collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eagle Cap Wilderness (recent pics added)  (Read 24984 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Eagle Cap Wilderness (recent pics added)
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »
Not necessarily hunting related, but wondering if any of you have played around in there so far this summer? If there's certain trails that are treed in any worse than others? I'm probably going to take a weekend and go into Tombstone but if that trail is clear I might have to decide on another spot to go.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:02:23 AM by theleo »

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Eagle Cap Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Tagging for hopefully future pictures. I love the caps!
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
Haven't been this year but please post photos.  I always loved the Eagle Caps. 

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
There's some Wallowas photos in the mix.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
WOW gorgeous country!

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
I love that wilderness.  Thanks for the photos.   Going to have to get back in there for elk some year.   

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:37:42 AM »
Have not been there this year, but photos...

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
Eagle Cap Wilderness
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
Where you coming in from? We went to Wonker Pass the other weekend out of W Eagle. Trail is good all the way to the cut off to Elk Cr trail. I've never been on the Elk Cr section to climb up and over, and frankly I'm not sure I will. Looks and sounds steep. I haven't been to Tombstone or Diamond yet, but if it were me I'd maybe go in from Buck Cr.

If you do, are you planning on trying to fish? The fishing was down right terrible this year at Echo, Traverse, and another spot. I think it froze especially hard and killed a bunch. Usually it's lights out for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »
The wife was in there this weekend. More snow than usual this time of year, duh. they made it to the top of Eagle Cap despite a fairly large snow field. The picture is of Glacier Lake probably 70% covered in snow. this was Friday the 28th of July. We got a horse trip planned up the Minam this weekend then in a few more weeks we'll be making a loop past Steamboat and Chimney Lakes. This link might help too.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/wallowa-whitman/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5317834

You can also call the Wallowa Mtns visitor center: 541-426-5546

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
God's country!

I don't envy the work and money that goes into keeping stock but I sure envy the results! Man it would be fun to go in there on pack horses. I miss Oregon.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 11:55:32 PM »
We went in bout 10 years ago for elk.  Cool place forsure. We went up i think imnaha side

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 07:22:53 AM »
The wife was in there this weekend. More snow than usual this time of year, duh. they made it to the top of Eagle Cap despite a fairly large snow field. The picture is of Glacier Lake probably 70% covered in snow. this was Friday the 28th of July. We got a horse trip planned up the Minam this weekend then in a few more weeks we'll be making a loop past Steamboat and Chimney Lakes. This link might help too.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/wallowa-whitman/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5317834

How did your trip up the Minam go? I'm considering as a backup: starting at Moss Springs, going to Red's, then heading up river till Rock Creek, then back to Moss Springs via the Lackey's Hole. If the trail is plugged up I might just go that way.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
Where you coming in from? We went to Wonker Pass the other weekend out of W Eagle. Trail is good all the way to the cut off to Elk Cr trail. I've never been on the Elk Cr section to climb up and over, and frankly I'm not sure I will. Looks and sounds steep. I haven't been to Tombstone or Diamond yet, but if it were me I'd maybe go in from Buck Cr.

If you do, are you planning on trying to fish? The fishing was down right terrible this year at Echo, Traverse, and another spot. I think it froze especially hard and killed a bunch. Usually it's lights out for us.

I'm not doing any fishing, being out of state it just isn't worth it for me unless I'm staying at the Splash Dam. I've always accessed Diamond and Tombstone via Buck Cr. trailhead and going over Burger Pass. The trail isn't as bad as what you deal with going up to Echo. For accessing that end of the Minam, Buck Creek is a nice starting point. I know the FS did open the road Squaw Creek so the bridge crew could get to the Buck creek bridge easier.

As a kid Diamond and Tombstone were a long day ride for us, not knowing what the trail is like and cutting as I go, I'm figuring on just making to the lakes and staying the night. I'll pack up and head back out the next morning. If it's easier than I plan I might cut down Elk Creek to where it meets the Minam. Might go look at the old bridge abutments where the Trail Creek trail came across the river, that canyon roared when that bridge came out. 

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »
Exercised the mules yesterday via the Art Garret and LP trails.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

I'm not doing any fishing, being out of state it just isn't worth it for me unless I'm staying at the Splash Dam. I've always accessed Diamond and Tombstone via Buck Cr. trailhead and going over Burger Pass. The trail isn't as bad as what you deal with going up to Echo. For accessing that end of the Minam, Buck Creek is a nice starting point. I know the FS did open the road Squaw Creek so the bridge crew could get to the Buck creek bridge easier.

As a kid Diamond and Tombstone were a long day ride for us, not knowing what the trail is like and cutting as I go, I'm figuring on just making to the lakes and staying the night. I'll pack up and head back out the next morning. If it's easier than I plan I might cut down Elk Creek to where it meets the Minam. Might go look at the old bridge abutments where the Trail Creek trail came across the river, that canyon roared when that bridge came out.

Let us know how it goes. The lady and I plan on taking some time off after harvest and riding into some new areas. My plans to come up to WA for the high hunt might be shot since our harvest is shaking out later than I'd like.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »

How did your trip up the Minam go? I'm considering as a backup: starting at Moss Springs, going to Red's, then heading up river till Rock Creek, then back to Moss Springs via the Lackey's Hole. If the trail is plugged up I might just go that way.

Our trip was good. We started just up from the Minam/Wallowa confluence. Rode in 7 or 8 miles to a place called Meads flat. Found a nice camp site right on the river with a big eddy to fish and swim in. The ride was fine, had to ford the river a few times to get around some bad sections. It was pretty warm down low but not nearly as smoky as it looked up high, and we stayed pretty cool with the timber and the river. Saw 4 bear over the weekend, 2 shooters, kicked myself for not bringing my rifle but oh well. All in all it was a good trip.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
I'll be going in again this weekend. Starting at Bear Wallow trail head and going in past Standley guard station on foot. Hopefully we can find some elk.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 10:14:11 AM »
I'll be going in again this weekend. Starting at Bear Wallow trail head and going in past Standley guard station on foot. Hopefully we can find some elk.
To the Guard Station is usually pretty good but I've had no reports what the Washboard is like. Fox Point hasn't been cut out in years and Dobbin hasn't been cleaned out in 2-3 years.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »

Let us know how it goes. The lady and I plan on taking some time off after harvest and riding into some new areas. My plans to come up to WA for the high hunt might be shot since our harvest is shaking out later than I'd like.
Will do. I did notice that things are running late. Still seeing standing quite a bit of standing mint and looks like some are still working on grass seed. When I worked for Rudds grass was usually close to being wrapped up or was done by the time the fair rolled around. Usually just had wheat to deal with and burning off the grass fields by around this time.

There's a number of loops you can make out of Moss Springs that are open and Bear Creek is always cooler to ride in than most anywhere else. Rock Springs down to the Land Ranch is open as well as the trail from their up to Red's, no idea how the main trail past that looks like as to if it has been cut out or not past Red's.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »

Will do. I did notice that things are running late. Still seeing standing quite a bit of standing mint and looks like some are still working on grass seed. When I worked for Rudds grass was usually close to being wrapped up or was done by the time the fair rolled around. Usually just had wheat to deal with and burning off the grass fields by around this time.

There's a number of loops you can make out of Moss Springs that are open and Bear Creek is always cooler to ride in than most anywhere else. Rock Springs down to the Land Ranch is open as well as the trail from their up to Red's, no idea how the main trail past that looks like as to if it has been cut out or not past Red's.

I'll have to pick your brain some more it looks like. I manage the grain terminal here, and unfortunately the timing is terrible for when I really want to get up there. My wife does grass harvest in the Willamette Valley, and then I'm locked up here until about Oct for any lengthy trips. I finally made a couple trips by myself in July, but I really need to get her in there. We've been here 5 years and haven't hardly had a chance to spend time up there.

Grass seed just finished this last week, mint just got started, and we might be 25% through wheat. Spring wheat is going to be late.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »
The mules speak for themselves, however the fact they are roached between the ears tells ya something, the saw scabbard is first class, and anyone towing a FeatherLite displays an unspoken level of intelligence.

I'm beginning to slowly develop some respect for theleo.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
The mules speak for themselves, however the fact they are roached between the ears tells ya something, the saw scabbard is first class, and anyone towing a FeatherLite displays an unspoken level of intelligence.

I'm beginning to slowly develop some respect for theleo.
Respect my dad, I'm 30 years old with a young family. I drive a paid off Hyundai and have a 94' Toyota pickup that I've had since high school. Not A chance I could afford to own those animals or the ground to keep them on without being so in debt I'd never be able to afford the diesel to take them anywhere. I do the best I can for making up for being a pain in the a$$ kid, so he lets me nab the animals whenever I want and head into the hills. They're definitely top rate mules (the red mule I trust more than any other being on this planet) and all of the equipment/tack is the best I guy could ever want for doing what we do. Might be able to afford to own the sort of animals he has someday but it's not today. 

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 08:27:40 AM »
I see nothing here that is not worthy of respect.
Obviously your dad has done a good job starting his mules and his son.
You will do the same with your kiddos.

Time outdoors is priceless.

Side note: Tell your dad I need a good riding mule in the near future. Perhaps he knows of one.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »

Side note: Tell your dad I need a good riding mule in the near future. Perhaps he knows of one.
Just riding or are you packing? What's good, tall, short, older, younger? I can definetly ask around, I know one of his friends got a couple of mules from a breeder in Montana or Wyoming. His friend went up for a to the breeder/trainers place for a few days and rode a couple of mules, he couldn't decide which was better so bought both. There's another one of his friends that has a few he's had going since colts but I'm not sure if he's selling them still or not. I've been around them and they are going little SOB's with great demeanors. The challenge would be towing a pack string behind them and keeping things slow enough the string doesn't have to jog to keep up.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
For sure on the jogging thing.
I have mules I pack.
I'm looking for a good riding mule that isn't old. :) (Ain't everyone)
We ride in the hills weekly, but at 52 I don't necessarily want to do the whole training thingy......again.
As it stands I'm just finishing the 4 year old horse I ride.
Once I'm done with it it will be passed down to my 10 year old son, his horse will be passed down to his younger sister, and dad will need a new ride.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »
For sure on the jogging thing.
I have mules I pack.
I'm looking for a good riding mule that isn't old. :) (Ain't everyone)
We ride in the hills weekly, but at 52 I don't necessarily want to do the whole training thingy......again.
As it stands I'm just finishing the 4 year old horse I ride.
Once I'm done with it it will be passed down to my 10 year old son, his horse will be passed down to his younger sister, and dad will need a new ride.
In other words 7-10 years old with most of the bad habits ridden out of it? What about size? Use to never think there was such a thing as too tall till I got acquainted with that black mule. He's rite at 17 hands and at 6 feet tall I don't attempt getting on him from a position of a vertical disadvantage.  :o

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
LOL.
One of the best mules I owned was a legit 17.
Tall skinny black rawboned saddle mule I called Walker.
Picked him up in Salmon from a guy that use to hunt rattlesnakes off him along the main river.
Say "foot", tap a leg, and Walker would lift that foot.
His one bad habit was jumping fences. :)
If he was in love or hungry he could easily walk up to a 5' tall fence flat footed and clear the top wire/board.
He was awesome but is pushing daisy's behind the barn now.

Honestly I'm looking for something 15-16 hands, saddle broke, well behaved, bridges, water, loads, clips, easy to catch, not spooky, easy keeper, Red, Black, or Bay.
You know what I want as much as you ride the woods.

I'm in no rush but as mentioned in the next year my 8 year old daughters trail horse will be the old horse out which forces a rotation of the critters.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

Honestly I'm looking for something 15-16 hands, saddle broke, well behaved, bridges, water, loads, clips, easy to catch, not spooky, easy keeper, Red, Black, or Bay.
You know what I want as much as you ride the woods.

I normally ride in the woods with a group of crabby old mule skinners and each one is pretty particular about their animals. :chuckle:
Even when my dad was in his 50's he wouldn't ride a tall animal and they had to be on the slender side otherwise it'd play hell with his hip, especially in November packing elk. Just making sure you were just looking for the perfect mule, not the extra perfect kind. I'll ask around.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 01:01:03 PM »
LOL.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
So pictures from this weekend.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
Couple more.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »
man that looks refreshing!!!
Just tend your own and live.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
man that looks refreshing!!!
That'd be one way to put it. Got rained on both days and had enough trees to cut I was soaked from sweat as well. It's a lonely and beautiful area though.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
Re: Eagle Cap Wilderness (recent pics added)
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »
Looks fun as hell!!
Gotta love lonely.

I don't go to see trekking poles and dreadlocks.

Did you have someone for the other side of that saw?

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2017, 10:29:43 AM »
 :tup: never get tired of looking at mule pics.
  *edit to add: the scenery is awesome, too!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:42:49 AM by Mark_436 »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
That's awesome. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline renrutbocaj

• Tracker
    • @MainbeamWC
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
Those of you with experience in the Caps, my brother drew a Muzzy Elk tag for this year and I will be going along with him in October with my pack goats. Is there any recommendations of non-horse trails to look into? Is it even worth worrying about the horse hunters during the muzzle loading season?

Thanks for any advice in advance. I have horses and love to ride and pack, but my wife and I are trying this pack goat adventure out and it has been great so far. Much cheaper and much more versatile. :)
In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 01:06:49 AM »

Im pretty sure this is where i went on a drop camp bout 10 years ago

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 05:14:13 AM »
Looks like it
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Birdgetter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 08:42:26 PM »
Beautiful scenery!

Offline renrutbocaj

• Tracker
    • @MainbeamWC
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 07:05:25 AM »
Seems my question that re-surfaced this thread was burried. :)

Those of you with experience in the Caps, my brother drew a Muzzy Elk tag for this year and I will be going along with him in October with my pack goats. Is there any recommendations of non-horse trails to look into? Is it even worth worrying about the horse hunters during the muzzle loading season?

Thanks for any advice in advance. I have horses and love to ride and pack, but my wife and I are trying this pack goat adventure out and it has been great so far. Much cheaper and much more versatile. :)
In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 07:49:09 AM »

There's no such thing as a "non-horse" trail for that hunt, all the trails are open to legal forms of transportation in a Wilderness area. I don't know what to tell you in regards to pressure but I'm sure a decent number of those tags will be either guided or drop camp hunters. There's plenty of ruff stuff in there but if comes down to weather elk won't hold in the upper end for to very long. Speaking of weather, be sure to have a set of changes since most of those trail heads can be a little sketchy coming down from once the snow starts sticking.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »

You'd have to be more descriptive on where you drop camp was. Those photos cover 3 drainage's, Little Minam, Catherine Creek, and the Imnaha.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
month from now I will be in the caps for about 10 days. Pretty stoked
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »
Might as well add some pictures to this.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Offline renrutbocaj

• Tracker
    • @MainbeamWC
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »

There's no such thing as a "non-horse" trail for that hunt, all the trails are open to legal forms of transportation in a Wilderness area. I don't know what to tell you in regards to pressure but I'm sure a decent number of those tags will be either guided or drop camp hunters. There's plenty of ruff stuff in there but if comes down to weather elk won't hold in the upper end for to very long. Speaking of weather, be sure to have a set of changes since most of those trail heads can be a little sketchy coming down from once the snow starts sticking.

Great, thanks for the response.

Looking at the Forest Service online map, they list the "maintained trails", "Maintained within the last 2 years", and "Not Maintained". Are they more maintained than it looks? I see a lot of "Maintained within the last 2 years" and a lot of "Not Maintained". Should I not read into these labels as much as I would like to?

Also, what is access/popularity like in the Lostine River Rd area?

Thanks,

Renrut

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »

Great, thanks for the response.

Looking at the Forest Service online map, they list the "maintained trails", "Maintained within the last 2 years", and "Not Maintained". Are they more maintained than it looks? I see a lot of "Maintained within the last 2 years" and a lot of "Not Maintained". Should I not read into these labels as much as I would like to?

Also, what is access/popularity like in the Lostine River Rd area?

Thanks,

Renrut
The Lostine in a popular drainage, it receives it's fair share of archery and rifle hunters. As to what's maintained or not, you need to give me an idea about what trails you're looking at or where you want to go. There's a couple hundred miles of trails in your hunt area and the Forest Service doesn't do anything of significance towards maintaining them themselves. There are trails marked on there as not maintained that I've personally been on and cut out (within the past year) with a volunteer group. If you want, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss some of the trails if you don't want to talk about where you're going on an open forum.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2019, 03:17:26 AM »

It was on one of the Imnaha forks. And there was a big area with down trees like the one pic. If i remember right it was Middle fork of imnaha. Almost to the glaciers

You'd have to be more descriptive on where you drop camp was. Those photos cover 3 drainage's, Little Minam, Catherine Creek, and the Imnaha.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal