collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post your 2014 birds here!  (Read 26577 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Post your 2014 birds here!
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »
I've been told it is some level of hybrid with Rio.  But I'm no turkey expert. 

Send a PM to Wacenturion.  He's the turkey biologist.  And I think I remember him mentioning on a recent thread that he managed the WA Turkey Program for a while.  I expect he can give you the correct answer!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2014, 07:55:09 AM »
The first gobbler appears to be Rio like in coloration and the second definitely more Merriams like.  The white rump feathers, and to a lesser degree white tail tips are a typical of Merriams.  Buff or tan are typical colors on the same areas of Rio's.  With that being said, there are certainly a wide range of color variations in turkeys, even within a similar areas.

Weight along with what I mentioned above might also give some indication.  Merriam's run slightly larger that Rio's where one is scratching his or her head trying to decide.

I'm guessing you took this birds in Stevens County....what general area?
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline hdshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
The first gobbler appears to be Rio like in coloration and the second definitely more Merriams like.  The white rump feathers, and to a lesser degree white tail tips are a typical of Merriams.  Buff or tan are typical colors on the same areas of Rio's.  With that being said, there are certainly a wide range of color variations in turkeys, even within a similar areas.

Weight along with what I mentioned above might also give some indication.  Merriam's run slightly larger that Rio's where one is scratching his or her head trying to decide.

I'm guessing you took this birds in Stevens County....what general area?

Looking at the map looks like we were on the county line or just off of it.  Both were taking in the same area on two different days but the rio as you explain was bigger in size and beard was a little longer 8 inch.  But The merriam had a smaller beard (have no exact lenght yet) and spurs were close enough to say the same size on both birds but I would give the 1st bird the winnng edge if I had to.  Spurs nothing huge over 1/2 inch I would say.  Rio a year older?  Wish we would of found a way to get their exact weights but the first bird defiantly had more weight than the second bird just by feel.  The first bird we got him later in the morning about 7am with the sun shining bright and he came to the friends hen call with one gobble after another. The 2nd bird got him at 6am, my friend called in a hen and he was following her in full strut but quiet with some drumming.
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »
When I mentioned weight, it's more of an obvious thing.  I'll give an example.  Years ago I shot a hugh jake just north of hunters.  It weighed out at slightly over 18.5 lbs.  Coloration was Merriams, but with that being said it there was some doublt, very few Rio jakes would attain that size.  For the most part most jakes irregardless of subspecies would.  If one had to conclude what that jake might have been if colors were not as obvious, then that weight probably would lead one to a better than 80% correct conclusion.

As you mentioned, the Rio like bird weighed more.  After they mature and are no longer jakes, then weight is less likely to help much, as birds are different ages, different diets, breards can be rubbed shorter by what is present in their particular area that they might drag them on while feeding, etc.

Being you were in southern Stevens near the line, you most likely have representatives of both subspecies, or even some hybridization.  Nice birds by the way....... :tup:

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline drakehntr

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:09 PM »
Filled my 2nd tag.  Worked this guy all weekend and finally got him to slip up on final morning

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
Man some great birds posted here. Makes me even more frustrated I will not be getting out this year. Good job to all the successful hunters and good luck to those still trying. Thanks for posting for the rest of us .

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »
Lots of nice birds! Wish I could get out this year  :'( Goodluck to all that have a chance to hunt this season!
"A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
Shot this tom this morning, central WA 8.5 inch beard 5/8 inch spurs.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
Arrived at our special place the other night. Couldn't roost anything. Next morning, left my boy in bed and set off to listen. An hour later, i called this guy in from my buddies yard.
My boy came out and congratulated me. That evening, went across the neighbors field. The boy says " turkey!".
All i could see was the tail. It looked all right, but no positive verification. The boy says "shoot it, it has a beard."
I couldnt tell, yet. Then it steps around the tree. #2 down!  Time to visit some!

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
Turkey 2 down
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline martin1

• Hunter
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »
Finally was able to get on the board on Sunday! 19.5 pounds with a 9 3/4" beard.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »
Finally was able to get on the board on Sunday! 19.5 pounds with a 9 3/4" beard.

Beautiful bird! Looks like not only is that beard long but dang thick too :tup:  How long were his spurs?
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline martin1

• Hunter
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »

Beautiful bird! Looks like not only is that beard long but dang thick too :tup:  How long were his spurs?

for some reason only had one spur a maybe a half inch long.

Offline irork

• Tracker
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
my 2014 bird

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

May 25, 2014. Called in using my Phelps calls.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal