collapse
For when you only get one shot! Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Chris McCarthy
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire brigade
Re: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »
I ordered another from mike last week.  :chuckle: I hate waiting
mines gonna be done before yours :chuckle: :hello:
:chuckle:

You're bound to get a lot of opinions. I'll throw mine in as well. All the calibers you mentioned will get the job done. Unless you have specific ballistic requirements, I think you should get what you prefer and would enjoy shooting.

I've owned both the 300 RUM and 338 RUM. I sold the 300 because I preferred the way the 338 shot and the ballistics of the larger bullets. However, if I was to choose again, I think I would choose a different 338 cartridge since the RUM has since fallen out of favor and brass is harder to obtain.
Check out adg Brass. They are making 338 rum brass

Offline andersonjk4

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:35 AM »
Another vote here for 300wm.  I shoot 200 grain Accubonds at about 2950 fps.  This load is fairly mild in my opinion.  My rifle has a 26" barrel and is about 10-10.5 pounds with scope and doesn't have a break.  I don't have any issues with the recoil and I'm a small guy. Recoil wise, I actually prefer to shoot my 300wm over my 30-06 with a standard sporter barrel shooting 165 grain bullets.   

Offline b23

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
The 300 Win and 215's have proven to definitely be a winning combination but I certainly wouldn't overlook the 30 Nosler.  It has a little more case capacity than the 300 Winnie so it'll give a slight edge in performance.  Also, the case is a fair bit shorter so depending on the action you use it'll allow you to use a longer OAL and still feed through the magazine.  Not really an issue though if you're using a custom or Rem 700 LA receiver.

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Wow....so many great posts / responses.  I guess I have a lot more research to do.....problem being, everytime I research a caliber, I find 3 more to add to the list.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:   Example:  I am pretty sure I will have to own a 6.5-300wby some day.  My obsession continues to be expensive.  LOLOLOL

Leaning a little more toward the 300 win mag due to components and capabilities.  Just seems a little boring LOL.  Not sure I will go 100% custom build.....just becuase most factory rifles shoot so well these days.  I like the idea of saving money on a factory rifle and tweaking it to my likes over time. 

Online jasnt

• Predator hunter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Have you looked at bergara rifles?
🐾

"... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes."
Charles R. Swindoll

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »
Have you looked at bergara rifles?

Never really researched them.  Have been looking at these rifles in multiple calibers.....Wby models: 

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 12:22:27 PM »
I would need to get the barrels threaded and a break placed on either of these rifles.  I would also consider the Savage Stealth....but they don't offer a stainless option.  I really want stainless.  I will be dipping my 6.5 stealth this year as the bluing is super prone to rust in wet weather.  I had to carry a WD40 rag in my pack this year while hunting Idaho to keep the surface rust at bay.   :bash: :bash:

Offline mountainman

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
Wow....so many great posts / responses.  I guess I have a lot more research to do.....problem being, everytime I research a caliber, I find 3 more to add to the list.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:   Example:  I am pretty sure I will have to own a 6.5-300wby some day.  My obsession continues to be expensive.  LOLOLOL

Leaning a little more toward the 300 win mag due to components and capabilities.  Just seems a little boring LOL.  Not sure I will go 100% custom build.....just becuase most factory rifles shoot so well these days.  I like the idea of saving money on a factory rifle and tweaking it to my likes over time. 
go buy Mitch Rolen a cup of coffee sometime☺
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »
Also considering the Christensen arms classic stainless.....Anyone have any experience with this rifle? 

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »

go buy Mitch Rolen a cup of coffee sometime☺

I may have to....he does great work.   :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
Also considering the Christensen arms classic stainless.....Anyone have any experience with this rifle?

That would be great for hunting, but if you want to bust rocks way out there you might want the ELR
I should be out hunting lions, thanks WDFW

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »

That would be great for hunting, but if you want to bust rocks way out there you might want the ELR

Not sold on carbon wrapped barrels......not sure why, just don't know alot about them.  I am considering the Mesa Long Range. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
Show love to the carbons.  Cool quicker. Lighter.  Shoot more

Online Duckslayer89

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
Show love to the carbons.  Cool quicker. Lighter.  Shoot more

Gun smith told me the carbon wrap makes it stiffer, so you get the extra stiffness of a bull barrel but without the weight. Who knows if that's all just a theory to sell though but it sounds good if it was true 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »
True !  And stay cooler

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
How durrable are the carbon wrapped barrels?  I'm not rough on my stuff, but heaven forbid someone took a fall in the woods....would the carbon wrap potentially fracture / crack? 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »
How durrable are the carbon wrapped barrels?  I'm not rough on my stuff, but heaven forbid someone took a fall in the woods....would the carbon wrap potentially fracture / crack?
I can't speak to other barrels but the Hells Canyon Armory barrels are tough as they come.  Mike even fluted one just to see if it would stay wrapped and it still shot great.  All carbons are not created equal though
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »

Not sold on carbon wrapped barrels......not sure why, just don't know alot about them.  I am considering the Mesa Long Range. 

@Justin C.  had some input for me on the Christensen Arms guns a while back when I was thinking about one.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline mountainman

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:53 PM »
Carbon is very durable John. Good for normal rate of fire. Had many turned and wrapped by Loomis. Light, stiff, and cool to the touch. But not meant for volumn shooting (auto or rapid fire). R&D on an ar Carbon wrapped barrel literally caught fire after 70 30 round pmags of 5.56 ball was run thru as fast as one can reload and pull the trigger. But, who fires like that normally lol!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
Carbon is very durable John. Good for normal rate of fire. Had many turned and wrapped by Loomis. Light, stiff, and cool to the touch. But not meant for volumn shooting (auto or rapid fire). R&D on an ar Carbon wrapped barrel literally caught fire after 70 30 round pmags of 5.56 ball was run thru as fast as one can reload and pull the trigger. But, who fires like that normally lol!

2100 rounds ????  Would a non-carbon barrel handle that ?

Offline Encore 280

• Sourdough
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »
What about GunWerks or are they all hype? They put the Huskimaw scopes on their long range rigs.I know nothing about them just thought I'd chime in. :dunno:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »
I did some serious research into carbon fiber wrapped barrels. Made some calls to guy well in the "Know" when it comes to Firearms. Here are the facts and why I'm not purchasing one.

When they take the blank and turn it down as far as they do for the carbon wrap process they take allot of steel away. It can be argued that the carbon wrap process stiffens it up again.

WHY DO IT?

Now you take a stainless barrel of the same contour as a carbon wrapped barrel, the stainless barrel will be way stiffer than the carbon wrapped barrel.

Now you put a temperature gauge on the outside of both barrels and fire a 20 shot string through both. Sure the stainless barrel will heat up firston the surface because it conducts heat more efficiently.

The carbon barrel with a heat gauge on the outside of the barrel will take much longer for the carbon wrap o transfer heat to the outside due to its composition.

HERE'S THE CATCH!!!!!

While it may take longer for the heat to make it to the outside temperature gauge of the carbon fiber wrapped barrel, during that 20 shot string you are super HEATING the turned down barrel steel under the carbon. Way more so than a stainless barrel of the same contour as the carbon wrapped barrel.

Heat erodes a barrels throat, barrel life all depends on throat erosion! Period! No and's, if's, what's or But's. It's a fact jack!

Now here is the reality of it all. If you think it's cool, like the look of it. Then your good to go. If you think a carbon fiber barrel will outlast the same contour barrel in steel. Shot for shot when shooting longer stings or when it comes to heat your mistaken.

If your going to shoot a carbon wrapped barrel moderately and not heat that thinner turned down core barrel up, you are good to go.

Next question is:

What's the point of a carbon wrapped barrel if you can't shoot it high volume? Might as well go with a sporter contour standard stainless or CM barrel.

That's why these $800.00 to a $1000.00 carbon wrapped blanks people are getting spun up are going to crap after 200 rounds or so. You can't pound away with them without super heating the core steel and eroding the throat.

Shoot them sainly sure, and your good. Think you can shoot them a bunch and with long strings of sustained fire your sadly mistaken.

I personally watched a new carbon fiber barrel chambered in 25-06 AI get completely roasted/ shot out by a guy on a prairie dog town in two days in less than 400 rounds. Too many rounds , to quick on a thin barrel core. Sure it took a bit for that outside carbon to warm up but that steel core was smoking and the throat was gone!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:53:35 PM by Biggerhammer »
Embrace the hate.....

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2018, 07:47:04 PM »
I did some serious research into carbon fiber wrapped barrels. Made some calls to guy well in the "Know" when it comes to Firearms. Here are the facts and why I'm not purchasing one.

When they take the blank and turn it down as far as they do for the carbon wrap process they take allot of steel away. It can be argued that the carbon wrap process stiffens it up again.

WHY DO IT?

Now you take a stainless barrel of the same contour as a carbon wrapped barrel, the stainless barrel will be way stiffer than the carbon wrapped barrel.

Now you put a temperature gauge on the outside of both barrels and fire a 20 shot string through both. Sure the stainless barrel will heat up firston the surface because it conducts heat more efficiently.

The carbon barrel with a heat gauge on the outside of the barrel will take much longer for the carbon wrap o transfer heat to the outside due to its composition.

HERE'S THE CATCH!!!!!

While it may take longer for the heat to make it to the outside temperature gauge of the carbon fiber wrapped barrel, during that 20 shot string you are super HEATING the turned down barrel steel under the carbon. Way more so than a stainless barrel of the same contour as the carbon wrapped barrel.

Heat erodes a barrels throat, barrel life all depends on throat erosion! Period! No and, it's, what's or But's. It's a fact jack!

Now here is the reality of it all. If you think it's cool, like the look of it. Then your good to go. If you think a carbon fiber barrel will outlast the same contour barrel in steel. Shot for shot when shooting longer stings or when it comes to heat your mistaken.

If your going to shoot a carbon wrapped barrel moderately and not heat that thinner turned down core barrel up, you are good to go.

Next question is:

What's the point of a carbon wrapped barrel if you can't shoot it high volume? Might as well go with a spotter contour standard stainless or CM barrel.

That why theses $800.00 to a $1000.00 carbon wrapped blanks people are getting spun up are going to crap after 200 rounds or so. You can't pound away with them without super beating the core steel and eroding the throat.

Shoot them sainly sure, and your good. Think you can shoot them a bunch and with long strings of sustained fire your sadly mistaken.

I personally watched a new carbon fiber barrel chambered in 25-06 AI get completely roasted/ shot out by a guy on a prairie dog town in two days in less than 400 rounds. Too many rounds , to quick on a thin barrel core. Sure it took a bit for that outside carbon to warm up but that steel core was smoking and the throat was gone!

Read a very similar post on rockslide....I believe....and have ruled out carbon.  The only pro to them is a little bit lighter set up.   If I want to hunt with a light rifle, I wlll carry my kimber mountain ascent.  Thanks for the write up.  :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2018, 07:51:49 PM »
If I were biggerhammer I wouldn't buy one either, most folks who plunk down the $ for a semi custom only zero it, maybe a few more, and then check zero again (maybe) once a year.  that's it, most don't even do a 20 shot break in period.  With the carbon barrel they get a little bit less weight, a temperature stabilized barrel, and a lot of bling factor which is important to some people.

you were so concerned with the heat retention you didn't address a stabilized barrel going from an 80 degree truck cab to a 10 degree weather outside, the carbon will insulate the barrel both ways.  Who cares about the 20th shot when your filling an OIL tag.

and I didn't run off to a google search either   

I should be out hunting lions, thanks WDFW

Offline jrebel

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »
If I were biggerhammer I wouldn't buy one either, most folks who plunk down the $ for a semi custom only zero it, maybe a few more, and then check zero again (maybe) once a year.  that's it, most don't even do a 20 shot break in period.  With the carbon barrel they get a little bit less weight, a temperature stabilized barrel, and a lot of bling factor which is important to some people.

you were so concerned with the heat retention you didn't address a stabilized barrel going from an 80 degree truck cab to a 10 degree weather outside, the carbon will insulate the barrel both ways.  Who cares about the 20th shot when your filling an OIL tag.

and I didn't run off to a google search either

I agree with what you have to say.  I shoot a lot...well alot more than the average shooter.  For example....my 6.5 creedmoore which is a year old has 400-500 rounds down range in load developement and long range practice / learning.  The rifle I am building will likely be shot as much.  I do have some rifles that are lucky to average 20 rounds a year....my safe queens.  But my hunting rifles get a ton of range time....I refuse to be that guy....yeah we all know them....the one that can't hit the broad side of a barn when hunting. 

* Recent Topics

Sled Springs Archery Bull by elkocd
[Today at 01:02:26 PM]

Magpul Pro Rem700 Chassis. by jasnt
[Today at 01:00:57 PM]

Molly coated bullets?? good / bad by fishsticks
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Sako A7 6.5 CM, stainless, roughtech by kodiak 907
[Today at 12:42:32 PM]

UTAH resident hacks the WY Game and Fish Application system. by idahohuntr
[Today at 12:39:08 PM]

Marine mammals now taking more salmon than sport and commercial fishing combined by magnanimous_j
[Today at 12:33:00 PM]

WTS Alumaweld Flat Bottom by J.Brower
[Today at 12:24:42 PM]

Thats a wrap! by Rudy
[Today at 12:18:05 PM]

Outback Canopy for sale (2013 Dodge 1500) by TeacherMan
[Today at 12:00:59 PM]

Goose hunt by HaydenHunter
[Today at 11:37:22 AM]

New Bird gun help by wadu1
[Today at 11:34:35 AM]

Advice and looking for a scope for an AR by nutntoit