collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New world record mountain goat  (Read 5260 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: New world record mountain goat
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 09:22:19 AM »
Dandy goat.  I wish I have had a chance to draw a tag years ago.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 10:00:18 AM »
Not only is that goat giant but the fact that he eclipses the previous WR by 3" is just incredible. Simply amazing.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 10:07:14 AM »
Not only is that goat giant but the fact that he eclipses the previous WR by 3" is just incredible. Simply amazing.

This is the real kicker.

When you think about goats and inches...a tiny little bit means a lot. My billy was  1 1/8" from being a B&C goat... but the real goat guys wouldn't even look twice at the one I killed. He'd be way too small. That's a little over 1/2" total difference per side. It's almost nothing. 3" bigger is astronomical and it's still only a little bit per side....

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 11:15:37 AM »
That thing is unreal!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 11:23:25 AM »
Truly incredible goat!  :o
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
Was it Eichler who says "holy chowder"? That applies here I think amazing specimen.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 01:00:57 PM »
Was it Eichler who says "holy chowder"? That applies here I think amazing specimen.

I thought it was Cryder who said that.................
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 03:49:54 PM »
Crazy goat. Doesn’t even look quiet real with all the length.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 05:03:09 PM »

This is the real kicker.

When you think about goats and inches...a tiny little bit means a lot. My billy was  1 1/8" from being a B&C goat... but the real goat guys wouldn't even look twice at the one I killed. He'd be way too small. That's a little over 1/2" total difference per side. It's almost nothing. 3" bigger is astronomical and it's still only a little bit per side....
an article from Boone and Crockett about the previous world record (2011) commented that it bested the old record by "a substantial 6/8"." 

So 3" is remarkable. A record that will likely stand long past we are all dead and gone. I expect hunting as we know it to be no more within my lifetime so a record that will likely stand forever  :'(
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 10:24:33 PM »
Some quick math puts the new record 5% bigger than the old one. Can you imagine that happening in some other species? An elk 5% bigger than the previous record? A mule deer? The more I think about it the more impressive it is.

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2023, 07:48:59 AM »
Pictures do not do it justice. It is freaky big. I stood in awe and I’m not much for mountain goats!

Offline hunterednate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2023, 08:55:21 AM »
Incredible. @jackelope, do you know the age of that goat? From the annuli, it looks like a 6.5 year old, but I could be counting wrong. Just a remarkable animal.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2023, 11:27:54 AM »
I’m not very experienced or good at that, but I’d also guess 6.5 years old also. Which is crazy by the way. Goes to show what some amazing genetics can do. Someone with more experience can say for sure.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2023, 12:33:58 PM »
Yep, astounding animal.

My only record book size animal is a goat, and mine looks like a dink compared to this one. FWIW an average goat looks like a white shaggy animal with black spike horns and a record book goat looks like a white shaggy animal with black spike horns.  As said, tiny differences in length and mass make a huge difference in relative score.  So 3" is a huge difference.

I didn't even know I had a record book animal till six weeks after I killed it and was telling an experienced goat hunter about it.  He told me that if my measurements were right it was a record book goat.  Duh. 

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2023, 02:27:46 PM »
That goat looks like one of his ancestors had a fling with an antelope. Crazy cool! Must have been quite the scene when they glasses him up.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal