collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Carp shooting  (Read 12681 times)

Offline Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Carp shooting
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
Maybe a dumb question but educate me... I live in Moses lake and there are many carp shooters... What do you do with the carp? Bury them?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Carp shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »
Most people fillet and release... that said our Archery club had a carp fish fry on our last carp shoot trip on potholes. We deep fried them kinda like catfish.  I wouldn't say they were bad, but I also wouldn't  say they are great. Will I eat carp? Sure. Would I bust out the carpet to impress my friends? No, especially when we have salmon, halibut and walleye.  I found the carpet to be a firm white fish with mediocre flavor. I would rate its flavor between a tilapia and seabass. I might be more inclined to eat it if there weren't as many pesky Y bones that just float in the meat. They aren't like the pin bones in salmon that you can pull prior to cooking.

I have heard they make great crab bait and fertilizer for the garden.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline cbond3318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:16:29 PM »
Most get tossed right back in the water. They can be used for fertilizer , at the tournaments I believe a guy takes the haul for Crawfish Bait.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
I heard some second hand info that it was illegal to throw them back cause they're an invasive species :dunno: Anyone know if there is any truth to that? We have always tossed them back. We shoot some that have scars on them from being shot from prior years.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
I heard some second hand info that it was illegal to throw them back cause they're an invasive species :dunno: Anyone know if there is any truth to that? We have always tossed them back. We shoot some that have scars on them from being shot from prior years.

I've never heard that but, for clarity, they should be dead when thrown back.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »
I heard that you were supposed to throw them up on the bank not back in the water.  I don't have anything official on that it was just a rumor I heard from someone.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
I heard that you were supposed to throw them up on the bank not back in the water.  I don't have anything official on that it was just a rumor I heard from someone.

I haven't heard that either, I guess I am an unaware of any rule regarding disposal.
I would advise against tossing on the shore though as it will cause issue with people using the shoreline and having to encounter rotting fish.

Slit and sink is the preferred method. 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
I found this on the WDFW site.  Nothing about disposal, it does say to only take what you will use.  I wonder if it would be considered wasteful throwing them back.  Could you imagine getting a ticket for wasting carp?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/Species/893/
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »
Since carp shooting happens during spawning they are not in prime eating condition during that time.  Catch them on rod and reel during winter months and they are not so bad.  Eating during spawning is sorta like eating fishy mud cakes.

Back when Bone and I did the competition shooting most shoots would donate the carp to a cat food manufacturer.  Not sure if it was Purina or some other outfit.

When we were really small kids and would shoot suckers we had a lady down the street that would give us $0.50 a piece.  She made some sort of stinky liquid fertilizer out of them.  Remember walking through her tomato garden and fascinated at how big the plants were and how many tomatoes she would grow.  Anyone in the neighborhood who wanted stewed tomatoes or salsa for dinner would head over to her house and buy them from her by the large Mason jar.  So much better than store bought!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »
I found this on the WDFW site.  Nothing about disposal, it does say to only take what you will use.  I wonder if it would be considered wasteful throwing them back.  Could you imagine getting a ticket for wasting carp?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/Species/893/

Good find, I haven't come across that before.

Yeah that would be pretty ridiculous. You could literally shoot all day everyday during the spawn and not see an impact. You can see the larger fish in certain areas get shot out but quantity doesn't seem to be impacted.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »
I was told slice and sink. So they don't float back up. Also talked to a game warden about wastage,  he had a good laugh at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »
I was told slice and sink. So they don't float back up. Also talked to a game warden about wastage,  he had a good laugh at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NO its fillet and release!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 03:51:34 PM »
they used to be my bear bait  >:(

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »
Reach in and snip the gills with a pair of scissors.  That way you know you won't have to shoot them next year.

Offline Stickers

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Here's the official word.......We (Wahshington Bowfishing Association) has been working with WDFW for the last 7 years on removing more and more carp from our waterways. If you can use the fish, please do, we encourage that. Whether you eat them, use them for bait (crawfish, catfish, sturgeon, crab), or add them to your garden. If you cannot.....please keep shooting them. We (with WDFWs support) recommend always keeping a barrel in you boat. It is bad publicity to shoot a fish and throw it right back into the water. Plenty of people in the community will not understand why you would harvest a fish if you do not intend to keep it. Please place all of your fish in your barrel until you are done for the day. Take a picture, and then move yourself out to 15-20 feet of water, or to your favorite catfish hole, away from other boaters. Slice the Fish from vent to gills. This should pop the air bladder and allow the fish to sink.

There is no violation for waste, since there is no monetary value for the fish. Carp stir up the mud, eating roots and crustaceans, thus suffocating the eggs of other fish species. They also account for the loss of wetlands and forage for waterfowl.

PLEASE...do not leave them on the bank, next to a boat ramp, or floating on the water. This gives our sport a black eye and devalues the work we do. Coyotes and birds do not need the food. The reason why WDFW recommends the method of "slice and sink" is due to the fact that the nutrients is returned to the river system to support the freshwater ecosystem.

Scott Estes
Past President of the Washington Bowfishing Associaiton
Bowfishing Association of America State Representative

Scott Estes

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]