collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking for a new Semi Auto Duck gun  (Read 2713 times)

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
looking for a new Semi Auto Duck gun
« on: November 13, 2022, 08:24:54 AM »
I have been out of the Duck hunting scene for 10-12 years and would like to get back into it. I have shot my old pump guns and would now like to get a solid Semi Auto that will shoot 2 3/4 up to 3.5 inch ammo without a hitch.
Can anyone steer me towards a bullet proof Semi Auto that won't turn into a single shot on a cold day?
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: looking for a new Semi Auto Duck gun
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 08:48:15 AM »
Browning Gold was a really nice shotgun.  I’m not sure I’d classify it as bulletproof.   If you don’t clean it well, it will gum up on you.   I’ve killed a lot of stuff with mine.

Online mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 09:58:54 AM »
Benelli Vinci is my go-to
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 06:46:35 PM by mountainman »
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 05:20:20 PM »
There are lots of good choices out there. A gun that fits you is the most important thing. Browning, Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Franchi are all good choices. I love my Versamax but Remington doesn’t make it, anymore.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 05:34:04 PM »
I love my Franchi.  Had it for a couple years now

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »
I run a Beretta Extrema most of the time, but my go to gun is Baikal (Russian prior to Remington). I've had issues (light hammer strikes) with Browning/Winchester, both made the same way and manufacturing company. Keep in mind if you by new you may have a break in time. My Beretta said 4-500 rounds of target loads until it would function with heavy loads. And don't get one with recoil buffers for different loads.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 08:43:51 AM »
Take a look at the Browning Maxus or A5. Really though any of the top brands make nice guns for waterfowl. The Winchester SX4 may be another option at a better price point too.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 08:51:15 AM »
Most of the guys I hunt with run Benelli SBE2 or SBE3.  The ones that aren't running those run the Beretta A400.  I see a few folks running the Maxus or A-5.  A step down from the above mentioned would be a Winchester SX3/SX4 or a Franchi.
I run all Benelli's.  Easy to clean and tear down.  Inertia system is pretty simple vs. a gas system.  My current SBE2 that I run probably has close to 10k rounds through it and just shy of 3k birds with it.  It will go to Rob Roberts in the off season for an overhaul.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 09:37:16 AM »
I've hunted an SX3 for 10 years and never had a misfire or jam.  As mentioned, there are a few better options out there now in 2022, but it's held up well for me with 10+ hunts a year over salt/brackish water and I'm very hard on my tools for what it's worth.

Although some might say I'm biased towards Winchester... I named my dogs "Winnie" and "Chester" if that tells you something.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:50:46 PM by Chesterdog »

Offline mboyle0828

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 09:46:02 AM »
Winchester SX4 is my go-to.  I run a Patternmaster Code Black choke.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 09:47:12 AM »
The Stoeger M3500 is a cheaper option and clone of the Benelli SBE. Inertia driven system. I’ve heard it occasionally struggles with the 2 3/4 shells because the spring is stiff enough for the 3 1/2 shells. I went with the M3000 for that reason, no need to shoot 3 1/2 for me. If that’s more within your budget it’s a good option. Haven’t had a single failure with mine.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 10:28:29 AM »
The Stoeger M3500 is a cheaper option and clone of the Benelli SBE. Inertia driven system. I’ve heard it occasionally struggles with the 2 3/4 shells because the spring is stiff enough for the 3 1/2 shells. I went with the M3000 for that reason, no need to shoot 3 1/2 for me. If that’s more within your budget it’s a good option. Haven’t had a single failure with mine.
Not a clone by any means.  M3500 has the recoil spring on the mag tube which is a cheaper build.  Benelli has it in the stock.  Bolts are completely different as well and disassembly is different.  You will also noticed a lighter barrel on the M3500 and not cryo treated like the M2, SBE2, SBE3.  A lot less expensive components on the M3500 along with being built in Turkey.  Probably fine for the average hunter.  I have had to fix several in the field for people as they don't spend the time learning how to disassemble them and properly clean them.  I maybe a harsher critic than most as I spend close to 100 days a season in the field using them. I see what works, doesn't work and what works well.  Biggest key to you picking a gun is find one that shoulders well.  Fits you well.  If it doesn't fit you well, you will have to learn how to shoot it well with time at the range or you won't shoot it well.  A good fitting shotgun helps you shoot better.  Practice and range time make you a better shot hands down.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 11:23:51 AM »
Anyone seen or handled a Mossberg 940 waterfowl? The new Remington V3 waterfowl looks pretty good as well.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline sjhgraysage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »
IMHO
Benelli if the budget can handle it.  SBE

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 06:48:00 PM »
Not a clone by any means.  M3500 has the recoil spring on the mag tube which is a cheaper build.  Benelli has it in the stock.  Bolts are completely different as well and disassembly is different.  You will also noticed a lighter barrel on the M3500 and not cryo treated like the M2, SBE2, SBE3.  A lot less expensive components on the M3500 along with being built in Turkey.  Probably fine for the average hunter.  I have had to fix several in the field for people as they don't spend the time learning how to disassemble them and properly clean them.  I maybe a harsher critic than most as I spend close to 100 days a season in the field using them. I see what works, doesn't work and what works well.  Biggest key to you picking a gun is find one that shoulders well.  Fits you well.  If it doesn't fit you well, you will have to learn how to shoot it well with time at the range or you won't shoot it well.  A good fitting shotgun helps you shoot better.  Practice and range time make you a better shot hands down.

100% to everything here. Except I don’t get 100 days in the field 😢

I went in thinking I was buying a Benelli and came out with a Franchi because it shouldered better for me.  At the end of the day that takes the cake. It hasn’t disappointed me yet.  Does that mean a Franchi will be best for you?  Nope.  Pick these things up and see what you like, then learn to care for them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal