collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Jumped by a cougar?  (Read 7241 times)

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
Re: Jumped by a cougar?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
Twice I had a coyote sneak up on my decoys while I was calling turkeys.  I bet cougars and coyotes check on us more often than we know. 
Diane
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 05:46:17 AM »
Back in the 80's had a good friend call in a cougar above Chewelah, and another friend called one in out of Hunters. Funny thing about the one out of hunters, he was guiding a guy from California. The guy from  California was so scared of cougars because he killed one that spring turkeys hunting, it jumped right in on him, the only reason he killed it before it got him was his shotgun was pointing at the cougar. It died in his lap. Anyway my buddy said this guy would only sit w/a tree to his back. They set up on an old logging road working a tom. The tom shut up, and down the road comes a cougar after the decoy. My buddy was a hound hunter at that time and said watch this, he jump up and ran after the cougar hollowing like a hound. The cougar didn't run at first, and then turned and ran. The guy from California about crapped his panits and said you washington boys are crazy.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 06:01:26 AM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 06:26:04 AM »
It definitely happens with a variety of predators.  I think most of the time the predator catches on before we detect them, but it seems somewhere in the country every year a hunter gets jumped on by a cougar/coyote/bobcat etc. and has a shorts-staining experience. 

I've called in two coyotes and a bobcat while turkey calling.  I shot the coyote in NH at several feet range with a .22 pocket pistol.  I was walking through a burned area in WY when a tom gobbled a long way off and i yelped in response.  I saw a coyote come running down the ridge in front of me.  I set up facing upwind, in full camo in a little dip at the base of a big ponderosa.  I clucked and scratched in the dirt with my hand behind my back.  I then kept scratching intermittently until he came in, belly crawling, eyes absolutely intense.  He got a couple feet from my boots before he detected me and freaked out of there.  Bobcat was similar, except I had no idea it was there until it blew up out of the sagebrush away from me, just a few feet away - that one scared the heck out of me!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 06:35:42 AM »
The woods are scary. That's it, I'm taking up knitting!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »
The woods are scary. That's it, I'm taking up knitting!

Aint that the  truth... After an encounter like that happens everything makes you jump... I saw a bear one morning and the rest of the day even burnt out stumps made me jump.... Even Elmer Fudd is braver than me...
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
Had a similar event happen while archery hunting 3 years back.  I was walking towards my buddy down a narrow overgrown road and he was about 50 yards from me.  I don't know if the cougar was hidding in the bushes on the side or was passing through, but as soon as I had walked past it, which I didn't see, it sprung out of the bushes a few feet be hind me.   When I turned to face it it jumped into the bushes on the otherside of the road.  That was the last I saw of it.  They could take you out whenever they wanted, so it seems, but so far I haven't heard of to many cougar attacks.  You just can't hear them coming typically.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »
A couple years back my buddy and I were scouting for the upcoming early archery season. We walked down to a creek bottom to check for tracks for potential stand placement, and while walking back out we found cat tracks on top of ours. We never saw or heard a thing. That made the neck hairs stand up.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 07:10:51 AM »
I have waited 25 yrs for one to sneak up on me ...... 2010 kitty

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »
What a great looking cat! Nice kill.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 07:22:01 AM »
That's a big kitty.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
yeah that was the high lite of my hunting career .. I be happy now ...

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 03:54:06 PM »
Bowhunter45...what's the story I gotta here this one!!

Offline Tony

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »
Had a Bobcat charge me while walking out of the woods after dark when hunting at Bethel Ridge. Since i just had the moon light i couldn't tell what it was that started running at me from about 100 yds away until it got close but i can tell you they are FAST. it closed that distance before i could do anything but it turn and ran off when i yelled at it. Ever know it wasn't a big cat it still makes you feel like crapping yourself.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
It's not common but I had three hunters stalked by the same cat 3 days in a row last turkey season. WDFW wouldn't let us take him out.  :bash:

Most of the time you don't have to worry about it.

Nice cat BH45, you get him near where you took the photo? Dogs or call? congrats either way.... :IBCOOL:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal