collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Treestands for archery Elk  (Read 1852 times)

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Treestands for archery Elk
« on: June 01, 2023, 08:52:11 AM »
How many of you have used treestands for archery elk?   Were you successful and what was your technique in using it?  Thinking of trying it for the early season this year.  Timbered area,  above a creek,  some salt block,  and lots of hope!

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Treestands for archery Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 09:14:27 AM »
I have used them. Particularly in the early season when the ground is dry and crunchy and hard to move on. I like to set up near water or in a bottleneck travel corridor. Anywhere that increases the likelihood that animals will travel past. Granted the elk seem to like to pass my stand on the days when I am not in it! I have not gotten an elk from my stand but my buddy took a shot and missed on a day when I was at work. It takes patience to just sit there versus going after them but it also can be peaceful and relaxing too! I intend to redeploy my stand for this fall.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 09:30:03 AM »
They have worked well for me on the west side. Shot a bull last year at 12 yards. Called him and he’s cows in from about 300 yards. Took about 1.5 hours. And have taken other bulls the same way. Just get in before sun up and 2 hours before sunset and it’s been working for me!

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 10:59:02 AM »
I've killed two 6 point bulls from a treestand sitting near an active community wallow. They mosey in and aren't all jacked up on adrenaline, die quickly.  Makes a world of difference in the quality of the meat.

"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:09:45 AM »
I've killed 5 elk over the same wallow.

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 11:18:21 AM »
The wallow I usually sit on.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 02:08:28 PM »
Used one successfully in the same spot on a saddle between bedding and feeding area. About 5 different trails converged there. East side unit. Used a camera and salt during the run up to the season to gauge the amount of traffic. Some years were heavy used and others not so much. The unit with the food has grown in and not enough opportunity with spike only season to justify the sit time

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 04:42:02 PM »
man its a dream of mine to kill an elk out of a tree stand. as far as i know youll set your tree stand up over wallows, water, or crossings.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 08:47:21 PM »
ive killed 4 elk out of tree stands. find a good area where a few trails cross each other. salt the area every spring as soon as you can get to it.  most of my spots have multiple generations of elk visiting.  The cows bring their calves and then they bring their calves etc. set up a trail camera so you know how much actvity there is.  it usually takes testing about 5 different spots to find a good one, so find as many spots as you can.  A lot of good spots will suck during the season if someone camps nearby.  Also some spots that dont have much activity before the season can get good once season starts if the elk get pressured into that area. its a very successful method.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 10:34:42 PM »
done it a little bit over the years. I have yet to kill one, but should have a couple of times. Once was late archery elk and deer season and whole herd walked under me and no tag :chuckle: I had 2 5 pt bulls walking at me at 52 yards and go behind a tree they turned and walked up and then across at 109. I got out of my stand and had a 4 pt bull coming to a wallow. I had a big 6 at 90 yards hang up coming to a wallow and never offered a shot

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 11:04:15 PM »
I've killed two 6 point bulls from a treestand sitting near an active community wallow. They mosey in and aren't all jacked up on adrenaline, die quickly.  Makes a world of difference in the quality of the meat.

Does it really count if you shoot it with a recurve?    ;)

(I am impressed beyond words......   really)
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 05:29:21 AM »
Out of state?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 05:40:54 AM »
This would be in western Washington.   Area is getting too much other hunter competition so looking to hit the thicker areas where the elk are calmer.   Problem is I don't think there are a much elk in these timbered valleys,  but there are some.   

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 06:07:35 PM »

[/quote]

Does it really count if you shoot it with a recurve?    ;)

(I am impressed beyond words......   really)
[/quote]

I'm not smart enough to figure out a mechanical bow.  :chuckle:

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 06:16:28 AM »
ive killed 4 elk out of tree stands. find a good area where a few trails cross each other. salt the area every spring as soon as you can get to it.  most of my spots have multiple generations of elk visiting.  The cows bring their calves and then they bring their calves etc. set up a trail camera so you know how much actvity there is.  it usually takes testing about 5 different spots to find a good one, so find as many spots as you can.  A lot of good spots will suck during the season if someone camps nearby.  Also some spots that dont have much activity before the season can get good once season starts if the elk get pressured into that area. its a very successful method.

This has ruined some great spots for me. I sure miss when archery was less popular.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal