collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WCO Work  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Buck457

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Freedivers
Re: WCO Work
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2022, 11:07:35 AM »
This is strictly dry land. I have caught one otter so far, there is one more and they are very trap shy. I have blocked off all around the building and left one entrance with the traps in place. hopefully i catch the second otter. I am always trying to glean the wisdom from the more experienced trappers, so any tips for dry trapping otter is greatly appreciated.
With greatness comes great sacrifice.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2022, 11:17:22 AM »
This is strictly dry land. I have caught one otter so far, there is one more and they are very trap shy. I have blocked off all around the building and left one entrance with the traps in place. hopefully i catch the second otter. I am always trying to glean the wisdom from the more experienced trappers, so any tips for dry trapping otter is greatly appreciated.
I know what you are dealing with. If one otter sees another caught, they can become almost impossible to get to go near a trap or even the same location sans trap. The only option I can think of is to apply for a Special Trapping permit and put in a padded jaw trap in a different hole.
OK, one other thought, if the otter can be excluded from entering under the house does it really need to be caught?
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 10:56:17 AM »
I finally caught the otter and installed fencing around the building. that job is done. now i have another job where a river otter is messing with a domestic dog. The owner wants me to trap the otter before his dog gets injured. Thank you for your advice and guidance.

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 10:37:09 AM »
ok, I've got another difficult WCO job for mountain beaver. does anyone have tips or tricks on how to catch them and how do I prevent them from returning. Is there an effective way to repair the damage they have caused to the hillside? i appreciate your help and guidance.

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 12:08:34 PM »
Small cage in front of the tunnel opening and bait with half a apple , be prepared to catch a rat or squirrel too
You can’t prevent them from showing up again and the tunnel repair ehhh that’s the homeowner problem

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2022, 04:09:18 PM »
Small cage in front of the tunnel opening and bait with half a apple , be prepared to catch a rat or squirrel too
You can’t prevent them from showing up again and the tunnel repair ehhh that’s the homeowner problem
Yes the damage isn't really your issue, your there as a professional trapper to solve the animal issue for the property owner. In the past I have just kicked the dirt back in the hole and raked it flat, only did that as there were livestock in with them and broken leg on a horse or cow is no good

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 11:14:17 AM »

As I has suspected. i think i will throw a large amount of chili powder down each tunnel and push the dirt back in the hopes of preventing a new residence from moving in.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 12:50:51 PM »
If you have the Permit, I wouldn't use this set up where the Kids or a Cocker Spaniel could get caught, but a place like under a House Boat where Otters are tearing up the Styrofoam, safe and out of sight it should work out nice.
 A little bit of "Mink Musk" will help an Otter get mad enough to take his mind off getting caught. :tup:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 01:00:21 PM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2022, 11:11:23 AM »
If you have the Permit, I wouldn't use this set up where the Kids or a Cocker Spaniel could get caught, but a place like under a House Boat where Otters are tearing up the Styrofoam, safe and out of sight it should work out nice.
 A little bit of "Mink Musk" will help an Otter get mad enough to take his mind off getting caught. :tup:

Thank you AL, if I receive an otter call on a dock I will definitely try this.

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »
Ok, I've got an odd one here. I've recently been working a nuisance coyote job where a client's domestic dog is being attacked by a pack of denning coyotes. I was able to trap one and had a few misses. So, I changed up my a few of my sets making 4 bone sets. three T-bone sets and a large bone just laid on the ground as a backing. I went to check my traps yesterday and found 2 of the T-bone sets with the bone pulled out of the ground and laying on top of where the trap is buried and the large bone the same. Does anyone have any idea what may have done this? i tested the traps and they are firing normally. Whatever did this did not step on the trap. Either it is a smaller animal like a spotted skink or a larger animal like a mountain lion. Speculation is much appreciated.

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 08:30:30 AM »
Ok, I've got an odd one here. I've recently been working a nuisance coyote job where a client's domestic dog is being attacked by a pack of denning coyotes. I was able to trap one and had a few misses. So, I changed up my a few of my sets making 4 bone sets. three T-bone sets and a large bone just laid on the ground as a backing. I went to check my traps yesterday and found 2 of the T-bone sets with the bone pulled out of the ground and laying on top of where the trap is buried and the large bone the same. Does anyone have any idea what may have done this? i tested the traps and they are firing normally. Whatever did this did not step on the trap. Either it is a smaller animal like a spotted skink or a larger animal like a mountain lion. Speculation is much appreciated.
probably crows

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
 :yeah: Birds would be my guess to.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Buck457

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »
probably crows

This is a heavily brushed in and covered area. I have not seen any crows in this area.

Online LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »
Crows and Ravens will arrive at first light to pick up food on their usual routes. They know to stop at my chicken house at 5:00 a.m. and then I never see them the rest of the day. They are smart birds.

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 07:39:03 AM »
Good old trench sets get them

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal