collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pneumonia outbreak in Yakima canyon  (Read 6429 times)

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Pneumonia outbreak in Yakima canyon
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 05:47:56 PM »
Its entirely possible he mixed up the Chelan and Manson herd. This article says Manson. :dunno:
https://www.ifiberone.com/columbia_basin/pneumonia-outbreaks-amongst-bighorn-sheep-in-chelan-and-okanogan-counties-has-state-intervening/article_5b1a7cbc-7a70-11ec-bafa-1b40c7af88bd.html
Well the Manson herd does come in contact with the chelan herd down by Walmart

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 06:59:55 PM »
I would be shocked if they had any Umtanum ram tags this year.   I only saw 6 mature rams and know 4 of those were killed and 1 was broken off and had been seen coughing.  Nobody I talked to had seen any others on that side of the river either.   Unless some crossed over the highway,  I don't see there being enough to have any tags.

I'll guarantee they have tags. They want the sportsmen/women killing those sheep. That's a big plus for us hunters in this crappy situation.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »
Its entirely possible he mixed up the Chelan and Manson herd. This article says Manson. :dunno:
https://www.ifiberone.com/columbia_basin/pneumonia-outbreaks-amongst-bighorn-sheep-in-chelan-and-okanogan-counties-has-state-intervening/article_5b1a7cbc-7a70-11ec-bafa-1b40c7af88bd.html

Heard Manson had some issues lately. They way things are going, it won't be long until the Butte and Swak suffer as well. Sad times for WA sheep for sure.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2022, 07:35:47 PM »
I would be shocked if they had any Umtanum ram tags this year.   I only saw 6 mature rams and know 4 of those were killed and 1 was broken off and had been seen coughing.  Nobody I talked to had seen any others on that side of the river either.   Unless some crossed over the highway,  I don't see there being enough to have any tags.

I'll guarantee they have tags. They want the sportsmen/women killing those sheep. That's a big plus for us hunters in this crappy situation.

WDFW has already proposed eliminating the youth, juvenile ram, and adult ewe hunts for both Umtanum and Selah Butte this year due to the outbreak.  Not sure how they can have OIL ram tags in an area that doesn't have rams and where they have eliminated all the other tags.
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 08:04:54 PM »
You're aware this outbreak happened a couple years ago, correct? Hence the reason all the added tags for juvy, ewe, and youth. Being they're basically all infected, why would they eliminate this hunter opportunity they've been allowing to kill the herd?

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 08:17:25 PM »
You're aware this outbreak happened a couple years ago, correct? Hence the reason all the added tags for juvy, ewe, and youth. Being they're basically all infected, why would they eliminate this hunter opportunity they've been allowing to kill the herd?

Yes, I am aware.  I am also aware that there is currently a proposed change to the regs to eliminate the juvenile ram, adult ewe, and youth hunts in those units because of a new outbreak "until the impacts of the outbreak are understood."

https://publicinput.com/I4577

"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 08:26:19 PM »
The biologist I spoke to in October seemed concerned that there may be a new outbreak of a different strain since some of the animals that had been captured and tested negative/collared in February were now seen coughing in September and October.  Perhaps these proposed changes are due to a new outbreak over the past 6 months to a year which concerns them.  My gut tells me that any new testing that they do, or observations of potentially infected animals will result in them being culled by WDFW long before the season this fall which would likely leave numbers too low to support a hunt.

But I'm pretty new to the sheep thing, so I could be way off base.  I'm not new to how government agencies work however, so there's that.....

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 08:34:47 PM »
There isn't going to be a herd there is why they're killing them off. It's done. Either bring in the contract killers or keep.giving our the extra tags. I'd prefer the latter. Regardless, it will come to a point when the contract guys go in and finish off the rest.

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2022, 07:25:55 PM »
Good evening all. I have collaborated with the biologists out of the Wenatchee office and FORTUNATELY there are currently no signs of MOVI present in the North Central herds (Swakane, Chelan Butte and Manson). While the conversation regarding our Wild Sheep in Washington is appreciated, please ensure that you contact those in the "know" prior to spreading misinformation. As you all may or may not know, Wild Sheep are a precious resource and need a close eye on them when it comes to contact with domestics. If you see anything regarding this, you are encouraged to please contact the local WDFW office and let them know.

I look forward to "talking sheep" with all of you who are attending the 2022 annual Wild Sheep Foundation fundraising banquet on March 12th. (tickets are going fast, so get yours soon) It's going to be a fantastic evening to raise funds to support Wild Sheep conservation!

Washingtonwsf.org

Garrett Grant
Vice President
Washington Wild Sheep Foundation

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2022, 07:57:18 PM »
@gurrCentral
Sorry for posting. How do you become "in the know"? Why were you not leading the way sharing information? What was your collaboration? Maybe I'll come watch and learn?

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2022, 08:17:57 PM »
@tbar no problem. To reference your question of how to become "in the know" I will refer to contacting a local WDFW biologist. They are the individuals with help of funding resources/organizations that put planning into action with monitoring, testing, and analyzing data with Wild Sheep. Also, if you would like to get involved with the Washington Wild Sheep Foundation please let me know. We are always looking for individuals who have the same passion for Wild Sheep conservation.

To your question of ...."why were you not leading the way sharing information?"  I was just recently made aware of this thread/posts about the N. Central herds. 

To your question of ...."what was your collaboration?" I contacted the local biologist who monitors the N. Central Washington bighorn sheep herds and inquired about the status of those herds in question. I received a prompt response and I chose to share with those who care about Wild Sheep in Washington, ie, this thread. (as the N. Central Washington herd liaison, I frequently am in contact with WDFW)

I would love to have you "come watch and learn" by talking about Wild Sheep and conservation with you at the banquet. Or contact me about how you would like to get involved with bighorn sheep conservation.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2022, 08:41:08 PM »
The pneumonia issue is ever present.  Therefore limiting the "conservation" or "putting more sheep on the mountain". Absent a change in the current reality of the wild domestic overlap conservation becomes self limiting to an extent? Correct? Then the reality of selling 30-40% of the available tags and some conflicts of interest inside of your org and the conversation becomes more complex, right?  Should I contact Bernie to clarify the current status? Other bios? Many things look wrong on the surface and includes your org so maybe I need more insight.  Maybe taking all your conservation dollars and pay Martinez not to graze? I'm not sure but feel like the crux and threat of M-ovi will continue to be a constant limiting factor.  Also are you saying that the cited news source is incorrect? Or individual posts?

Offline scree

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2022, 09:10:49 PM »
I'm just happy that the N. Central herds are healthy.  We can use some good news. WA sheep have been getting their teeth kicked in with MOVI way too much lately.  Hopefully these sheep stay healthy. 

FYI there is a purposed rule to bar pack goats from certain WDFW lands and the comment period is open.  I wrote something  like "I support the restriction of domestic goats on WDFW lands that are near bighorn sheep herds" If you are so inclined, please log on and make a comment supporting the separation of domestic livestock and our wild sheep.

I would like to note that I'm not anti pack goat. I think people should be able to recreate how they want; however, in the case of bring potentially MOVI positive animals amongst bighorns is just not the risk.     

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2022, 09:17:19 PM »
I'm just happy that the N. Central herds are healthy.  We can use some good news. WA sheep have been getting their teeth kicked in with MOVI way too much lately.  Hopefully these sheep stay healthy. 

FYI there is a purposed rule to bar pack goats from certain WDFW lands and the comment period is open.  I wrote something  like "I support the restriction of domestic goats on WDFW lands that are near bighorn sheep herds" If you are so inclined, please log on and make a comment supporting the separation of domestic livestock and our wild sheep.

I would like to note that I'm not anti pack goat. I think people should be able to recreate how they want; however, in the case of bring potentially MOVI positive animals amongst bighorns is just not the risk.     

Is there any proposals to enforce or ban domestic sheep grazing where wild sheep live? Seems like the pack goat problem is pretty minimal. I’ve hiked all over the cascades and blues and have never run into any pack goats. Maybe a half dozen llamas.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2022, 09:27:36 PM »

Is there any proposals to enforce or ban domestic sheep grazing where wild sheep live? Seems like the pack goat problem is pretty minimal. I’ve hiked all over the cascades and blues and have never run into any pack goats. Maybe a half dozen llamas.
I doubt it.  Too political for the .Org. It's easy to attack the low hanging fruit and not address the issue but "try".  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]