collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The great, big, rat hunt!  (Read 15796 times)

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
The great, big, rat hunt!
« on: November 12, 2016, 10:21:02 PM »
Well, I had set out rat traps near my chicken coop.   Several times they ate the peanut butter and lived! Tonight I tied granola bar chucks to the traps with fishing line.

I feel like a big game hunter again (deer season was too long ago)

:hunter:
1 confirmed kill, a mature female
1 unconfirmed kill.  Lots of blood, I tried to follow the trail in the dark but no luck.

:mgun: Die rats!!!

If I have any kills in the daylight I will post a pic.

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: The great, big, rat hunt!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »
Put a red light out by your coop and leave out your bait where you have a good shot.  Get your pellet gun ready, and drill the little buggers when they come out to the bait. If you don't want to sit around and wait, get a driveway alarm from Harbor Freight and leave it near the bait. It will beep when you have a visitor. I've gotten lots of rats this way - it's a ton of fun.
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »
Put a red light out by your coop and leave out your bait where you have a good shot.  Get your pellet gun ready, and drill the little buggers when they come out to the bait. If you don't want to sit around and wait, get a driveway alarm from Harbor Freight and leave it near the bait. It will beep when you have a visitor. I've gotten lots of rats this way - it's a ton of fun.
Chris

No safe shooting lane, believe me, I thought about that. :)

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
Well, I had set out rat traps near my chicken coop.   Several times they ate the peanut butter and lived! Tonight I tied granola bar chucks to the traps with fishing line.

I feel like a big game hunter again (deer season was too long ago)

1 confirmed kill, a mature female
1 unconfirmed kill.  Lots of blood, I tried to follow the trail in the dark but no luck.

:mgun: Die rats!!!

If I have any kills in the daylight I will post a pic.

Wait about 30 minutes before you follow the blood trail.  Gives them time to die or stiffen up.  Oh wait....that advice is for deer.

Best time I ever had was when my dad and uncle took me to the local dump at night.  Shame dumps aren't sanitary and don't still exist.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
Ahhh the memeroies.

My first big game as a child was hunting rats after school in the family chicken yard.
Laying on my belly under burlap bags for hours ,shooting rats. Ahh the best fun.

Use bacon chunks as bait.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline TONTO

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:33:12 PM »
  I changed up to a Big Snap-E trap. It's a plastic trap simple to set, easy empty, and they're not going to get the bait. It's a rat killing machine, but even though I was constantly dumping dead rats I wasn't keeping up. So I put out some rodentex, not a sign of a rat for a week now :tup:

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »
i remember a time about 38 years ago when my cousin had a rat problem in his chicken house...we waited until after dark to go and shoot those buggers with a 22 semi rifle and a 22 pistol.  he was adament about not shooting a lot of holes in the chicken house so my brother had the rifle and my dad had the pistol.  opened the door and turned on the light and saw two rats running around the eaves. my brother killed the first rat with the second shot from the rifle.  my old man, who was many beers into the night, kept banging away at the second one with the pistol---after about the sixth shot that rat fell to the ground and upon further inspection he had not hit it...must have had a heart attack and died as there was not a shot in the dam thing....i never got to take a shot but still remember it like it was yesterday.
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:54:51 AM »
Wait about 30 minutes before you follow the blood trail.  Gives them time to die or stiffen up.  Oh wait....that advice is for deer.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Last night I was cutting up a bunch of venison for some meat loaf (:drool:) and had some fatty scraps left over.  I attached those to the traps with tooth picks and had one big rat this morning!

3 down, many many more to go!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »
Any kind of poison  and chickens is bad stuff. We have lots of rats where we live and it's the main reason why I don't get some birds. I keep poison out all the time.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 01:14:03 PM »
We have a pretty healthy rat population in north Seattle, too. In past years I've used a brand of rat poison that has been removed from the market (D-CON in the little trays). It seemed to work well. I'm no longer using poison because I have dogs and I'm concerned about them catching and eating a rat who has ingested the poison. My understanding is that canines can become sick and die as a result from ingesting a poisoned rodent.
So, I'm currently using RatX, a non-toxic bait. The jury is still out on how well this stuff works. I may supplement it with this Big Snap-E trap I'm reading about in this thread. I've had mixed success with the traditional Victor rat traps.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
When I was growing up in NH, we used to go to the dump and shoot rats with .22s. Tons of fun.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Dr. Death

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 02:11:33 PM »
Use the bucket & water trick.... :chuckle:

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
If you get a booner post it up  :chuckle:

I should of done a full body mount on this one, real trophy as the whiskers are outside the ears.

I shoot them if i can, but if you are only using traps the Tomcat rat traps work real well, get a dozen and set up a trap line.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »
I didn't get any rats last night but I did get my dog's nose.  Thankfully the tomcat didn't break anything.  (trap bait is still venison scraps, no poison for the dog to get into)

Offline drakehntr

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
I get them by my coop too.  Traps were mildly successfull, but also killed a lot of tweety birds.  So i now go out some eves with a headlamp and Remington .22 fieldmaster.  It just shoots birdshot.  Lots of fun and i have killed a ton of them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg