collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter Education Field Skills Training  (Read 7017 times)

Offline 101521

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Hunter Education Field Skills Training
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »
Hi all, I'm sure this has been posted in the past but I can't find it. My daughter recently completed the online testing and passed the test and now we move onto the Field skills testing.  Question I have for you all, or instructors, is I see some are at locations such as Sportsman Warehouse/Bass Pro and others at gun clubs.  I assume it's safe to say then there is no shooting, just the demonstration of safe handling skills of a firearm? Do we bring our own or do they have them provided? Also, will she have to take another written exam/quiz or is it just the demonstration of safe skills? Any help/insight would be appreciated. She's a sharp young lady, but VERY shy so I will of course be there with her but is she going to be "put on the spot" or anything like that. Exciting times for sure and just want to make it as easy and laid back for her as possible while teaching re-enforcing the importance of firearm safety. Thanks for reading.

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Hunter Education Field Skills Training
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:28:38 AM »
Definitely don't bring a firearm, they aren't allowed.
Yes there is a written test 20ish questions.
There will be firearms with practice ammunition at the class.
This is my experience from having completed mine via online class and field skills class 2 months ago
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:43:52 AM »
When my daughter did it. They went back over the materials briefly for a few hours. Then it was hands on and they brought everyone outside and had little obstacles set up. Like a pipe that was suppose to be a log and you had to show what to do by crossing it or a fence. Then they had decoys set up and asked if you had a clean shot and why you think that. Very good class out of amboy  :tup: then they brought everyone inside and gave them a written test. They asked the younger kids if they needed help they brought them into a different room then adults. Help as in if they needed a question reworded for them so they could understand it. Again this was in amboy and it was a very productive class.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
 :yeah:
More specifically mine was in issaquah.
Started with about a couple hours worth of informational videos about hunter safety to help "remind you what you learned online" then it was the written test. 20 questions. Then we all went outside, the first objective was to safely remove a firearm from a vehicle (the back of a truck) and then tell the instructor what caliber the gun is that you got and load it with dummy ammo. Then in groups of 2-5 we "went on a hunt " for me it was just me and the father in law. We decided first where our zones of fire would be (who gets the middle shot in front of us etc). Then we started walking while using an appropriate type of carry position with the firearm. There were lots of decoys every few stops we'd stop he would say which of you would take this shot? Is it safe? Is it ethical? Why, why not. There was a small fence with pvc tubes to climb over and exhibit safely crossing a fence. Then more decoy scenarios.
The entire time had to control the muzzle otherwise it's a fail, no exceptions. Everyone passed! There were 2 young brothers about 10 and 12 and they did great as anyone else

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 07:14:37 AM »
Some places have a live fire but it isn't required to pass. Usually the parents are asked to stay behind during the field course.
Good luck to her!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline dfresh96

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »
im taking my son to the field class @Renton gun club on the 28th...thanks for all the info... 
Go Hawks

Spot & Stalk

Trust ur Camo

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
From my experience, the field test was held at a range. There was live fire. Some of the instructors will put students on the spot, but they didn't seem to be hard on shy kids. They may try to test them by handing them ammunition that is not correct, e.g. handing a 12 gauge shell to someone with a 20 gauge shotgun. Just remind them to be slow and cautious and they'll do great! Good luck

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
im taking my son to the field class @Renton gun club on the 28th...thanks for all the info...
I'll be one of the instructors at that class, see you there.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »
Some places have a live fire but it isn't required to pass. Usually the parents are asked to stay behind during the field course.
Good luck to her!

Isn't this only for the ones that do the in person class? I heard that the online never has live fire and I thought I read that while taking the online course too?  :dunno:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
I just went through this with my daughter 2 weeks ago.  Our course had required live fire.  Per rcw it does not state that life fire is a required skill to pass.  However in the hunter ed booklet it states on page one that instructors have the autonomy to require additional skills in order to pass. Our particular class was three rounds of shotgun and three rounds of rifle. Neither of the state guns came even close to fitting my daughter but they still required her to fire them. The instructors were very good at helping her though and it was a positive experience. Personally I don't think anyone has any business forcing someone to discharge a weapon but it is what it is
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
I don't like that either :yeah:    Im glad the instructors were  8)

Offline dfresh96

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
I'll be one of the instructors at that class, see you there.
right on & see you there Rainier10
Go Hawks

Spot & Stalk

Trust ur Camo

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
Correct ammo for firearm
Break actions make sure you look in barrel for obstruction before loading
Action open
The biggest of all is muzzle control.
She will do great ,no worry man :tup:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline AROTTY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »
I just went through this with my daughter 2 weeks ago.  Our course had required live fire.  Per rcw it does not state that life fire is a required skill to pass.  However in the hunter ed booklet it states on page one that instructors have the autonomy to require additional skills in order to pass. Our particular class was three rounds of shotgun and three rounds of rifle. Neither of the state guns came even close to fitting my daughter but they still required her to fire them. The instructors were very good at helping her though and it was a positive experience. Personally I don't think anyone has any business forcing someone to discharge a weapon but it is what it is

The instructors are wrong.  A prohibited person can pass hunter ed with a bow and not be made to commit a crime.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »

The instructors are wrong.  A prohibited person can pass hunter ed with a bow and not be made to commit a crime.
well that obviously goes without saying and they state that at the beginning of the course :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw