collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New pistol advice  (Read 16389 times)

Offline 7mm ed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: New pistol advice
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2018, 04:05:47 AM »
take a look at the new sig p365 9mm . they just came out

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
Shot the g19 and liked it. Fits in my hand nicely as well. Now I just have to find a place to sell me one. Going to the sportsman's show this weekend, maybe someone there will have a deal. Anyone have a recommendation on a good place to buy with good prices?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
For those of you whom like the dependability and accessories available but don't like the grip... have you held one of the 80% not a glock frames? Since they are both available I. G17 & 19 sizes, and I've heard they have a 1911 style grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline magnanimous_j

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2018, 10:56:54 AM »
http://lowpriceguns.com/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns/glock-19-standard-9mm-402-151-wfixed-sights-polymer-grip-matte-black

If you don't mind the drive and you don't don't mind that its a Gen3, you can save a few bucks.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »
I've never been in a gun fight and don't plan on it.  However, there have been two occasions in my life where I was prepared to draw and fire before the situation de-escalated. 

My WSP buddy tells me they are going back to 9mm because the studies of LEO gunfights show the more bullets the better the outcome for LEO; capacity is more important than individual round performance. 

I think personal defensive carry is quite a bit different, so carry what you are committed to carrying.  Being able to draw a handgun is a huge game changer in a defensive situation, and if it ever comes to it putting a round into play is another huge game changer - in most defensive situations a shot fired is going to eliminate the threat, whether you hit or miss.  In the incredibly rare situation where the threat remains, it's nice to have more shots.  If you are willing to let your carry preference dictate your wardrobe you can carry almost anything you want.  I second the suggestion to shoot as many handguns as you can and find the one you love to shoot best.  I've had many handguns, and still have quite a few.  Based on my philosophy I find my LCP to fit all my carry needs with an IWB holster, especially during hot summer months, and I have one that shoots reasonably well at 7 yards: 90%+ of slow fire hit center of mass, while a rapid fire magazine dump will put at least two on target.  However, I frequently carry either an LCR in .38+p for more energy or a P238 for more accuracy.  For the woods and rural activities I usually carry a 4" Ruger Security Six in .357. 

I would not feel terribly undergunned with a .22LR.  I've killed over 500 crippled/nuisance deer and antelope between point blank and 40 yards with a 6" Ruger Mark II with a variety of .22 ammo, enough to know that terminal performance of CCI stingers is darned impressive with a real possibility of overpenetration, in urban areas I often used standard velocity RN ammo as I never had one exit a deer-sized animal, and one in the lungs will make one sick enough that it will lay down and can be finished at close range with a second shot within a few minutes.  Not exactly relevant to the CCW discussion directly, my point is almost any good performing expanding bullet will put a serious hurt on man-sized opponents.  One of many articles available looking at the issue of stopping power in real life:  https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

The takehome is bigger is better.  However, that ONLY APPLIES IF you are carrying when the assault takes place.  So find a handgun that is comfortable to shoot and carry, and maximize your chances of having A handgun when you need it.  If you know you are going into a fight, I hope you have a long gun in your hands :)   
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
I've never been in a gun fight and don't plan on it.  However, there have been two occasions in my life where I was prepared to draw and fire before the situation de-escalated. 

My WSP buddy tells me they are going back to 9mm because the studies of LEO gunfights show the more bullets the better the outcome for LEO; capacity is more important than individual round performance. 

I think personal defensive carry is quite a bit different, so carry what you are committed to carrying.  Being able to draw a handgun is a huge game changer in a defensive situation, and if it ever comes to it putting a round into play is another huge game changer - in most defensive situations a shot fired is going to eliminate the threat, whether you hit or miss.  In the incredibly rare situation where the threat remains, it's nice to have more shots.  If you are willing to let your carry preference dictate your wardrobe you can carry almost anything you want.  I second the suggestion to shoot as many handguns as you can and find the one you love to shoot best.  I've had many handguns, and still have quite a few.  Based on my philosophy I find my LCP to fit all my carry needs with an IWB holster, especially during hot summer months, and I have one that shoots reasonably well at 7 yards: 90%+ of slow fire hit center of mass, while a rapid fire magazine dump will put at least two on target.  However, I frequently carry either an LCR in .38+p for more energy or a P238 for more accuracy.  For the woods and rural activities I usually carry a 4" Ruger Security Six in .357. 

I would not feel terribly undergunned with a .22LR.  I've killed over 500 crippled/nuisance deer and antelope between point blank and 40 yards with a 6" Ruger Mark II with a variety of .22 ammo, enough to know that terminal performance of CCI stingers is darned impressive with a real possibility of overpenetration, in urban areas I often used standard velocity RN ammo as I never had one exit a deer-sized animal, and one in the lungs will make one sick enough that it will lay down and can be finished at close range with a second shot within a few minutes.  Not exactly relevant to the CCW discussion directly, my point is almost any good performing expanding bullet will put a serious hurt on man-sized opponents.  One of many articles available looking at the issue of stopping power in real life:  https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

The takehome is bigger is better.  However, that ONLY APPLIES IF you are carrying when the assault takes place.  So find a handgun that is comfortable to shoot and carry, and maximize your chances of having A handgun when you need it.  If you know you are going into a fight, I hope you have a long gun in your hands :)   

:tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »
So I bought the gen5 g19 and absolutely love it. It's a blast to shoot and it's more accurate than I am.  I'm having a harder time finding a holster for it that I like  but from reading here and elsewhere looks like the alien gear iwb might be my next test.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. Truly appreciated.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
Not a semi, but quite the unique option!

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2018, 04:13:35 PM »
So I bought the gen5 g19 and absolutely love it. It's a blast to shoot and it's more accurate than I am.  I'm having a harder time finding a holster for it that I like  but from reading here and elsewhere looks like the alien gear iwb might be my next test.

If you're looking for an IWB, I have been really happy with Don Hume products. I have IWBs from them for a few guns. The one I use 90% of the time is 15 years old. Hard to beat for $35.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »

If you're looking for an IWB, I have been really happy with Don Hume products. I have IWBs from them for a few guns. The one I use 90% of the time is 15 years old. Hard to beat for $35.

Just looked it up and ordered one. Everyone seems to be as happy with them as the alien gear one and the don Hume holster looks better to my eye. If I'm going to trust the internet and it's a consensus on both brands might as well get the better looking one right? Thanks for the recommendation

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2018, 11:57:02 PM »
👍

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2018, 07:26:35 AM »
357 Sig. Take a lookie loo at that caliber..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:55:26 AM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
I have a large collection of holsters. You will likely need more than one depending on what you are wearing and what you will be doing.
Holsters are also totally dependent on "your preference" What I like to carry may not work the the next guy.

The most "comfortable" IWB holsters I have used are the hybrid leather and kydex.
Crossdbreeds are comfortable and quality is good.
Glaco King Tuk is a much better quality and the most comfortable IWB holster I have owned.
The best all leather I own is my Milt Sparks Versa Max II, is second in comfort to the King Tuk, but un-matched leather work and quality.
Galco Southern Comfort II is another good leather option  for IWB.
Kydex holsters, I do not care for the feel of Kydex against my skin, so I do not use Kydex IWB holsters that do not have a leather backing and I do not care for neoprene or foam IWB holsters. None I have tried were the sweet spot.
I love Kydex for OWB.
As Fish Vacuum stated, Don Hume makes very good holsters as well.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg