collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: other thread got me thinking...  (Read 10861 times)

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
other thread got me thinking...
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
I've never had a fishing bow. Going to get a new bow this year. Was thinking about setting up my old bow for fishing. I probably would rarely ever go but, be fun when I had the time. I'm left handed too so, no point in trying to sell my Mathews (which I still really like anyways). I've had it for 8 years.

Setting this up got me thinking about waterfowl. I shot quite a few ducks this year with my bow. I don't take my dogs for fear of them stepping on or biting the broadhead. How far can you shoot an arrow accurately with a fishing reel set up? My longest successful shot was 42 yards on a swimming bird. Can you shoot a line set up that far or, would i need to get short. It seems the drag of the line would really slow it up. I've never shot a fishing bow so, I don't know????
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
Re: other thread got me thinking...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
also, even just for fishing... what draw weight do you typically pull?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline uplandhunter870

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
get ahold of carpsniper, he way lays the bejebus out of carp with a bow

for my fishing bow i picked up a cheap compound i found in a pawn shop that was in good shape, have it set at 55lbs i think, makes for easy all day shooting.  id imagine that a typical fiberglass fishing arrow is most likely going to start losing accuracy around 35 yards (this is just a guess, anyone feel free to correct)

whenever i get out to do shoot carp my longest shot is maybe 15yds, arrow always flies true but im still learning where the fish actually are in relation to the whole looking through the water surface deal, in short i miss alot

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »

for my fishing bow i picked up a cheap compound i found in a pawn shop that was in good shape, have it set at 55lbs i think, makes for easy all day shooting.  id imagine that a typical fiberglass fishing arrow is most likely going to start losing accuracy around 35 yards (this is just a guess, anyone feel free to correct)

whenever i get out to do shoot carp my longest shot is maybe 15yds, arrow always flies true but im still learning where the fish actually are in relation to the whole looking through the water surface deal, in short i miss alot

I was curious about fishing for tiger muskies too. Problem would probably be falling within size restrictions... You wouldn't know how big or small they are and end up harvesting fish outside the size limits. I've done a little bit of sight fishing with a fly rod for them. It is a blast but, with a bow, I could put away some monsters at 30-40 yards. We're typically not casting much further than that due to the size of flies... some look like old gym socks and feel like they weight about the same when you cast them..
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »
You should try running something other than broadheads when shooting birds with arrows. The judo points and other similar heads work sweet. I'm still not sure I'd take the dogs along but either way...
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
You should try running something other than broadheads when shooting birds with arrows. The judo points and other similar heads work sweet. I'm still not sure I'd take the dogs along but either way...

yeah, just have old broadheads that needed a good use. I thought about judo's. Still, nothing truely flies like a broadhead and I felt it was really good spot and stalk practice. A moving duck isn't an easy target. Not to mention it was the only kills I had with the bow this year....  :bash:
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »

I was curious about fishing for tiger muskies too. Problem would probably be falling within size restrictions... You wouldn't know how big or small they are and end up harvesting fish outside the size limits. I've done a little bit of sight fishing with a fly rod for them. It is a blast but, with a bow, I could put away some monsters at 30-40 yards. We're typically not casting much further than that due to the size of flies... some look like old gym socks and feel like they weight about the same when you cast them..

not sure what the game laws are but i think game fish are off limits to bow fishing, check the regs but im pretty sure most game fish are off limits to bow fishing

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »

not sure what the game laws are but i think game fish are off limits to bow fishing, check the regs but im pretty sure most game fish are off limits to bow fishing

I haven't looked into it but, it certainly makes sense.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
Sorry I did not see this faster! Always happy to help bud! Right now I am running a alpine archery mako. I also have all my clients shooting them as well. They are a very nice little bow and run about 300 brand new! I have a left handed model as well "I do get a few backwards customers each year" LoL.

As far as a shot there is a couple major factors in this. If you are running a ams retriever style reel "which is the best thing money can buy, for the sport" You will have a standard bottle with 25 yards of line. I have shot fish right at the limit of the 25 yards. Most you shots should be less then 10 yards. I am a cray guy and bought the large bottle/aftermart upgrade and added it to my setup along with 35 yards of line. This is because I shoot some big fish and like them to not yank on the arrow when it gets to the end of the line. So the extra 10 yards lets me fight them a lot better. You do not want a snap back, which happens when you shoot past the limits of your line. The arrow will either come right back at you or break off. Be careful of this!

As far as poundage, I have 1 40lb bow/ 2 50lb bows and my personal bow at 60lbs. Most guys will run between the 40-50 lb range. I run more because I shoot a lot of deep water fish and need the extra energy to penetrate into the water better. These mako's will back down a good bit as well. We have shot carp with bows with as little as 20lbs of draw weight.

Hope this helps ya! Feel free to ask any more questions you might have :tup: :tup: :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline sirfunkeybut

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:23:13 AM »
im pretty sure all you can shoot in washington is carp and bullfrogs. Frogs are blast to shoot while spotlighting  :tup:

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 03:10:26 AM »
im pretty sure all you can shoot in washington is carp and bullfrogs. Frogs are blast to shoot while spotlighting  :tup:

Mice.   Lousy little poop machines crawling over everything in camp.   Minimag light on a 20ga works well.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
I have talked about the pike stuff before. I am not sure and have got lots of different answers about it. So I am not sure on what is legal and not with them. Bull frogs and carp are legal. Beware that only common carp are legal to shoot. There is a few places in washington that have grass carp and last time I check they are protected.

Offline sirfunkeybut

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »
i had a guy argue me over the carp i was shooting. He was telling me they're protected and after about a minute, i told him to just call the game warden. Here in Yakima we have no grass carp, only common. And its not like its hard to tell the difference anywho.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »
Yeah for sure they are easy to tell and we really don't have many in this state. There is a few but very limited and most people bow fishing will know the difference.

Offline sirfunkeybut

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
another tip, make sure to get a good pair of polarized glasses. they help alot! i bought a cheap pair from walmart for $13 and it made all the difference in the world

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal