collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice on New Rifle  (Read 11910 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Advice on New Rifle
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2021, 11:00:03 AM »
$75 in 1971 is worth $512 today.   :chuckle:

I do think fixed power scopes are more reliable in general.  Scopes you don't dial for yardage seem to be less prone to issues as well.  If you are constantly cranking the objective and elevation it seems like you get what you pay for in general.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2021, 01:55:18 PM »
I guess I’m the opposite I would never go cheap on optics. I like old school wool pants and jackets for clothes and have inexpensive rifles that shoot well but I have expensive ones that shoot more better 😂 there are some lower priced rifles that shoot amazing.  I go cheap and “old school ?” On a lot of hunting gear. I won’t go cheap on boots, optics, ammo ( if I’m not reloading)in that order. Btw me and my freinds all got our vortex scopes for 1/2 off through various connections. There might be a reason. I think inexpensive fixed power scopes in the 70’s and 80’s were built better. I have an old inexpensive scope on an old gun that has performed for decades. Everyone has their own opinion which is what I like about this forum. I won’t go cheap on optics (been there done that) but I am a cheapskate on lots of other hunting gear😂 I personally think the biggest waste of money right now is some of the high end hunting clothes but that’s another topic

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2021, 03:02:54 PM »
I guess I’m the opposite I would never go cheap on optics. I like old school wool pants and jackets for clothes and have inexpensive rifles that shoot well but I have expensive ones that shoot more better 😂 there are some lower priced rifles that shoot amazing.  I go cheap and “old school ?” On a lot of hunting gear. I won’t go cheap on boots, optics, ammo ( if I’m not reloading)in that order. Btw me and my freinds all got our vortex scopes for 1/2 off through various connections. There might be a reason. I think inexpensive fixed power scopes in the 70’s and 80’s were built better. I have an old inexpensive scope on an old gun that has performed for decades. Everyone has their own opinion which is what I like about this forum. I won’t go cheap on optics (been there done that) but I am a cheapskate on lots of other hunting gear😂 I personally think the biggest waste of money right now is some of the high end hunting clothes but that’s another topic

Hey it’s not high end CLOTHING... it’s high end GEAR that you wear  :chuckle: ... but I agree biggest scam out there. All made over seas.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »
 OP had budget of 1500 ish.. we are shooting for stars here.. he can get "good" but not gonna get great for that price point, sure most are accurate but there is nice and then there is nice.. i know my rule of thumb has always been rifle cost =optics cost (unless full custom setup rifle) then maybe optics are more in the  .5X ish cost of custom rifle... quality rifle will never go away, saving pennies upgrade in optics to a forever setup was my thought, i guess i just think a bit differently one forever higher end rifle setup vs get what you can get for 1500... quality optics are not cheap!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2021, 05:10:33 PM »

Hey it’s not high end CLOTHING... it’s high end GEAR that you wear  :chuckle: ... but I agree biggest scam out there. All made over seas.

and you “run” the high end gear you don’t wear it 😂

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2021, 05:28:14 PM »
I'd keep it simple and go with a Tikka or Browning. Some people don't like them, but I haven't seen one that didn't shoot well.

Topping it could be as easy as a Leupold FX3 6x42, whatever their newest version of the VX3 is in 3.5-10x40, or step up to a Zeiss V4.

For your <350 yards the 308 would be a great choice.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2021, 08:10:41 PM »
I’ve had cheap scopes and expensive scopes fail me. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jjness11

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, Ducks Unlimited, Wildlife Committee of Washington
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2021, 08:43:37 PM »
Lots of good advice on here already, and whatever I say is just reiterating others comments. I own both a 270 and a 308. My 308 is for sale on here. My 270 was both mine and my dads first rifle, a Model 70 my grandpa bought my dad in 1959, and was passed down to me. A wise man once said "if someone gave me a thousand bucks, Id buy a $100 rifle and a $900 scope. With your budget, like others have said, Tikka's are great, especially if you throw an aftermarket stock on it. Extremely smooth action and accurate. My only complaint is their barrels tend to be a little slow. Hard to beat the VX-5 with CDS. That combo would fall into your price range.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
Shot the tikka this weekend and man the bore sight was not done properly. Eventually got a few on paper but decided to get my own boresighter so I don't waste any more ammo.  I have to say that Tikka action is flawless. With the break that came with it, it hardly kicks. Can't wait to get it dialed in!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »
You can easily bore sight a bolt action rifle by removing the bolt, and adjusting your scope while looking through the bore. I can usually get my rifles on the target at 100 yards with this method. But it's still best to shoot at 25 yards for your first shot.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
You can easily bore sight a bolt action rifle by removing the bolt, and adjusting your scope while looking through the bore. I can usually get my rifles on the target at 100 yards with this method. But it's still best to shoot at 25 yards for your first shot.
how I do it too
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2021, 03:18:04 PM »
Well darn I should have researched it more because I had that thought: "why don't I just look down the bore and bore sight that way?"  Good to know for the future. And after seeing these comments mentioned it to a friend and he said oh yea you can do it that way!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2021, 03:35:12 PM »
Well darn I should have researched it more because I had that thought: "why don't I just look down the bore and bore sight that way?"  Good to know for the future. And after seeing these comments mentioned it to a friend and he said oh yea you can do it that way!
its the easiest and usually most accurate way. How many rifles has cabelas bore sighted for people that wouldn't even touch a target board at 100  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2021, 03:38:00 PM »
I saw two the other day that didn't hit paper at 50 yards at the range.  A big piece of paper.  The range guys finally convinced them to pull the bolt and do it that way.

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
That's the only way I do it. Quick and easy

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx