collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing the jetties  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Parasite

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Re: Fishing the jetties
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 10:58:39 PM »
I've caught several ling cod from the south jetty using 1-2oz jigheads with pearl or olive 5" swimbaits. Cast, fall, drag along the bottom. The north jetty is dangerous by foot and better with a boat.

I've also caught black rockfish from the south jetty via boat. A boat is much easier so you can cover more ground, cast easier, use your electronics, and is safer.

I wanted to go on the opener this year but the weather was not the best so I stayed home. I would like to try a swimbait with a weedless hook, size 0 spin-n-glo, and a 1oz weight about 2 foot above the bait. Basically, trying to keep the lure slightly off the bottom to avoid all the snags in the area.

A steelhead or salmon rod will be fine. I usually use a 8' 12-20# rated rod. But I spool up with 50# braid main and 40-50# floro leader. Mostly due to the abrasion resistance and if I get snagged, I can usually pull it free. Several of my snags have actually just been hooking starfish and they hold on to the rocks surprisingly well.

Offline plugger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Fishing the jetties
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 05:22:41 AM »
definitely want to fish the slack tides. I have been going the last three years and done very well mainly on bass. Limited the days i fished last year. I only use a 3/8 ounce blade baits. The bass are always suspended so if you are catching lings, you are to deep. The fish generally bite within 20 foot of the rocks. Cast the blade out and real it in, no jigging needed although i will jig it back on the bottom occasionally and have caught a few lings doing that when the bass shut off.  The bite last about 30 minuets so be prepared so you are not wasting any time stringing or storing you fish. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal