collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Baiting deer rules  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: Baiting deer rules
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
Good stuff Buckfvr  :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
Your constant activity at a bait site makes it and you predictable.  This may not affect does, but it sure as heck affects bucks.  Cliche as it may sound, there is "baiting", and there is "baiting".  One works, the other not so much.  You pretty much cant miss with does and the young bucks who hang with them until its time to breed, but if its say 3 1/2 year old or older bucks you are hunting, (the older the harder), then there are several other tricks you better have up your sleeve as well.

Never cut the strings on falfa......make them work for it.  Bagged feed should be spread in a some what large area preferably in tall grass, again make them work for it.  Placing bait in piles just ensures you have to add to it each day/night which equals too much human activity on the bait site.  Dont trap yourself in your stand with your bait placement.  Plan your use of bait AND OR scent to put your target deer in THE spot you have selected for your shot, preferably so you do not have to stand and or turn, just draw and shoot.  These suggestions do work but keep in mind its about keeping feeding does near your site in hopes of a visit by a buck, not waiting for a buck to come in and feed.

Oh ya, and be sure to practice scent control AND hunt the wind, and if you get busted in your stand, gig is up, hope you have another stand hung.

I agree with all this. One thing I started doing that helped was I built a covered pipe system that I strapped to a tree that would gravity release wet cob. It helped keep the feed fresh and more attractive. That is another benefit of keeping bales with strings not cut is that it helps keep it fresh when it rains/snows.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
Do you just get the wet cob at your local feed store? And if you do is that what they call it or do they sell it called something else? Can’t seem to find it

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 11:33:02 AM »
Do you just get the wet cob at your local feed store? And if you do is that what they call it or do they sell it called something else? Can’t seem to find it

Correct. I get mine in bags at Coastal Farm and Ranch here in town.

https://www.coastalcountry.com/products/pet-animal/equine/feed-treats/wet-cob-50-lb-bag-nufe95270

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »

Yes wet cob can be bought at most feed stores user that exact name.  Wet cob will mold in wet or hot areas and the animals will not eat it at that point.   

I find that whole corn is a better option for deer.   They love it and it does not attract bear. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 11:48:08 AM »

Yes wet cob can be bought at most feed stores user that exact name.  Wet cob will mold in wet or hot areas and the animals will not eat it at that point.   

I find that whole corn is a better option for deer.   They love it and it does not attract bear.

This is why I used the pipe attached to the tree to store it. Keeps it dry and as the stuff on the ground gets eaten, more trickles out. I haven't had any bears using it yet but the turkeys will hammer it

Offline NitRally

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »
So could you use a salt lick provided its "10 gallons"?

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 12:27:02 PM »
So could you use a salt lick provided its "10 gallons"?

Yes.  You can use salt.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »

This has been my experience with Wet Cob as well.  They nibble at it for a couple of days, then it gets gross and they won't touch it.  I have better luck with Garbonzo Beans (dried chick peas)

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 10:32:27 PM »
I have many mature bucks come to a bait site, in last 20 min of shooting hours when I want them to. Or during the rut. The key is to keep the breed-able doe’s happy, and the big bucks follow.

Some stands I place on major transition trails, or bait locations, so this time of year, I will use some doe in heat in the morning and sit that eve. I know and they know it is way to early. But the Grey Ghost is a curious critter. He will get up earlier to check things out
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 10:49:33 PM »
I have many mature bucks come to a bait site, in last 20 min of shooting hours when I want them to. Or during the rut. The key is to keep the breed-able doe’s happy, and the big bucks follow.

Some stands I place on major transition trails, or bait locations, so this time of year, I will use some doe in heat in the morning and sit that eve. I know and they know it is way to early. But the Grey Ghost is a curious critter. He will get up earlier to check things out

I've gotten mature bucks at my apples placed out, but Decatur is definitely different from the norm as far as deer behavior.  After reading a thread about what do you do if you need to pee on stand, I peed next to the apples at one of my sites and had absolutely no reaction by the deer eating the apples there. I've taken bites of apples and then thrown them to a deer just to watch it eat the rest as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal