service to request assistance and we were able to coordinate with the local fire department. He made it to the hospital in the nick of time.  I didn't have the In Reach at the time, but bought one soon after knowing that next time it may mean the difference between life and death. 

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 01:10:10 PM »
The InReach and Zoleo's seem to be the most popular. I got the Zoleo because I liked the payment plan options better and I like the free, unlimited weather updates that are specific to your exact location. The knock on it is that you have to have a cell phone to use it (except for the emergency SOS function and daily check-in function). It's never failed for me. I carry it anytime I hit the woods.

The InReach and InReach mini both have screens so you can use all of their functions without your smartphone. They have a weather function too but it uses up one of your monthly messages when you use it.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
I just ordered the Zoleo from Amazon last night, supposed to be here today. Have a few hunting buddies that have it and recommended it. Another friend recommended getting LifeFlight insurance and I did that also. The helicopter rides are really expensive I guess (in the thousands as in 5 figures) and the insurance is good for at home family members. Can't beat $69 a year.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]