collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's in your pack?  (Read 6787 times)

Offline J.Brower

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
What's in your pack?
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:05:16 PM »
Alright guys, it's about that time for me to start getting my pack filled up for the year. What are the things that you don't leave camp or your rig without in your pack? Other than the obvious, knives, rope, water, snacks, first aid, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: What's in your pack?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
Are we day hunting or backpack hunting?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline J.Brower

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »
Are we day hunting or backpack hunting?
Just day pack wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »
Electrical tape
Baby powder
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
My day pack (X2) is packed for the worse case scenario, 72 oz camel back, drag line.
On outside of pack, Leatherman Wave, fix blade Browning knife attached by zip ties, with a Blackhawk Serpa holster with my XD 40 on the belt, and GPS on shoulder strap.
Inside, first aid kit, emergency blanket, various survival gear (glow sticks, whistle, quick clot, small roll duct tape, Black Talon 5 mil nitrile gloves etc....) Shooting sticks in side packet, batteries, two or more lighters in ziplock baggies in different pockets, flash light w/red filter and headlamp.
Small roll of day glow pink tape. One of my Motorola radios (the other is in the truck).
Gloves, emergency food (breakfast  bars, trail mix, Fritos, they make great fire starter), lunch (jerky, beef sticks, sandwiches, cookies, etc.). Extra Dry-fit tee shirt, sox.
When elk hunting I add grunt calls and bone saw.
I leave my pack full, and refill anything I use every day. I store my hunting pack in our tornado shelter as a SHTF pack as well.
Total weight packed 21-25 lbs. including handgun, give or take depending on how much food I pack.  :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
Fire starter
Spot located
Whistle
Therma cell
Rhino

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
My day pack (X2) is packed for the worse case scenario, 72 oz camel back, drag line.
On outside of pack, Leatherman Wave, fix blade Browning knife attached by zip ties, with a Blackhawk Serpa holster with my XD 40 on the belt, and GPS on shoulder strap.
Inside, first aid kit, emergency blanket, various survival gear (glow sticks, whistle, quick clot, small roll duct tape, Black Talon 5 mil nitrile gloves etc....) Shooting sticks in side packet, batteries, two or more lighters in ziplock baggies in different pockets, flash light w/red filter and headlamp.
Small roll of day glow pink tape. One of my Motorola radios (the other is in the truck).
Gloves, emergency food (breakfast  bars, trail mix, Fritos, they make great fire starter), lunch (jerky, beef sticks, sandwiches, cookies, etc.). Extra Dry-fit tee shirt, sox.
I leave my pack full, and refill anything I use every day. I store my hunting pack in our tornado shelter as a SHTF pack as well.
Total weight packed 21-25 lbs. including handgun, give or take depending on how much food I pack.  :chuckle:
where do you get the quick clot?what is the name brand or whatever,i never thought about that one before.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »

Throw in a sleeping bag, tent, and pad and this is what I take for a week.  :)

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »

Throw in a sleeping bag, tent, and pad and this is what I take for a week.  :)

I have a bag with similar,but sometimes I just don't feel like taking it.sometimes on day hunts its gun,ammo and knife ,water ,peanut butter bars that's it.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline TommyGun496

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »

My pack is very similar to yours...I am always ready for something bad.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »
Det cord and beer

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
Selkirk Mountain Gear 9'x6' Solo Tarp.  Weighs about 8 oz and packs up like a Mountain Dew can.   Absolutely never leave without it.  Shade / Shelter when glassing etc...  Plus works great for covering meat, emergency bivy, boning onto, etc...

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
Det cord and beer
for the times you need a tree down now  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
Det cord and beer

You are welcome in my deer camp anytime. Det cord makes for quick firewood, LOL.
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
where do you get the quick clot?what is the name brand or whatever,i never thought about that one before.

I got my last pack from REI, Amazon has them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=quick-clot&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177849904075&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14116876453720050698&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026183&hvtargid=kwd-44315989050&ref=pd_sl_9rbl8o4sfz_e

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »

I'm with you always prepared just in case and I seem to have luck of finding someone in need of help and thanks for the link added the quick clot to my pack cause that's a must have I never thought of

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
I will pack my pack if I bring my kids or wife just for some comfort,but I will say I have packed out bear and deer with my belt ,pants falling down the whole way,taken my boot lace off for rope,and wipe my butt with a sock ,some people can make do ,others gotta pack 25 pounds of stuff nothing wrong with that.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
:chuckle:
I will pack my pack if I bring my kids or wife just for some comfort,but I will say I have packed out bear and deer with my belt ,pants falling down the whole way,taken my boot lace off for rope,and wipe my butt with a sock ,some people can make do ,others gotta pack 25 pounds of stuff nothing wrong with that.

Wow you better leave your boots out on the porch.  :chuckle:

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 09:07:35 PM »

That is what sleeves and shirt hems are for  :chuckle:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »

That is what sleeves and shirt hems are for  :chuckle:
I've cut off a few shirt pockets too,but I don't put the sock back on ,sock stays in the woods after that ,bare foot in the boot,sometimes I two pairs of socks on just for this reason ,one shirt pocket just doesn't leave me clean. :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline J.Brower

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »
Good lists so far guys! Definitely some more things to add to mine for the year as well.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
In addition to some already listed:
Headlamp
spare batteries for GPS and headlamp
disposable painter's tarp
game bags
flagging tape
wet wipes
rattail rasp and shoe polish for making true spikes  :sry:
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
Headlamp
game bags
flagging tape
wet wipes

Lol

While deer hunting, don't forget the extra 1" antler points and epoxy.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
Headlamp
game bags
flagging tape
wet wipes

Lol

While deer hunting, don't forget the extra 1" antler points and epoxy.

+ a lawyer on retainer

My rock,
Psalm 144.1

Offline J.Brower

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
Figured I’d resurrect this one and see if anyone has added anything new this year, always good to learn about new gear!

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
Ultra lite tarp , good for glassing in  the rain or snow , when you butcher an animal nice place to throw clean meat , also on a none bad weather day works as a butt pad glassing . Mine weighs next to nothing never leaves pack , if it's bloody I wash it

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »
I have a new USB rechargeable headlamp this year.  For under $20, I can turn the night into day - pretty crazy what is available these days.  I have an old Petzl in the garage with the 4 AA battery pack in the back that is about 3.2 candlepower and I remember thinking how sweet that thing was.  There was even a hidden spot for an extra bulb.

Offline 7mm Bob

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
Three sharp knives (all gifts and I don't want anyone offended that I wouldn't carry a knife they bought me besides I love to switch when one gets even a little dull), hacksaw (I prefer this to split brisket and pelvis), binos, chunk of twine (makes gutting solo much easier when you can tie a leg down), water & lunch.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2019, 07:48:42 PM »
Added a pack rain cover to my load out. It rained so hard one of the days in the field
Everything in my pack was literally floating in water. Not doing that again.
Ultra lite tarp , good for glassing in  the rain or snow , when you butcher an animal nice place to throw clean meat , also on a none bad weather day works as a butt pad glassing . Mine weighs next to nothing never leaves pack , if it's bloody I wash it
Can you give us any additional information on the ultra light tarp. I carry a small old school blue tarp but would consider an upgrade.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »
Added a pack rain cover to my load out. It rained so hard one of the days in the field
Can you give us any additional information on the ultra light tarp. I carry a small old school blue tarp but would consider an upgrade.
Something like this I have had for 5 seasons or so
Terra Hiker Camping Tarp, Water Proof Picnic Mat, Mutifunctional Tent Footprint with Drawstring Carrying Bag for Picnic, Hiking (Dark Green 94" x 86") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ0BLPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0z7TDbPB468RP

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »

Terra Hiker Camping Tarp, Water Proof Picnic Mat, Mutifunctional Tent Footprint with Drawstring Carrying Bag for Picnic, Hiking (Dark Green 94" x 86") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ0BLPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0z7TDbPB468RP

Just ordered one. Thank You
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »

You won't regret it  super helpful piece of gear

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »

Walmart carry’s something similar to the one linked, 9 or 10 dollars and it’s pretty light. 5x7 i think

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
Hopefully a deer heart on Friday.  ;)
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
Counter impulse item at Sportsmans Warehouse was "Pyro Putty" firestarter and USB Lighter for $10.  Works well, maybe better than tube of  firestarter.   

Offline powderbounder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 07:44:17 AM »
Survival drinking straw. PB

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal