collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: masterbuilt cold smoker  (Read 2215 times)

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
masterbuilt cold smoker
« on: November 06, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »
Has anyone used the cold smoker attachment, just wondering how many hours of smoke you actually get out of itl.

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: masterbuilt cold smoker
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Looking in to this attachment.. had a brief conversation with a Buddie that had one and he liked it, but looking for more input.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »
Buy an A-Maz-N smoker.  I have both the pellet and sawdust versions.  You can place it in the bottom of your smoker.  Just Experiment with it and you can get smoke cold enough to smoke cheese at any temperature you want.  I use it in my Masterbuilt and my large smoker.  I smoke cheese at 75-80 degrees.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »
I have it, and I get a good 6+ hrs smoking but I haven't tried to run it past that.  I think it's capable of 8.  Now that I've used it a bit there is tar and gunk sticking to the chimney, I think with more use I'll have trouble with chips falling down onto the small element hanging up in the chimney.   I want to see about cleaning it out but haven't needed too yet. 

Installing the thing into the side of the masterbuilt is cheesy, there is a long J hook that you insert into the masterbuilt, but it hooks onto thin wall aluminium and it's easy to crinkle it.  I got it straightened back out and just tossed the J hook in the garbage.  So I added some felt (made for smokers) around the exhaust and I just shove it in there, I adjusted the legs on the side smoker box so the two outside legs are holding the weight and it sort of leans against the masterbuilt.   It works, I have no leaks.   The best way to start it is turn on the masterbuilt and open the outlet fully, this will get a draft going, then turn off the MB and let the smoke box do all the work if you want cold smoke. 

I also use it for hot smoking.

ANother way to do it is called the mail box mod.  You buy a mail box and dryer hose, put the amazn smoker in the mail box and let the smoke go through the dryer vent into the masterbuilt.  I didn't do this, but had I seen it before I bought the side smoker attachment I may have tried it. 

This image was taken off google
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:51:37 PM by KFhunter »

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »
I bought the smoke generator for my Mastercraft because the standard smoker setup was not working for me, it took too much heat to create smoke for most of my recipes. I have been happy with it and can get roughly 6 hours of smoke.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:02:54 PM »
If you want more than 6 hours it's pretty easy to feed more chips in with a funnel without removing the hopper, I've done that and even switched flavors half way through. 

not sure why, I can't tell the different from 3 hours hickory with 1 hour of apple finish but it sounds cool  :chuckle:

"this ham was started off with 60 minutes of pecan then as the ham started tightening up it was bathed in cool hickory smoke for about 6 hours until a nice crust had formed then finished off in a warm apple smoke sauna using apple and pineapple juice to retain moisture"

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 11:03:55 PM »
I have it, and I get a good 6+ hrs smoking but I haven't tried to run it past that.  I think it's capable of 8.  Now that I've used it a bit there is tar and gunk sticking to the chimney, I think with more use I'll have trouble with chips falling down onto the small element hanging up in the chimney.   I want to see about cleaning it out but haven't needed too yet. 

Installing the thing into the side of the masterbuilt is cheesy, there is a long J hook that you insert into the masterbuilt, but it hooks onto thin wall aluminium and it's easy to crinkle it.  I got it straightened back out and just tossed the J hook in the garbage.  So I added some felt (made for smokers) around the exhaust and I just shove it in there, I adjusted the legs on the side smoker box so the two outside legs are holding the weight and it sort of leans against the masterbuilt.   It works, I have no leaks.   The best way to start it is turn on the masterbuilt and open the outlet fully, this will get a draft going, then turn off the MB and let the smoke box do all the work if you want cold smoke. 

I also use it for hot smoking.

ANother way to do it is called the mail box mod.  You buy a mail box and dryer hose, put the amazn smoker in the mail box and let the smoke go through the dryer vent into the masterbuilt.  I didn't do this, but had I seen it before I bought the side smoker attachment I may have tried it. 

This image was taken off google

:tup: might have to try this out.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »
:tup: might have to try this out.

tons of pics and tutorials on youtube, let us know how it works  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics