collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Klickitat archery deer. Any advise or knowledge on this unit ?  (Read 7345 times)

Offline 520backyard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
So I drew the archery quality deer permit and the hunt dates are from Nov 24-30.
I did go have a look and do a bit of scouting last weekend down there. Seems like a pretty nice area and did see a few bucks and about 20 does.
Anyone got any advise or experience hunting that unit? Anyone hunt the conboy lake part of that unit?
Swim hell, the fall will kill ya.

Offline hoyt5199

• Scout
Re: West Klickitat archery deer. Any advise or knowledge on this unit ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »
Wish I had some advise to give. I to also drew a tag there. I plan on hunting the whole time. Probably will see you there

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
lots of cats. they are killing off the deer herd, talk to the local game bio i think his name is bolten. nice bucks to be found but the cats have taken there toll.   good luck to all. j

Offline 520backyard

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »
Wish I had some advise to give. I to also drew a tag there. I plan on hunting the whole time. Probably will see you there
So is your tag archery also? Looks to be a good area for bow hunting.
Yeah I will also spend the whole week up there hunting.

Offline rackattack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
I find it interesting that they have a "quality" buck archery tag during the same season as late elk muzzy.

Offline hoyt5199

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Yup! I am bowhunting there

Offline 520backyard

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
I find it interesting that they have a "quality" buck archery tag during the same season as late elk muzzy.
No kidding
And they let moderns special permit deer hunters in  Nov 17-23, the week before archery as well.

I wonder is there a thought process going on in the WDFW in regards to the way they did this. If so I would be interested in their rational for the scheduling.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:09:51 PM by 520backyard »

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
the answer is NO. they don,t think. the late buck tag is a bad mistake and they will not admit it. they blame it on over harvest of muzzy hunting.  it is all do to cats, cats, and the late rifle tag. come on start out small on the tags and work the numbers up from there. it is all about money and will always be. i know the area well and i have seen the changes this unit sucks compared to 10 yrs ago. prior to the cats and the poaching. MEANING THAT PRIOR TO THE LATE BUCK TAG. the only shot you would heare oct 31 until muzzy season would be elk hunters and that is not many near whitesalmon. now they have less enforcement and 40 tags a year. any shot in the late buck season is considered to be a tag holder, i can tell you that is not true they are poaching the heck out of that unit.  i can ramble on  about this unit but this state wdfw can kiss my ASS. sorry to all but i will help if i can . good luck j  :bash:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »
lots of cats. they are killing off the deer herd, talk to the local game bio i think his name is bolten. nice bucks to be found but the cats have taken there toll.   good luck to all. j

our local game warden is dan bolten. he lives in the same town as me goldendale. there is some very nice deer that call that area home alot of the stuff around conboy is private ground there is some guys over there that i know that hunt on a lot of the private ground and do pretty good with elk and deer. but if you get out and putt foot to dirt or more like snow "dress warm" you should do well with a nice deer. i have not spent a lot of time in that country but i did muzzleload elk over there one year for elk and know about 10 guys that hunt that area as well. good luck to you with your tag.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline 520backyard

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »

our local game warden is dan bolten. he lives in the same town as me goldendale. there is some very nice deer that call that area home alot of the stuff around conboy is private ground there is some guys over there that i know that hunt on a lot of the private ground and do pretty good with elk and deer. but if you get out and putt foot to dirt or more like snow "dress warm" you should do well with a nice deer. i have not spent a lot of time in that country but i did muzzleload elk over there one year for elk and know about 10 guys that hunt that area as well. good luck to you with your tag.
Any idea why wdfw scheduled the seasons the way they did and overlapped them like they did?
Thanks and getting my boots muddy is the only way I know how to hunt.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:43:50 PM by 520backyard »

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
here is an idea. THEY SUCK JUST ASK BOLTEN. my buddy saw him last week and he knows that wdfw sucks, they work for the same agency. cougars. ask him about them.

Offline 520backyard

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »
We all know that WDFW is clueless in a lot of ways. As for the cats yeah I know pretty much that way everwhere more or less.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
to tell you the truth i have no idea what the hell they are doing and yes wdfw does suck. we have delt with bolten a lot with all the trespassers we get during the many hunting seasons. he is one of the few guys that know crap is screwed up and would like to see it changed. he lives a few houses down from a piece of ground we farm for one of my dads friends. cats are bad in all the klick unit east and west and the reason the numbers are very low and the lice were bad as well.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline engelwood

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:58 AM »
Good luck in the West Klick after archery season, let alone muzzy season. During early archery we will see some good deer, but after muzzy season it is like finding a needle in the haystack sometimes, and yes, the numbers have fallen off drastically over the past 5 years, due to cats or whatever. They also switched this area to a 3-pt. minimum last year I believe, so there may be more nice bucks. Best advise I could say is get as far as humanly possible away from all roads cuz there are a ton of locals who burn tons of $$$$$ on gas and no time in the woods. Good luck with your tags boys.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]