collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: MT unlimited sheep  (Read 13890 times)

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
MT unlimited sheep
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:18:26 AM »
 :dunno:...thinking about it for next year.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: MT unlimited sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
You should try it this year without the tag and see how plausible it is. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
It's an extreme hunt.  The sheep are remote, the country is rugged, and the hunting stops when the quota is filled.  You need to check daily to see if the quota has been met.

I read the following from an old Sports Afield article:

In the 1980s, before there were any limited-draw sheep-- hunting areas in Montana, there were often 100 to 120 licenses sold in each of the unlimited areas. Today, the number of permits sold may vary from only one or two in one area to forty to sixty in another. Because only about 60 percent of people who purchase a tag actually hunt, and many who do hunt go home after the first day, these areas are not subject to a great deal of pressure. Depending on how successful the hunters have been, sometimes the unit's quota will be reached within ten days or two weeks; other times it is never reached at all.
Because the regulations limit the harvest to rams of three-quarter-curl or better, hunters can't over-harvest sheep. The harvest controls itself through the number of mature rams available-and, of course, through the quota system. Most rams reach three-quarter-- curl at five and a half or six and a half years old, and start to broom at six and a half. They will typically reach the end of their lives at eight and a half to ten years. The oldest ram I ever saw shot was eleven and a half years old.
It may take an unguided person five to seven years to kill a sheep in one of the unlimited areas. A hunter must do his homework and learn the country, which is why I believe this to be the world's ultimate sheep hunt. Someone who takes a ram in the unlimited area belongs to an elite club.
Hunting in the unlimited areas typically means driving to one of the many trailheads, shouldering your backpack, and hiking into the high country. This is wilderness country where no motor vehicles are allowed, and most of it is inaccessible to horses.
Most people underestimate the rugged nature of the mountains in the unlimited areas. Nowhere have I hunted more challenging terrain: In addition to the steep slopes and high altitude, hunters must contend with endless boulder fields and glaciers.
Sheep have great eyes. If they see a hunter coming, they will leave the area, and may continue to travel for five or six hours. It's important to take sheep seriously-use cover when moving and stay off the skyline. Remember, too, that sound carries well in the high country.
Within forty-eight hours of a kill, a hunter must report to FWP that he has taken a sheep. After that, he has ten days to get a possession permit. Inspectors will check the meat carefully to make sure the hunter has brought all of it out. The typical sheep yields fifty-five pounds of boned-out meat, and the head might weigh forty-five pounds. When a hunter is ten to twenty miles from his vehicle, there is often a temptation to leave some of the meat behind. Don't! It's a violation of the game law.
The law also requires that the hunter be able to physically return to the kill site if asked to do so. The best way to avoid having to do this is to take a lot of pictures at the kill site. Photograph the location, the boned-out carcass, and even the packs to avoid questions later.
Jack Atcheson Jr. has hunted Montana's unlimited areas since the age of nine and spent twenty-seven years as a guide and outfitter in the area. He is a partner in Jack Atcheson 6 Sons International Hunting Consultants, 406/782-2382; atcheson.com.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:50:14 AM »
pretty serious stuff.

Has anyone actually done it? Every year we talk about it and there are always a few that are thinking about it but we never hear about it again :dunno:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:57:05 AM by WDFW-SUX »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »
It's it in the Bob? Definately a horseback hunt I would think.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
I like the idea, but I am not in good enough shape to do it.

Offline starbailey

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
I would like to try it some day just to see if it really is a tough as they say it is. I love a good challenge.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
Don't put it off too many years. Contact Mt Fish Wildlife and Parks and see what they have to say.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »
Check with Mike Lovely.  He guides in that area and knows it as well as anyone.
http://www.rboutfitters.com/hunt/sheep.php
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
already have......the clock is ticking no doubt about it.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
It's an extreme hunt.  The sheep are remote, the country is rugged, and the hunting stops when the quota is filled.  You need to check daily to see if the quota has been met.

I read the following from an old Sports Afield article:

In the 1980s, before there were any limited-draw sheep-- hunting areas in Montana, there were often 100 to 120 licenses sold in each of the unlimited areas. Today, the number of permits sold may vary from only one or two in one area to forty to sixty in another. Because only about 60 percent of people who purchase a tag actually hunt, and many who do hunt go home after the first day, these areas are not subject to a great deal of pressure. Depending on how successful the hunters have been, sometimes the unit's quota will be reached within ten days or two weeks; other times it is never reached at all.
Because the regulations limit the harvest to rams of three-quarter-curl or better, hunters can't over-harvest sheep. The harvest controls itself through the number of mature rams available-and, of course, through the quota system. Most rams reach three-quarter-- curl at five and a half or six and a half years old, and start to broom at six and a half. They will typically reach the end of their lives at eight and a half to ten years. The oldest ram I ever saw shot was eleven and a half years old.
It may take an unguided person five to seven years to kill a sheep in one of the unlimited areas. A hunter must do his homework and learn the country, which is why I believe this to be the world's ultimate sheep hunt. Someone who takes a ram in the unlimited area belongs to an elite club.
Hunting in the unlimited areas typically means driving to one of the many trailheads, shouldering your backpack, and hiking into the high country. This is wilderness country where no motor vehicles are allowed, and most of it is inaccessible to horses.
Most people underestimate the rugged nature of the mountains in the unlimited areas. Nowhere have I hunted more challenging terrain: In addition to the steep slopes and high altitude, hunters must contend with endless boulder fields and glaciers.
Sheep have great eyes. If they see a hunter coming, they will leave the area, and may continue to travel for five or six hours. It's important to take sheep seriously-use cover when moving and stay off the skyline. Remember, too, that sound carries well in the high country.
Within forty-eight hours of a kill, a hunter must report to FWP that he has taken a sheep. After that, he has ten days to get a possession permit. Inspectors will check the meat carefully to make sure the hunter has brought all of it out. The typical sheep yields fifty-five pounds of boned-out meat, and the head might weigh forty-five pounds. When a hunter is ten to twenty miles from his vehicle, there is often a temptation to leave some of the meat behind. Don't! It's a violation of the game law.
The law also requires that the hunter be able to physically return to the kill site if asked to do so. The best way to avoid having to do this is to take a lot of pictures at the kill site. Photograph the location, the boned-out carcass, and even the packs to avoid questions later.
Jack Atcheson Jr. has hunted Montana's unlimited areas since the age of nine and spent twenty-seven years as a guide and outfitter in the area. He is a partner in Jack Atcheson 6 Sons International Hunting Consultants, 406/782-2382; atcheson.com.

Thats an interesting article, falls right in line with what I've heard about the hunt.
Probably a tough one.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
In spite of it being a tough hunt there are some good sheep. My taxidermist had a B&C sheep to mount several years ago from one of those units.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 09:44:47 AM »
I might just have to challenge this one myself.  Don't particularly want to burn my sheep points and that currently is what is holding me back.  On the other hand, I might never draw a sheep tag in my lifetime and I'm not getting any younger.  I love an endurance challenge and I certainly like a HUNT.

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 09:49:07 AM »
Dont forget about the bears in this area, have to add that to the list of things to contend with..
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
I'm not positive, but I don't think it burns your points, you should double check and see.

don't forget about wolves either if you are planning to use horses.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]