collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New pup for me  (Read 4076 times)

Offline jeff100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
New pup for me
« on: July 19, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here.  Been reading this forum for some time now, I'd like to get active in it.  Last week I bought a new pup.  It's a long story, with deals made, deals off, unsuccessful breedings, and I'd even given up for this year.  But I got lucky and found another breeder that had a few pups with the bloodlines I wanted.  Some of the best blood lines in the country for Brittanys.  My new pup is named Cooper, he's a 14 week old orange and white male.  He joins my 6 year old liver and white male Brittany named Jack.  I was wanting to get a new pup this year so I had a couple of years of good hunting with both dogs before Jack becomes a senior hunter and I've got to cut back on his field time.

Now I'm starting a two year training program to get this pup spooled up for upland bird hunting.  I'm a big proponent of the Ben O Williams 'let a dog be a dog' training technique.  This year will be primarily bonding and obedience training.  I will take Cooper with me this year when I hunt my older dog Jack, but Cooper will stay kenneled while we're hunting, and when we go on break back at the truck, the pup will get to romp in the bird grounds.  Next spring I'll start intensive bird training with the pup and start hunting both the dogs together next fall.  Can't wait.  It'll be interesting to see how the dogs hunt together, I've never hunted two dogs of my own.  My older dog has hunted with other friends dogs though.  Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated.  Here's a few pics....

Offline Wayne1

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
Re: New pup for me
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »
Great looking pup :brew:
Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road. --David Letterman

Offline rjm5

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:35:11 PM »
Cool pup. Britts are good dogs.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 03:43:21 PM »
Good deal, nice lookin pup.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline Rowdy

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
Great looking pup!  As you can see I'm a big fan of pointing dogs.  Your first year plan is exactly what I did with my dog.  Started the serious training this summer and he's turning into a great little bird dog.  Best of luck, theres nothing I enjoy more than seeeing a dog go on point.

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:53:45 PM »
great looking pup! excited to see how he turns out, be sure to keep us posted

Offline snohohunter

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »
Great looking dog - I have two brits myself.   

I had Dave Walker train one of mine, and he wrote a pretty good book - here's a link. http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/the-bird-dog-training-manual.htm

Congrats!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal