collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Safety Issue - Action flagging  (Read 2823 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Safety Issue - Action flagging
« on: September 28, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »
At the range on Sunday, I was working the pistol range. People with pistols are the most likely to lose muzzle control and commit other safety breaches. We were going cold so I had everyone out of the huts into the neutral zone before going cold. Everyone had been previously instructed by me to drop their mags, lock open the action, and use chamber flags. I noticed one guy with three firearms had put the chamber flags down the barrel from the front with the action closed. I called him over and showed him his live round, asked him to eject it, and I showed him the other guns in the shed that were properly prepared for a cold range. He corrected and we went cold. He came up to me after we went hot and was embarrassed and apologized profusely. I'm glad he got the possible gravity of his error. Two safeguards helped keep this from becoming an incident. Everyone out of the sheds until firearms are checked and proper instruction to avoid repeat safety issues. Anyone teaching someone else to use firearms should have action flags and be taught to use them properly. Always check their procedure. When the range goes cold, no one touches anything on the shooting table or surface. It forces new users to double check their safety precautions and keeps everyone safe on the range. End of rant.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
Re: Safety Issue - Action flagging
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
Good job.......you may have saved a life.......maybe this past Sunday or in the future. You mention 3 guns......I have imposed a handle one gun at a time mandate on myself. If it isn't being fired, it is in its case, and back in my vehicle. If the person referred to couldn't even clear his weapon correctly......I can see good potential for confusion and error if the three guns were a Glock, A Sig DA/SA and a 1911.

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 11:21:10 AM »
Nice job!
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 12:21:03 PM »
He came up to me after we went hot and was embarrassed and apologized profusely. I'm glad he got the possible gravity of his error.

As my wife often reminds me, how you say something aka tone and attitude is equally as important as what you're saying.  I don't know you but I'd bet you probably talked to the guy with respect making him aware and didn't do the freakout out over the top scolding thing which often causes people to react defensively because they're embarrassed they got called out.

Often, under these kinds of circumstances, how someone responds to you or the situation is a direct reflection of how you talked to or treated them so I'd say good on you for making it a positive experience.  :tup:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 01:10:47 PM »
He came up to me after we went hot and was embarrassed and apologized profusely. I'm glad he got the possible gravity of his error.

As my wife often reminds me, how you say something aka tone and attitude is equally as important as what you're saying.  I don't know you but I'd bet you probably talked to the guy with respect making him aware and didn't do the freakout out over the top scolding thing which often causes people to react defensively because they're embarrassed they got called out.

Often, under these kinds of circumstances, how someone responds to you or the situation is a direct reflection of how you talked to or treated them so I'd say good on you for making it a positive experience.  :tup:

:yeah:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 01:34:49 PM »
When action flags first started to be used at ranges, my reaction was:

"great, one more nanny state rule to follow!"

Having been around them for some time now, I really really like them and think they are a great addition to a range, private or private. 

I guess some old dogs do learn new tricks.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »
There is a range close to Silverdale, WA (Clear Creek Road ??)......I quit shooting there after seeing the number of people who cannot grasp the concept of always keeping the muzzle pointed downrange. This included guys "teaching" their wives, girlfriends and grandchildren. 

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 03:06:44 PM »
I still can’t get used to having to put a flag in my muzzleloader. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »

I did talk to him calmly and quietly. I don't get excited with people until I'm correcting them the third time for the same thing, usually muzzle control.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »
Good on ya!
I have certainly seen my share of stupid crap at the range. And out in the field, but that is a whole ‘nother bunch of crap.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 07:54:26 PM »
 :tup:  It's a good thing to have patience.  Note to Self.. :chuckle:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline ArcherTL

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 06:35:05 AM »
Most people dont know what chamber flags are to be honest. Unless they shoot at matches or ranges that require them. I have never seen them used in the military, at least since i have been in.
They are a good visual identifier.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 06:07:23 PM by ArcherTL »

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 12:10:28 PM »
Most people dont know what chamber flags are. Unless they shoot at matches or ranges that require them. I have never seen then used in the military since i have been in.
They are a good visual identifier.

:yeah:

Good on you Pman for keeping the line safe, and showing patience. That in itself may keep a new shooter coming back to the range instead of going out and shooting up trees.

I see this probably about 1 out of 3 range trips and I hit the outdoor range at least once a week for pistol and rifle, weather depended. And the indoor range (does not use flaps, but has extended walls on each side) for pistol at least once a week, more if weather is crappy.

The previous owner of the outdoor range I shoot at most, was a complete a$$ hole. He drove away tons of shooters with how he treated people. They almost went out of business. Luckily he sold it and the new owners have some fantastic Range Officers.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 03:39:36 PM »
Lol, I set some rules at camp when we started out this week. I'm sure my brother and nephews thought it was a bit boy scoutish, but we all left on our own accord at the end. I achieved that goal.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal