collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 257 Weatherby Mag to small for Bear  (Read 14521 times)

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
Re: 257 Weatherby Mag to small for Bear
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
adequate for elk , little light for bear?.. if a black bear is a f-150 4x4, than a big bull elk is like a wells fargo armored truck.   elk are way tougher, with bigger stronger bones. elk are more tenacious to life than most anything on this continent.  i just believe that elk are too valuable to chance anything that would hinder the action of the harvest. you wouldnt use a tack hammer to frame a house. you could do it, but its not as good.
 i know elk can be killed with other things and ive killed elk with my 30-06 with 165fs's, but i noticed that with the 338 vs 30-06, all things being =(good placement, rresonable range),
that the 338 resulted in more one shot kills,,bulls and a cow traveling shorter distances from where shot.. like jack atcheson jr says  the 338   it just numbs them.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
While alot of elk have been killed with a 22 magnum, does it make it a elk caliber? Methinks not. The elk I've killed and seen killed with a 243 were taken under "optimum" conditions, if there is a such thing? Do you need a 338 to kill elk? Don't recall that quote, but I were a SERIOUS elk or bear hunter, which I am niether, I would pack a 340 Weatherby, stoked with 225 Noslers or Hornady's. That is my opinion, can you kill elk and bear with a 257? Hell yes, Roy Weatherby killed the big 5 with a 257, does that make it a safari gun? I think most PH's would laugh you outta camp if a guy showed up with a 257 to persue the "Big 5".  So yes, bear hunter, a 257 Roy will kill anything that walks, is the perfect elk and bear caliber? No, I THINK a 338 or 340 is much better suited to these critters.Once again, in my opinion...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »
adequate for elk , little light for bear?.. if a black bear is a f-150 4x4, than a big bull elk is like a wells fargo armored truck.   elk are way tougher, with bigger stronger bones. elk are more tenacious to life than most anything on this continent.

The fur and fat on a bear will have more effect on your bullet, then the hair and fat on an elk.  I never recommend shooting through a massive bone like the shoulder.  Even a large bullet can deflect drastically.  We are talking about a fast and light projectile in this scenario.  The fur and fat on a bear will slow down the penetration of this bullet, more so than it would through the hair and skin of an elk. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]