collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brooks Range Caribou Hunt  (Read 24741 times)

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Re: Brooks Range Caribou Hunt
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
Did we just see the inside of your mouth?? :chuckle:

I thought the same thing  :chuckle:

Online buggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Any pics of the camp he provided?

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
Which outfitter was this? Did he (or you guys) already have the camp picked out ahead of time? When we went up we didn’t know where we would be camped until about five minutes before the bush pilot took off because we wanted to discuss where the caribou were and where they were headed. Literally had at least a dozen caribou in sight from the tent the entire time in the field and it never let up.

I’m glad you had a successful hunt and experienced Alaska. It gets better every time.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
He has several spots in mind, but we are limited to the river, since we went in by airboat.  If the migration had begun, I am quite certain we would have been right in their path.  Nothing the outfitter could do about that.  It's all timing.  He did offer to move us, but explained we would not see any more caribou than we were already seeing, but there would be less people near by.  Hind sight, I'm kind of wishing we'd taken him up on it, but 2 of the guys in camp did not want to move.  One other thing I wanted to mention was the Inreach.  What an awesome piece of gear.  No problem texting back home, the outfitter and even other HuntWa members up hunting the same area!  Well worth the money!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
Brooks Range Caribou Hunt
« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »
Here is the tents he provided.  We had to set camp up.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:03:30 PM by jackelope »
Fred Moyer

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »
Am I missing something?  That kind of looks like the $40 tent I bought for my kids to play "camping" in the back yard with.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »
Am I missing something?  That kind of looks like the $40 tent I bought for my kids to play "camping" in the back yard with.

Not to mention that boat in the background! Thats a pool toy!

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »

I think that is literally a $40 Challenger raft

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »

I think that is literally a $40 Challenger raft

It is.

I mean, I'm sure it worked fine for fording the river there. I have an even cheaper one I used for fishing alpine lakes(15 bucks on amazon) until I broke down and bought a alpacka. For the record, I still have the $15 raft. It still doesn't leak. I just would expect a little more.

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
I just looked at their website. It looks like their core competency is really transport.  They charge extra for "camping gear."  Maybe that's just not their niche.

They sure do seem to experience some successes... They're probably just really focused on the "unguided" part of the agreement.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »

Pretty much.  The gear is not higher end stuff and some of that I understand...some of it, like the kitchen gear, fishing gear..etc...was disappointing.  One of the guys on the trip brought up a very valid point.  The outfitter essentlially provided the transportation in and out for us and our gear and the transportation of the meat out.  That's what he covered.  The rental gear was provided by another company, which is run by his family member.  On the gear end a little thought and slight improvements would have made it a much better experience on that front.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:49:22 AM by Machias »
Fred Moyer

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »
I just did the same hunt, I believe you were right below us on the river, we did hear your 7 shot fiasco when you harvested your bull. 5 shots all at once and then 2 more a few minutes later.

We had troubles with gear and the outfitter. He made us wait at the ramp twice for 4 hours each time going in and out, we were in an airboat wreck, he gave us a soaked tent and no cook stove for 2 days, our tent was better than yours was, cabelas alanak, but during the blizzard the wind nearly destroyed it. Also there is no way to keep it warm since they have mesh windows you cannot close, water would condensate on the mesh and drip on us all night on the inside of the rain fly.

Long story short, Ryan had a lot of bad luck this year with boats (sunk 1 another catastrophic breakdown). He was trying as hard as he could but with our service we will look for another hunt next time we do caribou.

We did harvest some animals, and had a great trip once we were in. The camps were way to close together, we hiked 60 miles in 7 days of hunting and ran into other hunters from other camps daily.

I kept a detailed journal of our experience, I'm undecided how I'm going to post the trip yet when I finish the article.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
Good job Machias on your success! Happy for you!

And thank you for an honest review, I think a lot of people , myself included, have such a romantic view of hunting Alaska, honesty as yours keep them in check and really save some serious heartache.  :tup:
Just tend your own and live.

Online ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2018, 12:05:31 PM »
I just did the same hunt, I believe you were right below us on the river, we did hear your 7 shot fiasco when you harvested your bull. 5 shots all at once and then 2 more a few minutes later.

We had troubles with gear and the outfitter. He made us wait at the ramp twice for 4 hours each time going in and out, we were in an airboat wreck, he gave us a soaked tent and no cook stove for 2 days, our tent was better than yours was, cabelas alanak, but during the blizzard the wind nearly destroyed it. Also there is no way to keep it warm since they have mesh windows you cannot close, water would condensate on the mesh and drip on us all night on the inside of the rain fly.

Long story short, Ryan had a lot of bad luck this year with boats (sunk 1 another catastrophic breakdown). He was trying as hard as he could but with our service we will look for another hunt next time we do caribou.

We did harvest some animals, and had a great trip once we were in. The camps were way to close together, we hiked 60 miles in 7 days of hunting and ran into other hunters from other camps daily.

I kept a detailed journal of our experience, I'm undecided how I'm going to post the trip yet when I finish the article.

Please do.  It really helps.  And there are untold amounts of people who lurk, and learn from these writeups as well.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »

Looking forward to your write up.  Congrats on the animals your group harvested. 
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]