collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Season 2022 “Tech Tip”.  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Elk Season 2022 “Tech Tip”.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 03:38:43 PM »
I know one who shot a 4pt while dropping a Duce
Schtuff happens

A buddy of mine got his first Muley that way.
He had to drop a deuce, so he took off his pack and rifle and laid them against a tree. Then walked about 10 feet away and proceeded to take a cap. Mid squeeze, a decent 3x4 started up the draw towards him. He realized his TP was in his pack, so he had to duck walk with his pants still down over to his rifle and pack. With pants still around his ankles, she shot the buck at about 25 feet. Then he was able to wipe  :chuckle:

I was above him in the same draw, and came down when I heard the shot. It was foul! Like a bear that has been gorging on blackberries for a week!
I made him bury it and drag the buck down the draw away from the smell before i would help him gut it out. I also told him "no more Three Finger Jacks chili before the opener.  :o
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2022, 03:44:32 PM »
Start your beard now.
Nothing worse than the two week attempt at the I'm going elk hunting look.

Online NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 07:07:03 PM »
Dump the hoochie mama
 :chuckle:

:tup:  Thank you.

Curious why folks are so down on these?   Some of the crappiest sounding elk sounds actually come from elk.  :twocents:
Not all elk sound perfect.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Online MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 07:48:11 PM »
Dump the hoochie mama
 :chuckle:

:tup:  Thank you.

Curious why folks are so down on these?   Some of the crappiest sounding elk sounds actually come from elk.  :twocents:
Not all elk sound perfect.

They get way overused IMO
Make a decent call sound
But it’s the same note every time
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Online NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 08:10:53 PM »
I get it, lots of folks just push push push, sounding like a broken record. But they can work if used properly, many ways to change sound/pitch.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 08:16:41 PM »
Allright guys, every year, in every elk state.... somebody stops on a road, blows their horn and an immature bull runs up out of the timber; they may or may not get a shot.  This is not what you want to hang your hat on during the elk rut (that is not the norm, most bulls are keenly tuned into their environment and knows who's who for the most part and not stupid by a long shot).  I guarantee you that squeaky, social calf sounding hoochie call, turns more bulls off than on.  It's probably a good sound when "mixed in" with other elk sounds.  Want to maximize your opportunities in the September/early October elk rut?  Learn how to make the basic elk sounds using a diaphragm.  Locator bugle, challenge bugle, bull calling cows to him bugle (using chuckles), social cow sounds, excited cow sounds, and yes.... even calf sounds (sure, you can keep the hoochie in your pocket for that if you wish).  I'm not kidding you wild bohemians, learn good elk sounds, learn to apply the sounds as necessitated by the situation, and do your very best to understand the bull's "mood" as it were during a calling situation. Heck, it's oftentimes the best method to not make any sounds at all, again, depending on the situation.  If you live anywhere close to me, swing by one evening or on the weekend and I'll get you making elk sounds, realistic elk sounds.  And yah, some guys say they choke when trying to use a diaphragm, I can recommend one manufacturer that may work for you.  If not, I can recommend some bite and blow cow calls and reed bugles that'll get you well on your way. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Wizekrakr

• Tracker
    • Don Davis
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2022, 08:23:55 PM »
A good time to get all your gear out that takes batteries, range finder, bino's, radio's, head lamps, camp gear, etc. to check all the batteries you forgot to take out last fall and make sure they are not leaking acid.  Get the rechargables out and locate the cords and recharge units for them. 

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 10:03:14 AM »
You don't know what your talking about!  :chuckle:

I have called elk in to shooting range EVERY SINGLE YEAR I have used a hoochie mama. More than the guy down the ridge using a diaphragm call that's hunting with me. Cuz it takes him longer to adjust. I have been told I sounded like a herd of elk coming in even. You can change pitch and mew even by just pressing at a different speed. They work just fine. Sometimes it's more like when you make a perfect big nasty bugle a bull is turned off because he thinks your bigger than him and doesn't come in. He tried to move his herd away.  I have never failed to bring in elk with a couple hoochie mama's. Yes one in each hand. It's all about how you use it. Same with making noise. Break sticks and step on brush. Elk herds make tons of noise. I have pulled the interest of cows in a herd using hoochie mama's and when the cows come running the bull comes running with them for fear of losing his harem. I never use a bugle. It makes me appear to be a group of cows without a bull and it has worked for me. There is more than one way to skin an elk.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 10:17:15 AM by LDennis24 »

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 10:21:35 AM »
 :tup:

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2022, 09:20:37 AM »
Be safe and enjoy the fact that you’re once again in the elk woods during the most magical time of the year.

elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline WildBear

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2022, 08:13:08 AM »
Start your beard now.
Nothing worse than the two week attempt at the I'm going elk hunting look.

Just might follow this tip! 💯 true
Worst day hunting is better than best day working!

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 04:29:59 PM »
My 17yo (at the time) cousin, with a couple chirps of a Hoochie mama, pulled a 7x7 Roosevelt bull away from his cows he just rounded up, right into bow range and let the air out of him. Lol

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 06:40:13 AM »
If you spend any time listening to elk that don't know your there you find out alot of different sounds they make. Some of them you can't make with a hoochie mama and some you can. I've even had lonesome bulls wander into the area and bark or chirp trying to find the cow they just heard and sometimes it sounds like nothing you've ever seen on a video. A diaphragm works well for that. But you don't need to make those sounds very often. Just when you want a loner to come into range or to stop out of curiosity. It's amazing sometimes what will make an elk come in and sometimes the same things will push them onto the next ridge.  :dunno:

Offline Badsmerf

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2022, 08:42:48 AM »
Not sure about you guys, I write down an itinerary for each trip. Helps me remember everything I need and not leave anything at home.

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2022, 09:36:18 AM »
Poop before you leave  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal