collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd Annual Hunt-WA Horn Entries  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
2nd Annual Hunt-WA Horn Entries
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:41:41 PM »
Post your entries to the horn portion of the contest here. Put entries only here, no comments please.

RULES:
1) All deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat, cougar, and legal bear species qualify.
2) The animal must be legally harvested in Washington State during the contest year.
3) The hunter must have a current WDFW hunting license and the tag used on the animal must have been purchased from the WDFW.
4) The hunter must submit an approved story of the hunt, picture of the animal/horns, and claimed score on hunting-washington.com
5) The official B & C or P & Y scoring rules will be used.
6) The score that compares highest in percentage to the state record for that species, horn type (typical vs non-typical) and weapon wins. For example, a modern firearm typical mule deer will be compared to the state record modern firearm typical mule deer and an archery non-typical whitetail will be compared to the record archery non-typical whitetail. Similar for bear and cougar skulls. There will be three different weapon categories; modern firearm, muzzleloader, and archery. Washington Big Game Records will be used as the state records.
7) Prizes: Perpetual (or traveling) trophies will be awarded to the winners in the following two categories: Horns (deer, elk, moose, goat, & sheep) and predator (bear & cougar). Trophies will be retrieved by one of the rules committee members approximately one week from the next years entry deadline for each category, this will be around Christmas for the horn trophy and the first week of March for the predator trophy. Hopefully we can get a few gifts of nominal value donated by some of our sponsors this year.
 The hunter must be a hunting-washington.com member by Sept. 1 of the contest year for the horn competition. Hunters entering bear or cougar must be members prior to the season which it was harvested.
9) The rules committee has the right to challenge any and all claimed scores. If there is no clear winner, the top entries will be required to get an official score.
10) In the event that a rules committee member is in running for an award, that member will not be involved in declaring the winner.
11) Seasons will follow the WDFW hunting seasons, Sept 1 to Dec 31 (2009) for the horns competition and spring bear through end of Cat season in March 2010 for the head competition.
12) ) An entry must include a photo of the animal, claimed score, general location of the kill, and weapon used. If either a Blacktail Deer or Roosevelt Elk are being entered, the location must be specific enough to distinguish what species/sub species of Deer or Elk it is.

If you have any questions, please contact any of the following rules committee members, Popeshawnpaul, Slider, boneaddict, and Wea300mag

1st PLACE TROPHY

Now that we have so many members and the competition is getting tougher, there will be prizes for the 2nd and 3rd place entries in each category (head and horns). Second place will get a t-shirt of your size and color from this link:

http://www.cafepress.com/HuntingWA.325506341

Third place will get a mug from this link:

http://www.cafepress.com/HuntingWA/6333180
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:39:30 PM by Wea300mag »
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline Track-er

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 2nd Annual Hunt-WA Horn Entries
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
Yesterday 10-30-2009 my friend Keith aka skyvalhunter and I went hunting and he was sucessful in harvesting a three point blackie.Today 10-31-2009 he went with me to see if I could close out the season with the same outcome.little did I know he would be taking me to one of his secret spots.I never thought I would ever see a blacktail of the size of the one that I was able to harvest.I think I told him 100 times thank you and its great to have great friends like Keith.I had this deer rough scored around 158 plus.

Here is the link to the entire trophy hunt thread. http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,37253.0.html

Thank You,Mike
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:47:56 PM by Wea300mag »
"I know who you are; you're the same dumb pilgrim I've been hearin' for twenty days and smellin' for three!"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
It doesn't hold a candle to some of the other fine trophies taken this year, but here is my entry.  It was taken with my longbow. I haven't even stretched a tape yet which is uncharacteristic of my but will have it officially scored when the time is right. The entire story is at this link.
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,33132.0.html

Offline Thenewguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »
We started hunting Tuesday and did not see alot of deer until we got a little higher up. Few bucks but nothing big. Most of you know I blewa stalk on a 170 class deer with fading light. We decided to sleep in our cars and headed back up the next day. We started hunting before light and say alot of deer but no shooters. Some interesting deer; a REALLY tall 3 point with his third point being crabby, a giant 2 point with his right antler broken off. Alot of spikes and a few smaller 3 and 4 points. around 2:30 we decided to relocate and were coming down the hill. At the last draw prior to exiting we spotted a few does. After watching them for awhile we notived a nice 4 point buck. After watching him for awhile Rob noticed he was limping. That did it, I got out of the car and decided to shoot him. Shot was around 300 yards up a ravine. I set up the 30.06 shooting 180 gr federal on shooting sticks and took my time setting up. I waited a few minutes watching him in my scope and I noticed something below him. Rob asked why I hadn't shot and I told him I saw a bigger one. He found it in his binos and I asked which one I should shoot. His instant response was "shoot the big one"! I crept a little closer in, set up the shot and fired. I connected breaking his from leg and puncturing his lung. He took off up over the ravine. Climbing the ravine was a pain, about a foot of snow and a terrible incline. We followed the blood trail over the top and found him piled up. Rob took care of the pictures (around 100 of them) and I field dressed my first deer. The locals had called the WDFW so the Warden was waiting for us at the bottom of the hill. Nice guy, he gave me a ride back to my car  . He said the biologist wanted to see the deer so we dropped by on our way out of town.

I think I heard 183 was his scoring. I will confirm this and edit my post. The rest of the story is available here. http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,40697.0.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:33:36 PM by Wea300mag »

Offline fishcrazy

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
I might as well drop mine in.

Shot this bull on the 4th day of my ML season. I drew a mudflow ML tag and spent all summer scouting. I picked out this bull and was able to get before and after pics of him.

We call him "trips" because of his tops.

field scored at about 256 and change.  I will be getting it scored at the Puyallup show.
Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
Congrats to Track-er for winning the 2nd Annual Hunt-WA Horn Competition with 94.7% of the current state record. Thenewguy was second with 83.7%. Fishcrazy gets third.

I will get the trophy engraved and delivered in the next couple weeks.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »
Congrats Tracker
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:42:48 PM »
congrats guys
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
Well done tracker.   Thats Awesome!

Offline Track-er

• Site Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »
Thank You.

Mike
"I know who you are; you're the same dumb pilgrim I've been hearin' for twenty days and smellin' for three!"

Offline Thenewguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 05:30:14 AM »
Wow nice job, 95 percent of a record is impressive!

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
To bring this to a close, here is a picture of Track-er (Mike) and his two trophies.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
That trophy's bad a$$. Congrats man.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »
Thinking I can take it with my California Sheep with traditional archery tackle....this year. :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal