collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: BEST YOUTH RIFLE FOR SMALL KID  (Read 2856 times)

Offline treefarmer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: BEST YOUTH RIFLE FOR SMALL KID
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2022, 11:53:12 AM »
Another vote for the ruger American.   I bought the cheap savage youth combo at cabelas a few years ago on sale for 250 bucks or something.  Hardest kicking 6.5 creedmore I’ve ever shot.  Horrible trigger.  Kid won’t shoot it so it stays under the seat in my truck pretty much full time

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2022, 12:04:08 PM »
All the rifles in our house have brakes but We wear hearing protection always. Young shooters aren't gonna be or shouldn't be taking quick snap shots or moving shots so take the 3 seconds and put your plugs in.  I'm pretty positive everyone commenting here grew up banging away with no ear pro and have some level of loss due to it. For me, I'm positive I've shot thousands of unprotected rounds. Wasn't until I started using brakes and then taking kids hunting that I really committed to ear pro always. Hasn't cost us a single animal. Of course it's all western hunting spot and stalk. May be different for you brush beatin west side boys  :dunno:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2022, 12:06:31 PM »
I never thought making a gun louder was a good idea for kids OR adults.
I'd skip the brake and shoot reduced-recoil loads instead.
Hearing damage is permanent.

Hearing protection is a must and should be worn with or without a brake.  In the event you have to take a shot in the hunting scenario a .243 / 7-08 / 6.5 creedmoor etc. with a brake will not cause permanent hearing loss for one or two shots.   It’s prolonged / frequent exposure to loud noises that cause permanent damage.  This is not the case with magnum calibers that will make your ears ring for a weak.   With that said…..even in a hunting scenario…if you’re able, you should put on hearing protection for the shot.   
I agree about the brake and hearing protection. One shot from a braked rifle can cause permanent hearing damage. It may be unnoticeable but hearing loss is cumulative and never gets better.

You are correct, but the same is true for everything we do in life.  You will have more cumulative hearing loss from horns, sirens industrial noise, etc over the years than you will from a couple shots of a rifle a year.   Point being wear hearing protection if possible but to think one or two rifle shots per year without is causing irreparable damage is just an exaggeration of the facts.

Now if your shoot thousands of rounds per year without good hearing protection…..it’s gonna make car rides with the wife more manageable later in life.
I guess the experts are wrong....
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2022, 12:38:48 PM »
Another vote for the ruger American.   I bought the cheap savage youth combo at cabelas a few years ago on sale for 250 bucks or something.  Hardest kicking 6.5 creedmore I’ve ever shot.  Horrible trigger.  Kid won’t shoot it so it stays under the seat in my truck pretty much full time
actually bought my middle daughter the same savage in 243 and she hated it.

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2022, 07:49:26 PM »

Good to know!
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2022, 09:45:22 PM »
My daughters are small as well 8 and 11.

Ruger American Compact GO Wild in 6.5 Creedmoor with a muzzle break topped with a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 has proven perfect.
SliverSlinger

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2022, 08:03:25 AM »
I’m a little partial to the 30 30 myself.  Maybe because I just think it’s such a great gun and that’s what I started with

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2022, 08:05:50 AM »

Good to know!
it's for sale if you're interested

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]