collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stolen Kill  (Read 40491 times)

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Stolen Kill
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »
That sucks! My hubby had an elk stolen from him- he too had to come home and tell me how he'd shot an elk, but had it taken.
you're not to blame- the Richard that took your elk is to blame! I can't believe there are people who would do that!
Report it and get another tag- so so sorry this happened to you! I hope they choke on it.

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
I just said that, look at page  5 in the hunting regulations. however you should have not left the cow, with out gutting it.period. 
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline Don_D

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
That's a heck of a hard way to learn a lesson on your first animal. Sorry to hear it, I suppose whoever got that cow felt they had a right to it. These days it seems like integrity is in pretty short supply.

Hope you get another tag out of the deal.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
Sorry for your luck, a tough lesson learned.  My buddy had his elk stolen this year in Naneum.  He waited to trail it after the shot, then found a gut pile at the end of the blood trail.  People suck in general, but you expect better from a fellow hunter  :bash:
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 07:15:07 PM »
How did you attach your tag to the elk?
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »
I think Ray knew exactly what he was doing, and knew the area well. Once he saw were the elk went knew he could get to his truck and get it out before you could catch him. He was probably close by watching you until you left, and then went to work on the elk getting gone before you got back.  :twocents:

Was that pic taken from the road?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 08:28:44 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned. But here is solid advice.

Always carry a blank card or business card with you. If you ever have to leave a kill alone for any length of time. Stick this card with your name, number, wild I'd number etc etc with the animal. Tightly roll the card up and slide it into the mouth of the animal. Deep into the cheek. A place you can inform wdfw of. And a place no hunter would really think to look....well until now since I spilled the beans.

Offline hendog

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
The same thing happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago. He tagged & gutted his Cow and went back to his truck to wait for help to get it out. It was in a walk-in only area. When they got back to the Cow it was gone & there were fresh Quad tracks all around were the Cow had been.

He called the Game Warden & he said He had been trying to catch some tweekers who were ridding Quads in the area. He new them by name but, just did not have enough to arrest them. The Game Warden signed my friends tag and said he could continue to hunt. He however never ended up getting another one.

Offline TONTO

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
 In the case of a cow and having to leave it, couldn't you cut out a tooth and take it with you, Not too hard to determin later, if need be, that the tooth in your pocket matches the missing tooth in cow's mouth.

That realy sux though. I would defenatly report the theft though. If your tag was attached and the perp removed it that is theft, hard to say you found a randomly lost elk with a tag attached.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 09:06:32 PM »
I just said that, look at page  5 in the hunting regulations. however you should have not left the cow, with out gutting it.period.
Not a Washington hunter,  but I never gut my animals.   Gutless method only here.   And if I am solo I always go get game bags and the pack frame before I pull the quarters off so I can keep them clean.   

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2016, 09:09:34 PM »
That's pretty low,  I doubt some random dude found your elk and was able to get it out alone before you got back.   Hell,  who can load a whole elk in their truck alone??? I suspect Ray knew he could get it out before you got back and was watching you.   Kudos to you Ray,  now we have even more reasons to not trust our fellow hunters.

Offline Astonb86

• Beginner bowhunter & backpacker
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
How long was it there?   The fact that they took the time to gut it makes me think it was there a little longer then you say. Its possible they felt it was gonna go to waste since you didn't gut it. But they still should of just gutted it and waited.  Sounds like a total d-bag thing to do. But I know I would be really pissed if I came up to an animal tagged in the Fall and not gutted.  I am sorry this happened to you but please be a little more prepared next time.  Your knife should be on you at all times.  Get another tag and learn from your mistakes and go get another.  I doubt it was that RAY guy it was most likely some drunks driving around.
Most definitely, I too believe it was someone else but its possible it was him too. All in all like you say a big part of it was my inability to act and gut and remove her from the woods. I timed my trip from dropping the waypoint and running then driving back took under an 1 1/2. Still a long time in the grand scheme of things.
The easiest day was yesterday

Offline Astonb86

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2016, 09:23:50 PM »
I bet "Ray" stashed the meat in a hidey hole and waited for you to come back to discover the theft then leave again.  Was his truck parked anywhere nearby?  You won't remember the plate but maybe you can remember the make/model/color. 

If anyone else has this happen to them remember to take inventory of vehicle plates if you see some parked behind a locked gate or parking area.  That would help more than anything else other than catching him red handed.   :violent1:
I didnt see any other vehicles once I was up there. I did however see a couple pass by on the way up but there was a network of roads in that area and they could have come from anywhere. Afterwards I did question anyone I saw.

Offline Astonb86

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
He might of seen your cow and knew if he took off. He could get to his rig and when you hiked back that he would be long gone. I always drag off and hide my game If I have to leave it. I also tag, gut, and take lots of pictures to I D it. Little crazy but some people are Big D's Sorry for your loss. Just report it and get a 2nd tag. You didn't bring home a animal. So report the tag a lost.
Most definitely, I did talk to an older hunter down the way. He said something similar, told me he had a bull stolen out of his truck once but now he quarters it and hides it close to the truck until he has the entire thing down. Then he will load it up so he has a good view of his truck.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2016, 10:45:03 PM »
That friggin sucks! And on your first kill at that! Call it in for sure, you never know what can happen.

Don't let it get to you! It's really crappy what happened but stick with it and bring your pack and or knife with you every time! Take a quarter with you back to the truck or camp when you go back for a cart or pack frame.

Hope you can get back out there and get one to take home!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal