collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ceramic coating new truck  (Read 2939 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: Ceramic coating new truck
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 01:20:26 PM »
Truck is white. All of my trucks have been white so the scratches don’t show up as much.

Exactly! I have a 2012 F-150 that's seen more than its share of brush, and it really hides it well.

A truck is like a tool in a tool chest meant to be used, I wear my scratches like a badge of honor!   :chuckle:

100% on both of these.   :yeah:  ALL of my vehicles over the years have always been white.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 01:43:16 PM »
Truck is white. All of my trucks have been white so the scratches don’t show up as much.

Exactly! I have a 2012 F-150 that's seen more than its share of brush, and it really hides it well.

A truck is like a tool in a tool chest meant to be used, I wear my scratches like a badge of honor!   :chuckle:

100% on both of these.   :yeah:  ALL of my vehicles over the years have always been white.
For sure.  I remember hunting the umptanum muzzy elk.  Guy said nice truck.  I said thanks just got it last week.  He says how did you get up here?  I drove.  Well don't go down pine, that is so overgrown you will destroy that truck.    Uh....I came up pine.   :yike:

Another year and another new truck just before Swakane archery season.  "You're going to ride with someone else this year and not take that up the hill right?"  Why would I wait a year to scratch it up?  Up the hill I went.

With all of that said if there was a product that would protect it from the abuse I would certainly do it.  I have all kinds of aftermarket stuff on order to make the truck better than factory.  If there was something I could do to make the factory paint more durable I would love to.

Sounds like the ceramic coat will help a little but will still scratch the same and may be tougher to repair.  I guess I will wait to hear more on that.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »
I just did the wipe on ceramic for my jeeps black plastic. looked great for a week or 2, then this winter hit.  Curious to see how it holds up.

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 02:21:52 PM »
I used the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray late summer and it seems to be holding up to outside storage pretty well. For $18 and an hour of work, I think I'll choose that over the detail shop charging $$.
And no, nothing short of film is going to protect you from backcountry pinstriping.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »
I don't like shinny and fancy so raptor liner for the win...
Durable and easy to fix. The more we cover with it the more I like it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »
Most of the hunting damage I get to paint are very light scratches from sage and tree branches.  I usually spend an afternoon each spring getting them all out and a bit of touchup paint for rock chips.  It's very easy to do and inexpensive.

I don't hesitate going pretty much anywhere I think I can get without getting stuck but also like my truck to look as good as possible.

It was surprising to me to see what you can get out in a few minutes with a dual action polisher.  My truck looks better than 95% of my neighbors that never get off pavement.

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 04:32:42 PM »
Does anyone here have experience with the wraps?  How durable are the wraps? 

I need to have some work done to my truck to fix a few dents (my wife ran over a poor little defenseless Subaru in a parking lot...), plus I replaced the tailgate with one that has a step but is a different color and the typical Ford paint peel on the front of the hood, but want to get the whole thing painted when its done.  I don't take it in the sticks much anymore but do occasionally brush up against sagebrush.  I apologize if this derails the thread but it seems like this might be a good option to ceramic?
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 05:12:39 PM »
Most of the hunting damage I get to paint are very light scratches from sage and tree branches.  I usually spend an afternoon each spring getting them all out and a bit of touchup paint for rock chips.  It's very easy to do and inexpensive.

I don't hesitate going pretty much anywhere I think I can get without getting stuck but also like my truck to look as good as possible.

It was surprising to me to see what you can get out in a few minutes with a dual action polisher.  My truck looks better than 95% of my neighbors that never get off pavement.

what are you using with your DA MACHINE?  I've got one and my truck will need a good buffing to remove some light scratches.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2022, 07:47:59 PM »
@bearhunter99 Im curious about the wrap also. I’m sure it will protect the paint but still show scratches is my guess. The wraps are expensive
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2022, 08:30:35 PM »

what are you using with your DA MACHINE?  I've got one and my truck will need a good buffing to remove some light scratches.

I have 2 go-to's, both from Chemical Guys.  VSS and a yellow pad for light stuff and an orange pad with C4 if I have heavy oxidation on the paint (I did my 2000 Silverado) or if you have some deeper stuff.  The C4 sometimes needs a second polish with something like VSS or sometimes it's fine on it's own depending on the color.

Most stuff the VSS works great as a one-step unless you paint is old and you need to cut the top junky oxidized stuff off.  I use VSS probably 95% of the time.

I'm sure other brands work as good, it's not rocket science, just light abrasive paste.

I also use the same thing on my boat if I get a bit frisky with the Everett launch docks and end up with white bumper rub.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]