collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Upping your waterfowl game  (Read 4762 times)

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
Re: Upping your waterfowl game
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 09:24:00 PM »
Boat x 1000

Offline Basinguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
I hunt and live here in tri cities. If you get a boat be carefull where you go. If your serious gps areas when its nice out that way if you run into trouble you won't get hurt as easily. People die or get hurt often duck hunting water over here, ol timers at the docks will tell you stories, hypothermia aint no joke. I make my crew wear wet suits under their breathables because when, not if, when they go under I don't want them dieing.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 09:37:53 AM »
Best adivce is scout as much as you can.  Try to get permission if possible and hunt the good days, big migration pushes in front of storms, windy days and hunt the tides.  I like to hunt an incoming tide and I find I hunt just as many afternoons as I do mornings.  I learned the patterns, so I didn't have to get to a spot at midnight or the day before to hunt it.  Some afternoon and evening shoots are as good if not better.  I had purchased a really nice duck boat, but ended up selling it as I was using it 2-5 times a season.  I found the field hunting very productive and I didn't have to watchout for the tides and deal with the salt that way.  Boating opportunity is very dependant on where you hunt or prefer to hunt.  As mentioned a boat opens up more public opportunity for you if you have the time to invest.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline gallion_t

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 10:13:09 AM »
I hunt and live here in tri cities. If you get a boat be carefull where you go. If your serious gps areas when its nice out that way if you run into trouble you won't get hurt as easily. People die or get hurt often duck hunting water over here, ol timers at the docks will tell you stories, hypothermia aint no joke. I make my crew wear wet suits under their breathables because when, not if, when they go under I don't want them dieing.

Great advice for anyone. Not just on the Columbia. Ive been operating boats for about 20 years and I like to think im pretty safe/smart about the water and weather, but you can never be too careful.

Offline JBG

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2022, 11:00:46 AM »

Have you looked into some of the camo dry suits Predator gear makes?  Might be more functional

Offline Basinguy

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 11:16:54 AM »
JBG - Predator wetsuits - had no idea they were something. They look cool but probably not comfortable.

That week were it was like 5 degrees it was no joke. One day my boat froze to the trailer. It actually broke the bunk off the trailer because it was froze to it to get it in the water. The motor had it's own heater too because the pee line would freeze quickly. The deck of the boat would have inches of ice stuck to it from going in and out. Not to mention, theres not a soul out there, so if something happens, you better be ready to survive for hours if not days. I was a costie and when it gets like that, I get serious, I pack for the worst. NO cell service on a lot of the water in the tri cities too.

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 12:39:30 PM »
No joke on the Columbia. If you end up with a boat, make sure you have a depth finder and check out the ares you want to set up or stash the boat. Scout out areas during the warm months.  With out a dog you are going to need shallow areas to retrieve, or your heading for the boat constantly. Done That !! With a boat and a dog it opens up a bunch of area you (and every one else) can't walk into and gives you more options.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 03:22:49 PM »
If your goal is limits in marginal areas... Stay out all day.  Many times we have had the first hour be hot and then cool way down.  I stay in the blind and shoot singles randomly throughout the rest of the day.  Most hunters get bored and head back in.  Staying in the blind will kill more ducks than sitting back at the truck complaining about how slow a day it is.  Ducks fly all day.  To beat the boredom, bring a radio and listen to a football game.  Take up whittling.  Bring a book.  This same tactic works for deer.  I have killed a few animals in the early afternoon on very slow mornings.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 05:42:02 PM »
I’m going to chip in another vote for a boat. It’s doesn’t have to be anything big or fancy, just something that gets around. I picked up a 10’ Jon boat from bass pro. One person can move it around, it fits in my pickup & gets around w/ a minnkota. I use my humminbird w/ gps to know where I am & where I’m going in the dark.

Offline gallion_t

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 10:54:57 PM »
I've been browsing boats. I feel like I want something in the 14-16 foot range. Not sure if or when ill pull the trigger though. I just can't wait for the season to start.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2022, 05:22:10 AM »
I've killed a lot of ducks and geese over my 27 years of hunting for them.  I agree with the above about a boat to open up more areas.  Sounds like you have a decent spot or two though if you're finding birds now.  If you end up not getting a boat for a while, and are able to get a layout blind, I would highly recommend it.  Concealment is our #1 priority after finding birds, and a layout is a GREAT way to conceal and keep a low profile.  Most have stubble straps, use them with brush and grasses that surround you.  #2 is your movement.   Ducks have amazing vision, even if you're in a normal blind with brush in front and behind you, usually your top is open, or mostly open.  If you're fidgeting around, those birds are gonna see right down into your blind and pick up on it.  Remember, just because you're tucked down behind a blind in front of you, doesn't mean those ducks can't see you from above.  #3 decoys. If you've got ducks already wanting to be in your area you don't need 5 dozen decoys set out.  I've killed a ton of birds over a dozen or less.  Set up for the wind and give them a pocket of some sort to land in.  I'm also a fan of jerk cords, especially on non windy days.  Learn when to use it and when not to and you'll get way more birds to commit more easily.  #4 calling.  This goes along with decoys and if you're already in a spot birds want to be.  In most cases less is more, especially on public ground where EVERYONE  is calling, and let's face it, a lot calling badly.  If you're hunting distant passing birds then calling is a little more important because obviously you need to let them know you're there.  Good luck this upcoming season.  You'll always be learning.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]