collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best all around clothing?  (Read 18008 times)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Best all around clothing?
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
Wondering what everyones thoughts are for the best available all around hunting clothing on the market. I am ready to replace my hunting wardrobe with the best money can buy. I have been using rivers west for the last 5 years or so and have decided I'm done with it. Living here on the west coast Its great stuff for keeping rain out but it keeps sweat in. After hiking all day to get to the top of a mountain I really do not like to get cold and that's what happens with rivers west. I am looking for something I can wear in the summer on high hunts and in the winter for the extreme elements. Preferably something that keeps the moisture I create out and will keep you warm when the weather picks up. Just wanted a few opinions before I spend the money on something and end up unhappy with its performance.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
Re: Best all around clothing?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
i would look at what kuiu is offering. others if you don't like theirs. but think layers. wicking (merino, polypro). insulator. hard shell.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
 :yeah: but I don't like the camo pattern of kuiu, that's why i am slowly buying sitka, i think optifade is the best camo out. Any of the higher end clothing will suit your needs. But its all about layers!

Offline LivinTheDream

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
I am looking for something I can wear in the summer on high hunts and in the winter for the extreme elements.

Sorry to pee in your cheerios, but no such thing. FTF, is right think layers. Kuiu offers some great clothing. I do like my sitka, alot of guys dont but mine has held up well. Firstlite also has some nice gear. Overall I think kuiu is running away with the market. Best price, best quality, but ordering from them is tough most of the time they are out of stock.
IAFF Local 3674

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
Im not a fan of that camo pattern either! I do like the looks of the sitka gear, That and the russell apxg2 is what I have been looking at.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
i would look at what kuiu is offering. others if you don't like theirs. but think layers. wicking (merino, polypro). insulator. hard shell.
[/quote/

:yeah:

I havent tried kuiu, but i am jonesen for the wool pullover base layer. Im big on wool, polypro and fleece, all garments that you can shake out dry. Wool actually dries out as you are wearing it. If it raining i like a shell thats long enough to sort of act like an umbrella for adove the knees then i just use gaiters. I havent had issues with rivers west. If im going to wear it i just drop down to a base layer and shirt.

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 11:26:32 AM »
I am looking for something I can wear in the summer on high hunts and in the winter for the extreme elements.

Sorry to pee in your cheerios, but no such thing. FTF, is right think layers. Kuiu offers some great clothing. I do like my sitka, alot of guys dont but mine has held up well. Firstlite also has some nice gear. Overall I think kuiu is running away with the market. Best price, best quality, but ordering from them is tough most of the time they are out of stock.
You are certainly going to  have to invest in layers to do all seasons. You don't need to go and spend thousands on one companies different layering systems. I bought the Sitka ascent jacket and pants last year and was able you use it form 50 degrees to 0 degrees while layering with under armour, mountain hardwear and others. I really like the sitka stuff for hunting up and down the mountains.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
I've got sitka core base layers, merino long underwear if its colder, sitka traverse hoodie, sitka 90% pants and jacket and cabelas space rain rain gear. If it gets real cold I've got some wooltimate fleece from Cabelas and I think I've got 98% of my bases covered.  I do think I could improve my rain gear but it packs down so small and the price is right.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:36:02 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »
The problem I have with the riversa west is it holds my sweat inside and then when it cools off it gets pretty uncomfortable. I have wore polypro underneath and it still does the same thing, its just hard to dry out. It is really good for keeping moisture out but its also really good at keeping moisture in.

Offline livnright

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »
i have firstlite, and is ok, have some kuiu, seem the sizing runs small, try and find someone that has your size. i bought a xlarge jacket, and was so out of wack in fit and sent it back, i would wait some and check out the outlet store. sure they are getting alot of stuff back.

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
We (Primetime Outdoors) run Kryptek exclusively. Can't say enough good things about 'em. We hunted with 'em in early archery elk as well as a snowy 3 days in rifle elk season. They held up well in all regards and I couldn't believe it, but I really liked the built in knee pads. Can't beat merino wool!
They are due to come out with their new line featured in their new 'Highlander' pattern. Cutting edge military camo pattern is what it is. Kryptek is owned and operated by servicemen so they know a thing or two about high end performance hunting clothing.
If you're hunting Western Wa I would really look into their new 'Mandrake' pattern. It looks sweet!

http://www.kryptek.com/leaf/

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
    @ BrushChimp... Did you guys have any experience with the Koldo Blockage? I just ordered a set from cabelas as it was to stupid cheap not to try it out.

I agree with layering. 180... I have the same experience with rivers west, great gear but It has to be cold, or in a  stand for me to be comfortable in it. I like my sitka raingear, its held up well and has ventilation options for when I am moving. Its dumb expensive tho and Im not sold that its better than other products that can be had for less. I have never worn it but Kuiu seems like a good option from the look of fabric and materials, the kryptek I mentioned above also seemed very well constructed 3 lam and will see how that works out.

A quality base layer is gonna be what makes or breaks your system  and IMO merino is litterally gods gift. I have used, sitkas core, and UA, but if i get wet I get cold and damp.  The sitka merino series is nice I have the top but the fabric has not held up well for a garment that cost 100 bucks. The firstlite has held up much better.  I have some off brand merino bottoms that rock and cost a fraction of the money, not camo but they work great.

If you choose synthetics the sitka core was the best. I love my UA for working out, but have a couple of their top of the line sets of coldgear for sale if interested  :chuckle:    When I layer up If im gonna be moving alot in reasonable temps I usually go merino then raingear, or shell. I add mid layers as needed based on temps and activity level.

Offline WonkyWapiti

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
BrushChimp, who sells Kryptek on the west side?

Offline dupedc

• Hardcore Hunting
  • Hunter
  • It’s good to be in elk woods!
    • Gig Harbor Chiropractor
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Hey 180, here's a great article and review of layering systems by all of the top manufacturers...maybe it will help you out!

http://www.eastmans.com/exclusives/the-6-critical-layers.html

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
I can't say enough about the Sitka Downpour OPTIFADE™ Forest. My opinion its the best thing since sliced bread.  Layer with what ever you want but when it comes to wet rainy west side weather it cannot be beat.  light DURABLE and breathable.  What else can you ask for. Spendy but well woth it period.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]