collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who drew Goose Prairie for archery elk?  (Read 19900 times)

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Who drew Goose Prairie for archery elk?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »
That would depend on what type of hunt you want to experiance. Back counrty or road side  :dunno:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline bowhuntersd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »
That would depend on what type of hunt you want to experiance. Back counrty or road side  :dunno:

I would rather go for back country hunt, I'm not sure of the amount of hunting pressure the area gets but I will go as far as I have to minimize the amount of people.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »
Man you don't know how lucky you are!  The unit is spike-only for OTC this year thanks to our wonderful game department.  You should have much less hunters than in years past.   :bash:
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bowhuntersd

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
Man you don't know how lucky you are!  The unit is spike-only for OTC this year thanks to our wonderful game department.  You should have much less hunters than in years past.   :bash:

Hey Thanks Dreaming, I feel lucky to have this oppertunity, it is a once in a life time tag. I did some research prior to putting in and this hunt was by far the best one. I sent you a PM and would love to pick your brain. Thanks Shane.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
I drew for rifle bull tag for that unit.  I am headed over for the weekend with horses in 2 weeks to do some scouting.  I let you know what I see.

Offline atfulldraw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »
A group of five of us drew with an average of 4 points

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
My group drew that tag last year... should be much better now that it will be OTC spike only.  Way less hunters!   WE went 7.5 miles in and camped..... still saw too many people but a bunch of elk!  Buddy killed a nice 6x6 that scored 317.. its posted on here.  the third post here http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,48553.0.html    Saw a monster in there 7x7 that would easily go 370+... lots of bulls but not a gimmee,  you will put in the work for it. 
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline flinger

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »
last year was my last year there after 20+ bowhunting there unless something changes :dunno:
lots of potential to get a really good bull
camp Lindsay is a good area to make a base camp not real critical to get (AWAY) from every body else by the 2 or 3rd day after opening the elk are pretty well scattered through the whole area any place that looks like a good hike off the 1600 rd the 1706 or9roads can play out well, without hiking into the wilderness it is real hard to get too far away from a road.if your interested i can give a little more detail on some pretty decent spots

this was 1/2 mile from the 1709 and 1600 road intersection         http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=50304.0;attach=103303
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:55:10 PM by flinger »
SEE YA IN THE FIELDS
        FLINGER

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 07:20:39 AM »
PM sent.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Matt

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »

Everyone bitches about the spike only thing.  How about the fact that this unit needs a break.  All summer long sheep herders dogs are chasin elk all over the place, then from sept-dec it's a war zone.  db I'm not singling you out but over the last 10 years this herd has gone down hill dramatically.  I used to see 40-50 elk a day in early season and well over a 100 a day during late season.  The past few years you can go a week without seeing an elk.

There are plenty of places in these 2 units to get big bulls.  And if spike only reduces the amount of hunters in there then it should become a premier bull tag opportunity.  The amount of road access makes it easy to scout and find a decent spot.  Drop over windy ridge to the bottom of rattle snake or west of timberwolf and I assure you you will find bulls.  You will just have a hump to get them out.
USN Ret. Chief
Bow Only

Offline Quackwhacker

• Life is real good!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »

Everyone bitches about the spike only thing.  How about the fact that this unit needs a break.  All summer long sheep herders dogs are chasin elk all over the place, then from sept-dec it's a war zone.  db I'm not singling you out but over the last 10 years this herd has gone down hill dramatically.  I used to see 40-50 elk a day in early season and well over a 100 a day during late season.  The past few years you can go a week without seeing an elk.

There are plenty of places in these 2 units to get big bulls.  And if spike only reduces the amount of hunters in there then it should become a premier bull tag opportunity.  The amount of road access makes it easy to scout and find a decent spot.  Drop over windy ridge to the bottom of rattle snake or west of timberwolf and I assure you you will find bulls.  You will just have a hump to get them out.
I beg to differ with you Matt.  I have hunted it for the past 8 years and have noticed an increase in elk.  I see elk every day in the early season.  If I didnt get drawn for the Peaches tag I would be in there.  I love hunting the Bumping and will be back next year.  The Bumping tag holders are very lucky.  Good luck to those who drew the tag.

Offline Matt

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »
Maybe they just moved over to your area.  ;)
USN Ret. Chief
Bow Only

Offline Quackwhacker

• Life is real good!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »
Im not that lucky!

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »
I have to agee with Matt, over the years hunting the area i have seen less and less elk, even with the sheep herder in there.

Last year i spend every weekend scouting the area i normally hunt seen maybe a hand full of elk, nothing at all like i used to see in my scouting trips. Then i only seen 4 elk the entire early season.

:bash:

I would not put in for the unit for big bull tag, but then again i am not a wilderness hunter. I do hike, but dont hunt the back country.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Matt

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »
I would definately put in for a bull tag in this unit.  Give it a couple years of spike only and I think that it may come back.  Especially since most smart archers will go across the street and hunt the LN.  That will bounce a few back over into Bumping.  The honey holes will definately get sweeter.

I still think that they should limit the amount of OTC tags for the units.  Set a quota and when it's hit no more tags.  These units that have a ton of road access are hammered way too hard.  Heck it's almost as hard to find a spot to camp as it is to shoot an elk.
USN Ret. Chief
Bow Only

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]