collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: what size pistol should i carry for elk hunting?  (Read 38089 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: what size pistol should i carry for elk hunting?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
I just carry what I own...a .45 glock. If I cant stop an attacker with 10 rounds, plus xtra clip, ....its gonna be a hellofa story afterwards. :chuckle:

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 01:55:01 PM »
Like most have said, carry what ya own and know. If your going to buy a gun just for this then you buy the 329PD and be ready for anything with good shot placement. I carry my USP 40 compact. But a 329 is in the works soon! 

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
if you choose the 329pd you would be best to never even shoot it untill you get the x frame grips.....they make that much difference. I actually hunted deer with mine this last year. I love that gun.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59:51 PM »
sorry i might have missed it, but are you bow huntn? if so, is it even legal to carry a handgun during elk archery season, sorry if i am way off thread..

Yes, Jack the laws changed in the last couple of years.  I believe you still have have Concealled permit.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
if you choose the 329pd you would be best to never even shoot it untill you get the x frame grips.....they make that much difference. I actually hunted deer with mine this last year. I love that gun.

Awesome guns those 329's. I have allot of 44 mag ammo loaded and wonder about some of the higher pressure rounds loaded for my super redhawk? Hows that top strap treatin ya?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »
sorry i might have missed it, but are you bow huntn? if so, is it even legal to carry a handgun during elk archery season, sorry if i am way off thread..

Yes, Jack the laws changed in the last couple of years.  I believe you still have have Concealled permit.

Nope, don't need the concealed permit while participating in outdoors activities. I learned that here. Someone will paste the regs, I'm sure, as I'm to lazy to look for them.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »

Nope, don't need the concealed permit while participating in outdoors activities. I learned that here. Someone will paste the regs, I'm sure, as I'm to lazy to look for them.
:chuckle:
RCW 9.41.060

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

( 8 ) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Offline True Sportsman

• Scout
  • Bat Bat Bat Wings Fangs
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »

Your honesty made me laugh.  :chuckle:

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »
I just carry what I own...a .45 glock. If I cant stop an attacker with 10 rounds, plus xtra clip, ....its gonna be a hellofa story afterwards. :chuckle:

if you couldnt stop it how are you gonna tell the story?  :chuckle:

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:37 PM »

Awesome guns those 329's. I have allot of 44 mag ammo loaded and wonder about some of the higher pressure rounds loaded for my super redhawk? Hows that top strap treatin ya?

There is a replaceable stainless insert. When it shows wear, send it to smith and they will fix it free and ship it both ways.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:51:07 AM by high country »

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
Ruger 41 mag blackhawk , 4 inch barrel  not really heavy and will stop anything with one well placed shot.
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline bloodhound

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »
springfield xd 45 13 rounds. someone said earlier about there not being enough penetration, but if a black bear can take 13 rounds to the face with a 45 with plus power hollow/solid mix in the clip, then he has earned his dinner!!!
they call me the bloodhound cause i can track a wounded animal in the rain for 2 days when all it has is a splinter.. sniff sniff awooo

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
springfield xd 45 13 rounds. someone said earlier about there not being enough penetration, but if a black bear can take 13 rounds to the face with a 45 with plus power hollow/solid mix in the clip, then he has earned his dinner!!!

Explain to me how you are going to get off 13 shots if you are attacked by a bear.  In most bear attacks, the person was not aware of the bear until very close range.  They will be charging you at 35 mph.  Most likely you won't even get your gun drawn, let alone getting off an accurate enough shot to stop the attack.  13 shots?  Stop the macho attitude and come back to reality.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »
 :yeah:
Have a friend roll a basketball at you from say 35 feet at 30 to 35 mph and see if you can hit it 13 times.

If you can, now add a car coming at you from behind while this is going on at 35 mph but at delay that will give you one second extra to get out of the way before it smashes you. You cant move though until all 13 rounds hit the ball.

Fact is you haven't figured in "Stress fire". It makes a HUGE difference and is why cops getting shot at can miss a human at 15 feet 13 times. You may get one well placed lucky shot. A 45, 40 9mm inst going to cut it without a miracle of luck.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
This one should do the trick.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal