collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Shot, Multiple Kills  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
One Shot, Multiple Kills
« on: October 03, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
About 12 years I was hunting in Eastern Montana with (5) locals. One guy didn't bring much ammo and could harvest (2) mule deer does, one whitetail doe and a buck of either species. On an evening drive we saw a large herd of does about 50 yards off the road (uphill). The local lined two of them up and with one shot hit the first through the neck and the other in the heart.

Anyone else have an opportunity to try one of these shots before? Were you successful?
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline 50CalJim

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • 5th yr in a row I've drawn a Special Permit.
Re: One Shot, Multiple Kills
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 08:20:49 PM »
Well I wasn't there on that trip but it sounds like a Freddy G story. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 08:49:55 PM »
Its very common on Georgia wild hogs. Ive done it several times. The first time it was a total accident. I shot a 100 pound pig with a 180g 300 win mag at about 30 yards and found he had a friend laying with him when I walked up. There were 30 in the group. After that Id try to do it every time. Once I got close to a herd...first Id look for a huge boar..if they were all 150 pounds and under...then multiples were the next option. Id line up two and take em. best I ever did was one herd... 10 seconds... 30-40 hogs... 3 shots... 4 dead hogs. Ill take it!

I killed 7 at one time before but that was just quick shooting 15 rounds of 9mm from my beretta 92F. aimed shots not spraying but a 9mm often meant follow up shots needed. In GA a 9mm was legal for small game before 2000...and is legal for big game now. So Ive killed deer and pigs with a 9mm pistol legally! But none of that 7 were 2 pigs with one shot.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »
I was trying to forget this, since the nightmares have now passed....

Just this last year, I had two 4x4 muleys in front of me at 80 yards. They were standing broadside to me, shoulders alligned, literally ribcage to ribcage, the rear one looking over the back of the other. I had seen these two bucks earlier pre-dawn, and had tracked them into standing deadwood. They knew I was there. I finally found them with my binos. Pull the rifle up, and on 3power I could not locate them with my scope. Oh my god...raise the binos-there they are! Lower and raise the scope-can't find them...too many dead trees, millions of damned burned deadwood, could not locate them.... Bino's again...there they are....

Finally, after a minute, just as I found them in the scope, they moved off and were gone forever.....

I was shooting a 300 RUM and I knew I would have filled two tags at the time.... legal or not... we had three tags in camp...

The dreams had gone until now....

Thanks for making me remember...  :'(
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
About 15 years ago I was bow hunting blacktails.It was opening day and I spotted two nice bucks and a doe on the edge of a meadow heading back to the timber. I was able to circle around through the timber and wait as they approached my way.The woods were fairly dark as the deer came into range.The lead deer a big 3point offered the best broadside shot at about 18 yards,with the smaller 2point and doe behind him.I never gave any thought of the arrow zipping through him and out the other side,but it did.I wasn't even sure I hit him until I found a few specks of blood.I found him a short while later about 30 yards away with a hole through both lungs.
Never did find the arrow and later that day as I thought about what happened I'm almost positive the arrow zipped through him and hit the doe.She was right behind him and ran off after the shot with her ears drooping.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline EMPyre

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:22:20 AM »
I wasn't on deer but...
I took two ruffed grouse on a single shot a couple of weeks back.  I didn't even see the second bird.  The first flushed and I took a shot as he was coming down across the skid.  He hit and as he started to lfap around a second grouse started flapping across the skid too!  My hunting partner was pretty impressed, these were the first two birds we had taken that day after missing a couple earlier.

My Grandad has told me stories of Quail hunting in E. Wa with his Father in the 50's and 60's and of getting an entire daily bag (for each of them) in a single shot (well a single from him and his dad each, simultaeous shots) keep in mind I think he said the bag was 15 birds each in those days!
Erich with an H

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »
I almost forgot that I did get a limit of seven ducks in one shot before.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:06:52 AM »
Thats called fate Iceman.  God was watching over you because what you were about to do is HIGHLY ILLEGAL, and Unethical. 

I've killed two crows and seven magpies before with on shot.  They were lined up down the fence and I had just enough angle on them.  Many...many years ago.  I hoped to get maybe two of them.  I pulled the trigger and birds dropped on each side of the fence.

Shadow Cat

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »
 have not done it on big game, but have nailed a number of birds and rabbits with one shot. My grandpa taught me to wait until the angle changed to line up multiple birds to save shells. My mom told me a story about him when he was in his teens in Texas nailing 2 bucks with one shot. I would have loved to see that shot! This was during the depression era when he was growing up.

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
Agree Bone, Illegal and Unethical.................

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »
2 with one shot is called a 2'fer

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »
SCORE!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 08:38:37 PM »
Many years ago I nailed 2 blacktails with one shot from my 30-30.  I spotted 2 bucks, a weird 3 pt and a spike up a steep hill above Spider lake.  I waited for the spike to move away and shot the 3 pt in the neck just behind the head.  He dropped like a sack of crap.  It took me a while to get up to it due to the knee deep ferns, sallal and sliding 3 steps backward for every 3 steps forward.  I finally got up to the bench where he had been and found a spike laying down with a hole right behind his head.  I couldn't figure out what had happened.  I let the spike get 40 yards or more away from the 3 pt before I shot.  As I stood scratching my head, I noticed about 20 yards away the 3 pt laying dead as a fart.  It turned out that there was a second spike standing directly behind the 3 pt and I couldn't see him due to the brush.  I cleaned them out, drug them both back to my rig and headed for the closest phone in Matlock to call the game cops.  What made the situation worse is that I shot them in a 2 pt or better area (636).  I met up with a game cop in Shelton and he asked if I knew anyone with an open tag.  I told him that I had been hunting with a buddy for a week and he had left that morning to go home empty handed.  So I wound up calling and catching my buddy at his sisters place in Tacoma, he turned around and met myself and the game cop in Shelton, tagged the buck for a different unit and was sent on our way.  I was supprised that I didn't get a ticket and even more stunned that he let my buddy tag it and yard it home.  There are (or were) some cool game cops out there.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
I dont think I would turn myself in nowadays. They would hang ya out to dry! Stuff happens.

Offline cipryan

• Tracker
  • The Mighty Milk River
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
A few years ago I was duck and goose hunting on the Missouri in Northeast Montana.  My buddy and I decided to jump shoot are way to the blind since we got a late start.  At our first spot a big bend in the Missouri, we jumped a flock of 5,000 or more.  It was so loud working our way to the bank of the river.  We jumped them off the water and I took down one mallard and so did my buddy and as we prepared to go for our second one, my buddy said stop and I looked in the water and there were 8 green heads and 6 hens.  We had to run in the river and get soaking wet because it was to much work for the one dog.  But it made a short day out of it.  One shot, filled my limit. 
Tell me how many pieces of flair you want me to wear.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]