collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon Statewide Elk Raffle Tag  (Read 7126 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Oregon Statewide Elk Raffle Tag
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »
Walla Walla Unit would be high on my list. Friend of the family had a rifle tag in there a few years ago that my dad helped with. They saw multiple 350" and bigger bulls. He ended up killing one in the low 360's on accident while putting the stalk on a bigger one. Couple hour stalk, crested the hill, saw a smoker bull where he had last seen the one he was after, dumped him and then the bigger bull he actually was after trotted off.  :yike: Old man watched it all through the spotter and was helpless.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2023, 06:15:02 PM »
I know an incredible guide that I may consider.  He could certainly put me on a big one, but probably not until later in the year.  I can't sit at home during the rut.  I will go scout the wenaha in a few weeks. 

Don’t over look the Wenaha unit. Try to find a horse packer and do some weekend scout trips. Someone above mentioned hiring a guide. This is a tag of a life time might as well make the most out of it. You truly have a opportunity to kill a 400 inch bull. Wish you luck and congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2023, 06:27:53 PM »
Congrats.

I would take a hard look at the wenaha and walla walla. Mt Emily is the most huntable of the big three. But is on a downward trend for quality. The wenaha has the most cover for a bull to get a bit older.

The 17 or 18 day rifle season that they changed to a while back has been real hard on trophy quality in those units.

If you have not been in those units they are big deep canyons, and you will need a buddy or two help glass, and to be in great physical condition.
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline cjensen

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2023, 08:24:28 AM »
Congrats.

I would take a hard look at the wenaha and walla walla. Mt Emily is the most huntable of the big three. But is on a downward trend for quality. The wenaha has the most cover for a bull to get a bit older.

The 17 or 18 day rifle season that they changed to a while back has been real hard on trophy quality in those units.

If you have not been in those units they are big deep canyons, and you will need a buddy or two help glass, and to be in great physical condition.

Thanks for the pointer!   I think I'll start my scouting in the Wenaha.   I've gone on the fat kid diet, and hoping to stave off a heart attack by August/September when I have to dive off the top.    I have never been to any of the "big 3" units -- embarrassing I know!   I have hunted some nasty country in Oregon and WA, so I at least have an idea that I'm going to be hosed if I dont get in shape.   

Perhaps someone could help me with some general knowledge.   I've done a lot of elk hunting in WA, OR, and NM, but never in country like this.  Are the cows really going to be hanging out in these nasty canyons during August/September?  Grassy slopes and thick timbered bottoms that come nearly to a point in some spots.   Seems like a place where the bulls might go for cover before/after the rut, but wouldn't the cows would stay on some of the "flatter" easier areas??  I'd like to go into some of the nasty remote areas to stay away from people, but wondering if more elk will be in the flatter areas where there are roads and lots of camps/spike hunters.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2023, 08:28:28 AM »
Congrats.

Thanks for the pointer!   I think I'll start my scouting in the Wenaha.   I've gone on the fat kid diet, and hoping to stave off a heart attack by August/September when I have to dive off the top.    I have never been to any of the "big 3" units -- embarrassing I know!   I have hunted some nasty country in Oregon and WA, so I at least have an idea that I'm going to be hosed if I dont get in shape.   

Perhaps someone could help me with some general knowledge.   I've done a lot of elk hunting in WA, OR, and NM, but never in country like this.  Are the cows really going to be hanging out in these nasty canyons during August/September?  Grassy slopes and thick timbered bottoms that come nearly to a point in some spots.   Seems like a place where the bulls might go for cover before/after the rut, but wouldn't the cows would stay on some of the "flatter" easier areas??  I'd like to go into some of the nasty remote areas to stay away from people, but wondering if more elk will be in the flatter areas where there are roads and lots of camps/spike hunters.

I can say from firsthand experience hunting different units in NE Oregon in September. I have seen cows hanging out and feeding in areas that look more conducive to where that goat you killed would be. They do want to find areas of less than 20 degrees of slope for bedding but when they are up moving, I haven't seen many areas besides sheer cliffs that cows won't hang out.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
Tagging along to see how this turns out... :peep:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline cjensen

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2023, 08:56:08 AM »
Congrats.

I can say from firsthand experience hunting different units in NE Oregon in September. I have seen cows hanging out and feeding in areas that look more conducive to where that goat you killed would be. They do want to find areas of less than 20 degrees of slope for bedding but when they are up moving, I haven't seen many areas besides sheer cliffs that cows won't hang out.

Thanks for the info!   Very strange.

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2023, 01:01:29 PM »
In September they will be mostly in the wet timbered draws. You may catch bulls moving between timber patches. I don't think that further away from the road really means much in these units. From year to year they may be higher or lower in the canyon, which I feel is mostly based on moisture. The elk are very vocal in those units, talk to other hunters you see in archery if they have a spike tag I think many would tell you where they seen a big bull. If they have a branch bull tag they likely will be tight lipped, I truly feel this will be your best chance of finding a trophy, especially in the Wenaha.

In mid October some times a bit earlier, the big bulls pull off of the herd and head towards their winter grounds. Which is generally the north or northwest slopes in the big canyons. They will hang up in the timber for a while. Then as weather gets colder they will start showing up on open faces or in little pockets in the timber that can be glassed if you find the right angle. In late October and November big bulls will find an area that has food water and cover. This area is often less than a 300 yard circle. They will often feed in the open for several hours in the morning and return to the same spot late afternoon. You can use this to your advantage.

If I had the tag, I would make sure I was tagged out before opening day of rifle. As there will be a lot of pressure, some will be successful, and the big bulls that make it will get bumped and be very hard to relocate.

The photo is of a bull I took with a rifle in the big three before the quality went down.
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2023, 02:39:23 PM »
   Are the cows really going to be hanging out in these nasty canyons during August/September? 

Yes and no. I've spent time in the WA Wenaha unit and hunted the neighboring units, which have very similar terrain, several years. IME, the cows and bulls were in the deepest, steepest canyons and out on the flats (so long as they were not pushed).

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2023, 08:13:06 AM »
Best of Luck!  Enjoy it all  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2023, 06:07:28 AM »
If you aren’t good at field judging I’d start brushing up on that now. You have a tag with the potential to kill a world class bull. Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

Offline cjensen

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2023, 07:11:07 AM »
If you aren’t good at field judging I’d start brushing up on that now. You have a tag with the potential to kill a world class bull. Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

No kidding.  I've killed 5 bulls with my bow.  Each bull seemed like a world record until I got up to it with major ground shrinkage.  I always have a split second to make a choice at close range with a bow.  I hope to be a ways away glassing and having some time to judge.  A guy here advised me to have a friend hold my ammo.   :chuckle:  thanks again everyone for the help.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Oregon Statewide Elk Raffle Tag
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2023, 07:39:40 AM »
Going from archery hunting to rifle elk hunt good optics and tripod are a must. Find a way to digiscope so you can pick these bull apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline cjensen

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2023, 02:24:36 PM »
Does this work?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 08:54:35 AM by bobcat »

Offline cjensen

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2023, 02:27:44 PM »
I finally got the picture to post.   :bash:

I filled the tag in the Wenaha unit this past weekend.   A DIY hunt with my family.   Not at all the bull I had envisioned shooting, but I couldn't pass up on this unique bull.   I had planned several more weeks of hunting in the peak of the rut and October, but again couldnt pass up on this.  Also, this was the only week my dad and brother-in-law could be there.   The tag was a great experience.  We saw more than 20 bulls in the 4 days I hunted, including at least one monstrous bull that I couldnt find again.   Thanks to everyone who helped with advice and specific pointers! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal