collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arrows for kid's new bow  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Arrows for kid's new bow
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
My daughter (11) has been bugging me for a bow for a couple years. I ordered a bear Apprentice III, a youth release, and a case that should all be here before Christmas. She has a 60" wing span. Can I buy arrows now so she has something to shoot, or should I wait and measure? I'm thinking that a little too long would be OK, and maybe even better so she can grow into them. Any advice? I suppose she could shoot a few of my 29"+/- FMJ's, but that might be a little too long.
Thanks
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Arrows for kid's new bow
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:25 PM »
24" draw length at age eleven.  Wow, kids are growing big these days!  I would assume you could get 26" arrows now with no worry.  Almost everything right now will be stiff for her.  So going 26 or even 27 probably will not be an issue.

I think the Beman ICS HUnter Junior shafts come pre-made with inserts installed at 26".  Would be good to at least 40# of draw weight.  It's a pretty good shaft.  I think you can get them at Cabela's for around $37/6.

If you want a bullet proof just to get started arrow go fiberglass.  Something like Easton's Scout II is good for up to 30# and are darn near indestructible.  Come pre-cut and ready at 26".  Not very straight but they work fine to get started.  Think I saw them at Cabela's too - $16/4
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Thanks RAD. At this point I think durability is the key. Well, that and pretty. I imagine more than one arrow is going to miss the straw bales.
Low T Beta Male

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 01:27:08 PM »
Thanks RAD. At this point I think durability is the key. Well, that and pretty. I imagine more than one arrow is going to miss the straw bales.

Don't forget that kids, especially girls, are not consumed with ego.  Instant gratification is far more important.  So start them shooting at large targets at VERY close range.  In those early days of shooting it's important to find success.  Even if it is a beach ball at five yards that's better than missing a pie plate at 10 or searching for lost arrows at 20.

She should be old enough to be trusted with arrows having a sharp pointy end.  Even if you get just a few of those it's a good idea for special times with Dad popping balloons.  Even I like popping balloons on occasion! :whoo:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:19 AM »
In NASP we start out close to a blank target, get them hitting the bail and work on form before you move back and try for accuracy.
It helps build confidence.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:00:16 AM »

Don't forget that kids, especially girls, are not consumed with ego.  Instant gratification is far more important.  So start them shooting at large targets at VERY close range.  In those early days of shooting it's important to find success.  Even if it is a beach ball at five yards that's better than missing a pie plate at 10 or searching for lost arrows at 20.

She should be old enough to be trusted with arrows having a sharp pointy end.  Even if you get just a few of those it's a good idea for special times with Dad popping balloons.  Even I like popping balloons on occasion! :whoo:

Good idea with the balloons. She's a crack shot with her daisy, and we have a little shooting gallery set up at the cabin to keep it fun. Squirrel silhouettes, paper plates, swinging golf balls, etc. I'm getting a few bales of straw from a gal at work for the back yard, and thinking maybe a carpet remnant hanging in the back of the garage? I just need to not try to shoot from distance while she's shooting at 5 yards, or she'll want to move back too. I'm pretty green with a bow, so I could probably do some productive practice at 5-10 yards myself.
Low T Beta Male

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
Well, she was super excited about the bow. I set up a 5 yard range in the garage at the cabin. Block target hanging from ceiling with moving blanket hanging behind it. Backed out the limb bolts to minimum weight, and set draw length, but she was really struggling to pull it back. Then she said her hand hurt from grabbing her release. I think she was squeezing the release instead of letting all the weight rest on her wrist strap. She wanted me to help, which I did. on about the 4th shot, I think my "help" torqued the bow enough that she got some serious string slap. She was not pleased! But hey, it was a bulls eye! Full length arm guard will be here Thursday, and we'll be back at it this weekend.
BTW, where were bows like this when I was little. This thing is awesome.
Low T Beta Male

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]