collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Predator Quest with Les Johnson  (Read 23390 times)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Predator Quest with Les Johnson
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
but he kills dogs...   :twocents:

So do I.... :dunno:

You should have posted them in the coyote contest when you were on our team. I only remember 1.

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
Hey Meat, reread your first post. That's exactly what you said.  Maybe you meant to say the show stinks, but that isn't what you wrote.  I can defend the man, I can't defend the show.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »
Only caught it on a handful of times but I like it quite a bit.  I've never killed a yote and never hunted for them, so maybe I just don't know any difference.

I don't care much for Fred Eichler myself.  :dunno:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:50:07 PM »
He is o.k but coyote huntin has come along way .. theirs alot of good coyote hunters and I used to put the hurt on coyotes in the 80 & 90s and for me I never had much luck on the westside with electronic calls ... but I can not speak for everyone .all I know is I can use a diaphram call to make alot of sounds the electronic calls can make and to me sounds more realistic because i can change the sounds a little to make the difference when they are coming in...just my  :twocents: and these guys hunt areas where they do not have as much pressure and as not as many hunters around blowing calls all the time ... if i was hunting yotes right now I would use a fawn bleat and I think there would be  few yotes hittin the dirt ....dang maybe I should go give it a try tomorrow.......

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »
Hey Meat, reread your first post. That's exactly what you said.  Maybe you meant to say the show stinks, but that isn't what you wrote.  I can defend the man, I can't defend the show.

That sounds fair to me.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 06:37:56 AM »
but he kills dogs...   :twocents:

So do I.... :dunno:

You should have posted them in the coyote contest when you were on our team. I only remember 1.

I'm not talkin' about me, so that's a mute point.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »
Oh.  You were saying how much Les Johnson stinks and how he does everything wrong and he still has a TV show.  Then somebody commented on how he kills coyotes.  Then you replied, "So do I", so that led me to believe that you were talking about yourself.........or just impling that you are on the same level or better than Les.  No big deal to me, that's just how I read it.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
what Tlbradford said.i have met Les a few time's. he can call coyotes. the wildest thing he ever did is when he was with foxpro. he refused to use the Fx5 on his show. was using the old flashlight foxpro. well at the shot show Les jumped up on a table at Hooter's and yelled out i'm the michael jordan of predator calling. the guy i dont like is Tom austin. at the predatormaster's hunt this year. i was talking to him and he just walked away. did the same thing to another callmaker. he suck's. Les is a good caller. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
I'm not sure I have ever seen ONE hunting show that I would call good.   Back in the day, maybe some old Eastmans when they were filming big bucks but not killing them.  I don't think Les is hollywood material thats for sure.  Les the Hunter is pretty impressive. Kind of like Chuck Adams probably.  A real arrogant SOB at times, but does know what the heck he is doing.

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Predator Quest is my least favorite predator show, but I watch it anyway.  His formula seems to be "show the killing" while playing music. It is simple t implement.  He doesn't have to do much to assemble the shows, relative to his competitors.

As to listening to that Ruffidog call over and over again, it is my theory that this is all about selling his product.  I simply don't believe that the Ruffidog is the only call he uses.  I say that in part because it sounds to my ear that very little of his hunting footage (that is, not the face-the-camera narration) is synced sound.  When I listen/watch a Randy Anderson video, I trust that what I am hearing is what the coyote or bobcat is hearing at that moment.

I value listening/seeing the relationship between the calling (or other noise) and the critter's reaction.  I watch to learn.  Les is doing less teaching these days, as compared with his early shows.

Off-topic, but I find that when I spot the critter on the screen, I freeze.  It is as if I am out there hunting.  This is not much different then fidgeting to the left/right when watching a football player run up the field.  You react.  But in a hunting video, I react with stillness. (So far I haven't raised my rifle.   :o )
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
Oh.  You were saying how much Les Johnson stinks and how he does everything wrong and he still has a TV show.  Then somebody commented on how he kills coyotes.  Then you replied, "So do I", so that led me to believe that you were talking about yourself.........or just impling that you are on the same level or better than Les.  No big deal to me, that's just how I read it.

No problem.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
Ok. In my defense, I think Les can call coyotes and must do very good obviously. I just think his "Show" is slow and repetitive. No information about anything except his sponsors. I mean it's, it's, the same show every time. I only like it because of his " Lucky Coyote Hat ". I have one on they way.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
man I hope all these sounds you hear on t.v does not bring you to believe they are true ...they edit this crap so you believe they are using certain calls so you buy them ...just like scent killers ...never used the crap in my whole life ...keep the wind in my face and go kill something...not bragging But I used to kill an average of 25 yotes a year ...and one year I killed so many no one would believe me so I will leave it at that .... :chuckle:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 05:21:23 PM »
I bet I have 30 mouth calls and 2 ecalls. I never believe any of the crap I see on TV since it's all about revenue for the sponsors. I hunt coyotes in Levis and a Hickory shirt year around as I do everything else. That's why I don't have a TV show I bet. I shoot a lot of warning shots. I should start an ammo company. Ya think ?

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »
man I hope all these sounds you hear on t.v does not bring you to believe they are true ...they edit this crap so you believe they are using certain calls so you buy them...not bragging But I used to kill an average of 25 yotes a year ...and one year I killed so many no one would believe me so I will leave it at that .... :chuckle:

I can tell you that pretty much every show or video you watch on coyote hunting, is giving you the sound being used by a certain call.  They do not call coyotes with a different call and then edit over with another. 

You stated that coyote hunting has come a long way.  I would say this is true in a couple of small areas.  Mainly the identification of different coyote vocalizations.  Other than that, basic distress calls are still your best bet.  I am sure during the 80's and 90's when you were averaging 25 a year..you were only using a couple of calls.  I have gone entire seasons using only a two calls and killed over a 100 coyotes.  Thatwas when I had more time than brains, and gas was cheap.  I have no doubt that the ruffidawg is his primary handcall.  It is pretty much a slightly modified crt'r call, and that has probably killed more coyotes than any other call in the world. 

Anyway, I just want to make sure you get a little informed on the subject, prior to giving out bad information.  It's a coyote hunting show, how much variety do you expect?

You and Campmeat need to be placed on a team together this fall, because it sounds like you guys can give the top teams a run for their money.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal