collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Broadheads  (Read 28272 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Broadheads
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
Thats actually why I bought the eberstock pack for when I was in Alaska hunting moose.  I felt a little naked with 2,000 pound brown bears running around me with my stick bow.  I felt much more confident with it when I ran into that sow and cubs and she charged me a couple times, with a hair trigger 180 grain ready to send her direction if she ever decided to come through with any of her threats.  You will see alot more moose being taken with a bow as it becomes more popular, and as calling catches on. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »
if given the opportunity, i'd do it with the bow...it would just take someone to kick me in the arse to get it done. and a whole lot more learning/practicing i guess.
and yes...if i was where you were, myself and my hunting buddys would be accompanied by mr. 180 grain.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
Jack and Bone, if I were hunting AK with my bow for bears, I would certainly be packing my Ruger Aksakan in 454casull on my hip, don't blame you a bit for having Mr 18ogr with you bone when you were there.  I'll probably be packing that pistol while on my buddies Moose hunt here in WA. as well, as I hate walking around in the woods feeling nekkid :chuckle:  I am simply hoping he takes a good Shiras that he will be very happy with, if he chooses to go with a rifle only, than I will still be very happy with a hind quarter strapped to my back as we head for camp and a cold one! 
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Shadow Cat

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »
I shoot the Modoc Warrior in 125gr. They are probably one of the most accurate broadheads I have ever shot. I used to shoot Thunderheads and loved them. Thes beat them hands down. I found this link about them. The guy was shooting at 190gr weight.

http://www.huntingforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6331

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »
I'll have to check them out Shadow.

No matter what he shoots it with Goldtip, it will be a trophy of a lifetime.  Just fair warning, that moose hunting is an addictive hobby.  That Washington moose of mine has cost me alot of money so far. ;)

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »
Bone, it was already getting expensive before he drew the tag!  The two of us have an upcoming hunt in 2008 for Moose North of Grand Prairie, AB which we have been paying for already!  I suppose having a little more experience and my own Moose call may be helpful however when we head up there next fall.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 04:58:45 PM »
I thought about telling him I'd pack his rifle for him if things got hinky and a good bull hung up then he could shoot with his rifle, but I'm not sure what the F&G boys would think about that if they saw us walking through the woods, unless he was packing his own rifle.  Opening week there is no season open to justify me packing a rifle.

What state? Washington should have a bear season open at that time. It is unfortunate that we have to feel uncomfortable in a situation like this. As long as it is not loaded while you are carrying it I would think you should be fine, but I don't write the tickets.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 01:15:57 PM »
Heck, I never thought about bears Billy, I have a bear tag and may get a chance at a bear while Moose hunting.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 01:35:37 PM »
There are a frickin ton of bears in the Huckleberry too.  Mostly blackies, but some dandies.

Offline Hoytshooter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
I like the Tightpoint Shuttle T locks.  AWESOME, harvested 3 animals last year and they work and fly great :chuckle:

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »
I shoot Slick Tricks.  I've used Muzzy, Thunderheads, expandables (out of state), Satellite, American/buckmasters, etc.  I know for a fact they all kill animals just fine.  However, the Slick Tricks are the only broadheads I have ever used besides expandables that hit exactly where my field points do.  The type of broadhead is overrated in my book, kind of like what cartridge is best...  Just put a sharp broadhead or bullet in the kill zone, no matter what type of bow, gun, or cartridge is powering it, and it will kill. 

The guys over at The Nock Point have set me up a few years ago.  This is one setup I won't change for a long while:  carbon arrow, slick tricks, and 4 short Blazer vanes.  Plus, it's nice to have a field point or two in your quiver that is sighted in that you can shoot a grouse or stump shoot.  I'm not into tinkering with bow setups.  I want to screw them in, and go hunting.  I'm not into practicing archery every day and tuning the broadheads like I use to have to do.  I got a family and other things I like to do these days.  The simplicity and effectiveness of this setup works for me.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 09:06:49 AM »
I was gratiously given some nice bear broadheads. They look something like this below. I removed the bleeder blades. Will see if I can get a chance to field test them this year.

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »
I use three different types of mechanical broadheads, which are legal here in maryland. I use eastman 3 blade 100 grain, also allen three blade, and NAP Spitfires. The first year I bow hunted here in Maryland I shot a doe at 8 yards with 100 grian three blade muzzy and there was no blood and the arrow wnet about 8 inches and I never found that doe, I looked for 2 days bu never found her, the next day I went and bought some mechanicals and I have never lost a deer with them. To bad they are not legal to use in Washington state.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2007, 06:05:30 PM »

Offline WonkyWapiti

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 02:07:12 AM »
I also use Wac'Em's.