collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wenaha west archery!!!!!  (Read 23332 times)

Offline nwhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • nwhunter
Re: Wenaha west archery!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
Get the maps from the forest service. They are good ones and cover the whole area. Cant remember if you get them online or call Pomeroy its been a few years since I updated mine. Lots more options in the west than east for sure as far as day hunts. I think that gives you more options to bounce around if you aren't finding what you are looking for move up the road a few miles and hike in another trail system. Don't get me wrong I love the drop camp hunt but if I were in the west and didn't have  a specific bull targeted I would stay mobile.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
I have not hunted it, but mytopo.com allows you to design the map you want, prints it on water resistant paper, folded, for about $14.

Ive got some of those, nice maps!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
Also there is great topo maps you can download for free off a app called Avenza PDF maps

Offline coldsteel3d

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:49 PM »
I just ordered a couple of the forest service maps so I'll see how those turn out. They had two that cover the area, a Pomeroy Ranger district and a Walla Walla Ranger district. Wasn't sure but I ordered the Pomeroy and I also ordered the Wenaha-Tucannon wilderness map.

Offline coldsteel3d

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »
So you guys that have hunted it what's a realistic goal for this hunt? I would love to shoot a 380"+ bull but I was kinda thinking maybe a 360"+ goal would be a little more realistic, what do you guys think?

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 12:38:05 AM »
You say 360 but when a 340 comes in at 30yds screaming I'm guessing he gets an arrow. Most guys get that close to anything around 330 and swear they were over 350 lol

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 01:00:02 AM »
 :yeah: unless you have taken multiple bulls over 330" when a 320" bull walks in screaming at 20 yards most cannot hold off :chuckle:

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 02:45:17 AM »
340 seems awfully big when you are at full draw!  Even when hunting from a blind they look darn big.  I'd say that 75% or more of the 320 - 330 bulls shot the hunter thought they would go over 350 when they pulled the trigger.  I know my biggest bull I saw nothing after seeing the seventh point :yike:  Knew I was going to shoot so I just concentrated for the chest.  Once on the ground I saw the weak thirds and broken twos.  Still happy as a school girl with a new IPhone, but even with seven it didn't make 350.

Here is a cool video on judging elk.  I got most of them wrong!  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7260859CCE2FB904

#1 and #11 I got WAY, WAY wrong! :DOH:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:09:34 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline coldsteel3d

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »
Those are some great videos, I am pretty on for 340" and up, I was within an inch or two but the ones I've always had a problem with, and it holds true with these videos, are the 300"-330" bulls. I'll say 325" and it'll go 302", I'll say 300" and he'll go 330". I guess it doesn't really matter to me what he scores, I just want a bull that makes me freak out when he comes into bow range!

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »
I guess it doesn't really matter to me what he scores, I just want a bull that makes me freak out when he comes into bow range!

That's the one - FLOYIIING!!!!!   :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 02:32:18 PM »
Those two photos I posted earlier are just satellite bulls in the west weneha. Neither of them were with cows.  6x6 that measure 300-330 are every where in there. Bigger than that will be a lot of glassing and boot tread to find but trust me they are in there and attainable.

Offline toyman2

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
I have helped a few guys that were so focused on getting that big one that they ate their tag.
Realistic standards, have them and you will get a nice bull, it is good to dream and hunt hard for the dream bull just don't be so picky you miss out on a nice bull.
Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to hunt, also plan for a rest day within your hunting time.
Plan for the worst, glass a lot, put some miles under those boots. I have hunted the West a lot.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »
Cool videos, thanks for sharing. That's great practice.
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline coldsteel3d

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »
I plan on being there for the entire season and close to a week before hand if need be. If I get done early that's fine but I'll be ready for the whole season.

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
I plan on being there for the entire season and close to a week before hand if need be. If I get done early that's fine but I'll be ready for the whole season.

There are plenty of big bulls,  Sure Set your goal but just have an awesome hunt.. Dude 0nce you start setting expectations your going to psych yourself out..  Ive seen grown men have tears of joy and tears of frustration in the Wenha..   A. Be in Shape..  B.  Be Patient..  C.. Be Patient..  and you will get a nice bull.. Be prepared for the High's and Low's..      ITs hard to hold out..  330 looks big when its close, really big..
Their going down!!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal