collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got a rat problem  (Read 16692 times)

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Got a rat problem
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »
I live in the burbs and everyone around us has chickens now, since the chickens came we now have rats living in the backyard.  I have a humane trap since we have two small dogs that like to eat what gets put in the snap traps.  I'm looking for bait ideas peanut butter no longer seems to work, and they fill up on dog food during the day.  The biggest problem is there is a huge one the size of a chihuahua, yes I'm sure I thought it was our dog when it was pigging out at the food bowl.  Any ideas short of torching the yard or bombing would be helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
Re: Got a rat problem
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:58 AM »
I would first start by removing the free meal and drink that being the dog food and water  you have been leaving out :chuckle: they should begin looking for  another free meal somewhere else.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:53:29 AM by hrd2fnd »
"Believe in your abilities and confidence will lead you on"

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:02:46 AM »
 :dunno:
I would first start by removing the free meal and drink that being the dog food and water  you have been leaving out :chuckle: they should begin looking for  another free meal somewhere else.
unfortunately not a viable solution since the next free meal is 10 feet away at the neighbors chicken coop, or the other neighbors chicken coop, one of  them has a rabbit pen.  Basically there is free food all around and no one cares cause the burrows seem to all be in our yard.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline rushmoody1

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: North American Hunting Club
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:48:17 AM »
Take care of it like Keith Warren Hunting Rats with Gamo Air Rifle | Cluckwork Orange

Offline Sawbuck

• Longhunter
Got a rat problem
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51:08 AM »
Coke, or Pepsi, they love it and can't burp so it doesn't take long. If you continue to have a problem I would hire a pest control guy. On the dairy farms they have these cool boxes that they put the bait in so other animals aren't affected. Must not be to expensive or the farmers wouldn't do it

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »
:dunno:
unfortunately not a viable solution since the next free meal is 10 feet away at the neighbors chicken coop, or the other neighbors chicken coop, one of  them has a rabbit pen.  Basically there is free food all around and no one cares cause the burrows seem to all be in our yard.
Way to shoot down reasonable advice out of hand!  Start by cleaning up your own little slice of heaven.  There's no good reason that you have to leave food out for your rats...errr a dogs.

Offline rynokron

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:02:32 AM »
Bait boxes will help keep the numbers down. Snap traps with peanut butter are pretty effective too. A combo of the two will get the best results. If there is a constant food source you will just have to kill as many as you can. Make sure you foundation is sealed up tight, you don't want them building nests under your house. They will destroy the insulation and chew up wiring. If you can get away with it blast a few with a pellet gun to vent your frustrations!

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:05:59 AM »
We have chickens (not my idea) so we have rats, but not currently. I got rid of them. I killed four in five nights using rat traps (over-sized mouse traps). For bait, I used peanut butter to glue cheddar cheese to the trigger. Other than that, I modified the trap slightly so that it has a dangerously light hair trigger. Just open up the angle by bending the copper latch (the piece that holds the hook) until the trap responds to a pine needle dropping on it. Setting the trap is dangerous work. WATCH YOUR FINGERS! Try screwing the trap to a heavy piece of wood, so you don't have to hold the trap down when you're setting it.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:07:36 AM »
You sure your dog sized rat isn't an opossum?
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Sawbuck

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:02:39 AM »
May want to try and get WDFW to create a "Quality" hunt for your back yard. Thousands will apply, you may have to give some pointers after the draw such as where the trophy rats are, what they eat, when they come out, and many access and parking questions, but it could be the end of your rat problem.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »
Bait boxes. Dogs can't get in them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bradyfc

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 07:23:20 AM »
I have bad rat problems around my chicken coop and I found the best way for me is 22. shot shell. I go out at night and use a red light head lamp. get close because your range is 10 or 15 feet. With the rat traps I couldn't get them to eat peanut butter so I put a little  cracked corn chicken feed in the peanut butter and started catching them in the with the traps a little more often.

Offline sfrenger

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
The only thing better at killing rats than a cat is two cats. Buy some cats and introduce them to the dogs so they don't try to eat the cats. You will be surprised how many animals they will kill. We have two cats and live in the country out in the middle of bfe. We don't have a rodent within a 100 yards of our place. Just be sure to get the cats spayed and/or neutered so they don't wander off to the neighbors house.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
wrap a piece of cotton ball around the little hook on the rat trap trigger and cover that with peanut butter. Their teeth get stuck in the cotton. Also, rats are a health problem. Call the county health department and report an infestation due to the coops.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
The only thing better at killing rats than a cat is two cats.

And the only thing better at killing rats than two cats is a rat terrier.  Understand that a dog is more of a commitment than a couple of barn cats but if you get self-respecting terrier, you'll probably never see another rat.  :twocents:

You will be surprised how many animals they will kill.

To include robins, finches, bunnies and many other non-targets  :dunno:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]